Author Topic: Drum Brake Arcing(skimming)  (Read 5148 times)

Offline curly001

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Drum Brake Arcing(skimming)
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 11:16:52 am »
MX, went well. Drum skimmed shoes rebonded and arced all for a $100. Note they had to remove the wheel bearings to get on there lathe. The cost was very reasonable.  I can tell you it would not have been easy removing the bearings on my old honda hub as I couldn'nt remove the bearing retaining plate. Recommend Burt Bros at Farfield st Farfeild looking to get brake work done. Curly

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 11:31:10 am »
 You should be happy with that price. Very reasonable.
There was another way of doing that mentioned in the American husky forum.
They glued sandpaper to the brake shoes , reassembled and gave it a spin with the brakes partially on.
Then they reversed the sandpaper sticking it to the hub and repeated the whole process.
Sounded like a good idea and matched the shoes to the drum. :)
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

mx250

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 11:34:35 am »
MX, went well. Drum skimmed shoes rebonded and arced all for a $100. Note they had to remove the wheel bearings to get on there lathe. The cost was very reasonable.  I can tell you it would not have been easy removing the bearings on my old honda hub as I couldn'nt remove the bearing retaining plate. Recommend Burt Bros at Farfield st Farfeild looking to get brake work done. Curly
Thanks Curly, good info (especially the bearing removal - wouldn't you have the shits if you turned up with a freshly refurbed hub and bearings doing the liners as the 'last thing' :-[).

mx250

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 11:42:50 am »
You should be happy with that price. Very reasonable.
There was another way of doing that mentioned in the American husky forum.
They glued sandpaper to the brake shoes , reassembled and gave it a spin with the brakes partially on.
Then they reversed the sandpaper sticking it to the hub and repeated the whole process.
Sounded like a good idea and matched the shoes to the drum. :)
That's interesting as well (but the Burt Bros includes bonding of new material (and probably selecting or nominating lining characteristics) which evens the equation up somewhat).

I'm assuming about the choice of linings. Years ago we set up my MX250 for the 2rd Castrol Nepean Six Hour. Talking to those who had run the year before we found out that the brakes were 'an issue' after 6 hours of continuous racing. We laced up a 7in TLS Yammy YDS front hub/brake and Burt Bros provided the racing liners. No probs for us with brake fade ;D.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 11:56:23 am »
Don,t get me wrong MX , when I said he should be happy with the price I MEANT it.
With the new shoes included that is a fantastic price.
I was just putting a poor mans idea up as well.
Although at that price why did I bother?
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 02:51:06 pm »
 Hey oldskool, did you meet up with an old family friend of mine named Tony Newton? at Villawood trucks?
 pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 07:45:45 pm »
hi pancho was he a customer or he worked there? there was a big fella that used to help the bosses younger brother with the sprint car and drive the transporter i think his name was tony.or was he the fella doing the chassis extensions and stuff when villawood trucks moved to windsor?it was around 18 years ago i worked there you might have to refresh my memory its not that good any more :D cheers gary