Author Topic: Bendigo Longtrack 1975  (Read 49639 times)

Offline RW490

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Bendigo Longtrack 1975
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2013, 01:27:40 AM »
Hey Foss
Great story, brings back some great memories for me. As a family we used to go to Bendigo every Boxing night to watch the races. We used to stay in a camper van at the track on the hill at the top end of the pits. I had the good fortune as a kid to see Phil Crump win that 15 lapper I think it was with the spare jawa tanks mounted on the front and one either side of the original tank. I saw terry Rooney and Dean Taylor racing sidecars, Rod Hunter and Chris Kelly on his the bultaco Astro, Bernnt Persson and Gary Guelimi as a B Grader. I also went to the International there when John Titman, Phil Crump, Ivan Mauger and most of the Australian team rode. One day Mitch Shirra rode a Weslake with twin carburettors on it and I think I still have a photo that I took during interval of that bike somewhere. But I have never seen anything like Clarry Jones on a Hagon using what looked like Honda monkey bike tanks. At first I laughed and then was amazed at how quick he was. In later years I rode many meetings there and was unfortunate to have blown up my pride and joy on the main straight with one lap to go whilst leading the First heat of the Victorian Short Track Titles. I know how you guys felt after blowing a motor.
Rick

The rod cut the engine bolts and we had to tie wire the motor to the chassis as it was sagging when on the trailer coming back to Wangaratta.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:32:59 AM by RW490 »
Jack of all Master of none

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2013, 06:52:43 AM »
Thats a big blow-up Rick !!!, sorta goes to prove the Big Bang theory, huh ??
Now I'm worried 'cos I've got a Wessie to work on !

" The rod cut the engine bolts and we had to tie wire the motor to the chassis as it was sagging when on the trailer coming back to Wangaratta."

Know how that goes mate, we had to strap the engine plates together to get the Elstar back to Goulburn !!!.
I've always reckoned if ya dont blow an engine or fall off once in a while, ya probably not trying hard enough !!
Foss

Offline 52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2013, 05:58:44 PM »
Great story about Australian Dirt Track, why do our local rags keep rehashing stories predominatly US based when WE have so many interesting bikes!

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2020, 01:37:45 PM »
Just a quick entry from my phone to push this thread up the list guys so i can revisit
It on the computer when i get time.

Too hard to read on phone
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 07:21:42 PM by Hoony »
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2020, 07:20:08 AM »
Great idea will do the same