Author Topic: Alpina?  (Read 8119 times)

mainline

Alpina?
« on: May 01, 2011, 04:49:00 pm »
What are they like? Piece of poo? Best thing since sliced bread? I've found one, probably 76/77 fairly tidy, running, unrestored. What thinketh thou?

TooFastTim

Re: Alpina?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 05:14:52 pm »
For what? Trials? Enduros? MX?

Not a very good trials bike, nor a very good MX bike. But very successful in the very hard enduros that were characteristic of the North Eastern US (New England) in the '70's. Tolerable trail bike.

From FeetupFuns posting on TrialsCentral (http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/34790-sherpa-alpina/page__p__262025__hl__alpina__fromsearch__1#entry262025):

"Only the very first and last models of the Alpina are close in design to the Sherpa T of the same year. Even those Alpina models are not as good as the Sherpa T of the same year to ride in sections. The differences vary from model to model, but the Alpina is generally inferior to the Sherpa T in that the hubs are heavier, the steering trail is too great (most Alpinas use Pursang triple clamps), the wheelbase is too long, the tanks are bulky, some frames are heavier (more frame elements) and the gearbox ratios are too far apart in the lower gears (1,2,3) and too close together (3,4,5).
Having said all that, any Alpina is a better bike for trials-type riding than any MX based bike of the same era.
In comparison with the Alpina, the OSSA Explorer and Montesa Cota Trail models are much more easily made into capable twinshock trials bikes.
"

The Alpina was developed, originally, from the Sherpa T as a trail bike intended for technical not fast trails. In other words it is or was a true trail bike as opposed to an enduro bike. It was developed for a specific niche market in Spain but managed to succeed in very technical enduros such as those common the the NE US at that time.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 05:32:36 pm by TooFastTim »

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 05:43:13 pm »
I'm looking for a model 212
previous pseudonym feetupfun

mainline

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 06:16:26 pm »
thanks for the info, sort of backed up what i'd read, ie. a bike to suit a niche market.

For what? Trials? Enduros? MX?

I was thinking mainly Supercross, with a bit of freestyle when I have the time ?

I'm looking for a model 212

What's a 212? if this thing is something you're after I'll let you know. I'm not in love with it, it was just that it's an old bike in a shed, you know how it is ;D

mainline

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 06:20:02 pm »
looked like this from mammary (not as shiny though), might have to check though, didn't have a camera on me

TooFastTim

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 06:31:09 pm »
I was thinking mainly Supercross, with a bit of freestyle when I have the time ?

Ha ha bloody ha  ;D

What's a 212?

Model number. The serial number will start with a 212 if it's the bike David (feetupfun) is looking for. For detaisl re Bultos model/serial numbers see here: http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/36018-bultaco-198-model-numbers-help/. For a pics of various model numbers have a look here: http://cemoto.tripod.com/bultaco.htm

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 06:47:53 pm by TooFastTim »

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 06:30:12 am »
Model number 212 would be a 1978 Alpina 250.paul.
what ! Who me ? Nah

Offline BultacoMacca

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 05:09:19 pm »
Alpina's are what they are....a great mountain trail bike.
They've got a mix of features like Dave says, light weight, manouverable, and torquey, but with a wide ratio gearbox so you can move a bit quicker than a proper trials bike. They come in 250cc or 350cc power.
Norm Frasers sold a lot of them in Newcastle in their day, I couldn't even get one as they'd all gone at the time....had to buy a Mk5 Matador instead.

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 06:51:56 pm »
    In the early 70's ally's were really popular inmy part of mid northern new south (mostly bought from fraser's), we use to go out the bush as  alpina only groups(mostly) and head straight for the narlyest hill's and stuff we could find,where they really come into their own ! and pity anyone who tryed to follow on a standard trailbike :D and being registered you could call into the odd bush pub for a cleansing ale on the way home ;) Great time's on top little bike's !

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 07:19:20 pm »
I rode a road-registered M85 (called a 350 but was 325cc) Alpina when I was 17 and it was certainly a great bike for trail riding in the mountains NW of Brisbane and I also rode it on the road to Uni and also in trials competition with the Northern Districts Trials Club. Preparation for a trial was a Saturday job removing the lights and rego plates and fitting a huge rear sprocket.
It was quite an education as a newly licenced road rider riding it on gravel roads with the standard gearing. It had had quite a bit of stick for a lightweight youngster and got to top speed (about 120km/h) quite quickly, probably too quickly a few times until I managed to control my throttle hand. I still have the feeling of the front end (bridgestone trials tyre) letting go on a sweeping bend in the Samford Forestry at about 100km/h.
It was easily the best bike at the time for climbing the steep track near Arana Hills called "honda hill". Not sure if that was cos Hondas couldn't get up it or what?
Few years later (1978) there was an Engine Reconditioning teacher called Darcy Redman (great bloke) at newly opened Mt Gravatt TAFE college who just bought a new green M212 while I worked there. I had an IT175D by then which I thought was god's gift to motorbike riders and felt pity for this older bloke who had bought something so "old fashioned" as a Bultaco Alpina. I am now 52 years old and think that the M212 is the best Alpina for me and that maybe Darcy Redman did know a thing or two about bikes after all.
Anyway some time in the 1990s I ended up with a very sad M138 and a couple of Cota 348s as a part swap for my TM125. That M138 is now quite nice and probably the best of the Alpinas for spirited trail riding, but it is not an M85 or a M212 - hence why I seek a green M212.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 07:50:33 pm by feetupfun »

TooFastTim

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 09:20:50 pm »

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 09:38:03 pm »
Thats a nice looking bike Feetee.....reminds me of the Yamaha DT3 with those colors.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 07:20:12 pm »
Thanks Tim that one looks just like how I remember the one my friend bought new - maybe even better looking than new, as some of the restored Spanish bikes around the place are.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 07:26:31 pm »
the Northern Districts Trials Club.
Best club in SE/QLD at the time. ;)
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

TooFastTim

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 09:04:27 pm »
as some of the restored Spanish bikes around the place are.

I love that 200 Pursang (on my shortlist) on Hughs site. But USD 8,500????