Author Topic: Bendigo Longtrack 1975  (Read 49299 times)

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
  • Just call me...ALVIN !!....courtesy of Slides 29 !
    • View Profile
Re: Bendigo Longtrack 1975
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 10:10:37 PM »
Alvin in 1971 at Amaroo Park !!
Dirt Track Racer late 60's/throughout 70's

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 08:02:27 PM »
That Yammy that Charlie put together was awsome. The sound, speed and the rooster tail it produced is still pretty clear in my memory. I've got a photo of Phil Crump at Romsey on the 350 water bottle. Jeezuz!! ya should have seen that thing go. I'll post it soon ;) And Johnny Dewhurst on the RG500 water bottle Faarkin' hell. Crazy stuff back then.Every year the speed nuts would come up with something faster(hopefully). They would sneek into the pits with a cover over their new secret weapon and a crowd would gather for the unveiling. When the covers came off there  would be gasps of disbelief,chuckles,lots of laughter and a lot of bullshit and stirring. It was bloody great.
Charlie will tell you all about it Foss I'm sure. Great times then. Not to much red tape to contend with
     cheers  Mark

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 08:19:25 AM »
Interesting result list , Alvin.It seems that the NSW S/C Champs were run over a number of rounds BITD and the legends that were riding in that round !!.

Another thing that struck me is that Douggy Penrose is listed as riding a CSD in the Ultra Lightweight and Lightweight, now that's gotta be Clement Sorrel Daniels bikes, the tuning whizz from down the 'Gong way, have you got any clues on that , Pete ??. 'cos I thought Clem was a road race tuner.
Foss

« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 08:28:05 AM by JAP 454 »

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 10:58:21 AM »
Interesting result list , Alvin.It seems that the NSW S/C Champs were run over a number of rounds BITD and the legends that were riding in that round !!.

Another thing that struck me is that Douggy Penrose is listed as riding a CSD in the Ultra Lightweight and Lightweight, now that's gotta be Clement Sorrel Daniels bikes, the tuning whizz from down the 'Gong way, have you got any clues on that , Pete ??. 'cos I thought Clem was a road race tuner.
Foss
Clem was a good short circuit tuner before turning to road racing. I rode a CSD special at Wambanumba in Young many years ago. It was an MX100 Yamaha with one of his tricked up 125 twins in it. It was super quick but not a great handler, but I still managed second in the final behind Fraz - he didn't lose too many races on the Ron MacKenzie Bultaco.

Offline Godden79

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2013, 08:45:51 PM »
    Charlie Edwards & Nigel Boocock in England ( TR3 in Hagon Frame )

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2013, 09:00:17 PM »
What a pisser of a pic , Lennie, two absolute legends !!
Foss

Offline Godden79

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2013, 09:03:43 PM »
                  Nigel Bookcock & Charlie Edwards

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2013, 09:07:55 PM »
Dunno much about cars , Lennie, but is that Charlie's Charger in the background ?? Rumour says he still has it, bloody hell they look young in that shot, but then, I guess we all did back then !! thanks for posting the piccys.
Foss

Offline Godden79

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2013, 09:14:13 PM »
Dunno much about cars , Lennie, but is that Charlie's Charger in the background ?? Rumour says he still has it, bloody hell they look young in that shot, but then, I guess we all did back then !! thanks for posting the piccys.
Foss
Hey Foss, Yeah thats the Orange( vitamin C ) Charger in the background,Chas told me years ago all his passengers' Fingerprints are still embedded in the dash Ha Ha,
  I have a couple more pics somewhere here ,Stay Posted !!!!!

Offline Godden79

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2013, 09:18:49 PM »
  Chas & Les Lewis jnr.         After the Hagon , The TR3 was setup in an Elstar !

Curly3

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2013, 09:23:44 PM »
Awesome nostalgia, thanks Len.
I remember Carlos and Les jnr going hard at several times and Charlie, say no more, dead set legend.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2013, 09:50:04 PM »
That British Lions solo team (Boocock) came to West Aust and whoops ass in 74.
Score 59 to Archers 31  :o  :'(
Best is in the West !!

Offline Godden79

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2013, 09:53:11 PM »
Foss

Foss The Charger E38 was Restored by my brother David a few years ago, and eventually sold through Shannons auctions ( note the number plate )

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 09:55:08 PM by Godden79 »

Offline Godden79

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2013, 10:19:16 PM »

Foss

Foss talking about Clem Daniels,My good friends Bryce and Glen Davies restored one of Clem's  125 Batam's (CSD 3 ) here in Griffith into road race trim.It was purchased many years ago by Glen from one of the Ohem Brothers from Junee,Here is some of the story on that bike.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 10:21:35 PM by Godden79 »

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2013, 07:33:17 PM »
I first met Charlie Edwards in 1966 at Narranderra short circuit. I was 8 yrs old. I saw Charlie's Hagon Jap for the first time. I was hooked.
I went there with my Dad and his mate Harry Rowe who raced sidecar. My two brothers went also along with Harry's passenger
Dave Howard. Charlies bike was  parked in the pits beside Les Lewis snr's bike. They were identical apart from the race number.
789 for Charlie's and 786 for Les' . Charlie was my idol from that day,...still is for that matter. Any way I grew up and started racing
short circuit and raced Charlie quite a few times. Never beat him though,...he was a gun rider. The image of those two Hagons is still vivid.
Another thing that I remember is that Charlie wore nice white overalls over his leathers back then.
I think he was a professional pilot as well. Thanks Len for posting the pics and info . 
    regards   Mark