Author Topic: Stop Press Husky Legend at CD 8  (Read 5578 times)

Offline HuskyPete

• A-Grade
  • Huskys Only, maybe a CCM
    • View Profile
Stop Press Husky Legend at CD 8
« on: April 28, 2011, 06:16:06 pm »
From the VMX Magazine News Web site
"Classic Dirt 8 Update #3
(Posted 27 April 2011)

STOP PRESS!

Husky legend Gunnar Lindstrom will be attending Suzuki CD8, as a special guest of the 'Team Husky' duo, Rob Shoemark and 'Husky Pete' Andrews. As you are aware, Husqvarna is 'On Show' as the featured brand for CD8 so Gunnar's attendance will be a highlight of the weekend. There will be a host of Husqvarna-based displays/interviews/rides over the weekend.

As well as recently releasing his book 'Husqvarna Success' (available to purchase at CD8), Gunnar has a very long history in the motocross world. Swedish-born Lindstrom helped to establish the Husqvarna brand in the USA in the late '60s, while working for the Husky factory in Sweden. He was a leading Trans-AMA and Inter-AMA rider of the early 1970s, and went on to win two AMA 250cc Motocross Nationals and was ranked third in that series in 1972. Prior to his move to the US, Lindstrom had even competed in Australia in late 1967, meeting up with US rider JN Roberts while he was here, and who he later teamed up with for race events such as the Mint 400 in America. Gunnar left USA Husqvarna's employ in 1974 and became Editor of Dirt Bike Magazine. His next major step in the industry was a move to Honda, in 1978, where he was brought in to manage their motocross racing program, eventually moving into Honda's automotive division, where he went on to a number of senior position."

We are expecting the "Husqvarna Success" books will be signed by the Legend of "On any Sunday" and multiple ISDE winner Malcolm Smith, there will a limited number of books so you will have to get in early ;). We had the pleasure of meeting Gunnar in LA recently and he is a super guy who went out of his way to ensure we had a good time there, not only that but his son is Chad Reeds mechanic.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 06:19:05 pm by 67Husky »
1967 360 Viking, 1969 360 Cross, 1974 250 Mag x 3, 1974 400 Cross x 1, 1974 450 WR, 1975 250GP, 1976 250 WR, 1978 390 Auto, 1982.5 500 Gold Bullet. 1976 390 OR, 78 CCM

Doggy Digger

Re: Stop Press Husky Legend at CD 8
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 06:26:09 pm »
Good work, Husky Central  :-)

I had no idea LINDSTROM and JN ROBERTS raced Downunder (before my time).   Has anybody
got any info on this 1967 event/meeting please?

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 07:43:50 pm »
Good work, Husky Central  :-)

I had no idea LINDSTROM and JN ROBERTS raced Downunder (before my time).   Has anybody

Did we ever run this event in 67 ----International Six Days Enduro ??
Best is in the West !!

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 08:28:25 pm »
Did we ever run this event in 67 ----International Six Days Enduro ??

No not in Oz.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 08:29:26 pm »
I do remember my brother Dennis racing at the same meeting as Linstrom, in 1967, my brother often spoke about him at the time, but l can`t remeber what track.

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 08:45:25 pm »
Christmas Hills 1967 in VIC
Snake Gully in Adelaide
Mt Kembla in NSW
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 10:18:13 pm by KB171 »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 09:23:39 pm »
Christmas Hills 1968 in VIC

Yes it would have to be in Vic with the amount of VMX varmets... :P   ;D 
Not a National Title event though must have been a series or another Open event. ??
68 title was held in Collie WA..A first title win for Yamaha's..the mighty DT  ;)
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline KTMaico

• A-Grade
  • "Love or Lust it's always a Maico"
    • View Profile
    • Maico Lovers & Fans
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 12:24:54 am »
can I ask if Hans Aplegren is a definate to attend CD8 this year?
1981 Maico 490 (Special Build)
1979 Husqvarna CR250
1975 Suzuki RH250
1975 Suzuki RM125 S
1959 Mk1 Jaguar 3.4 4 speed manual with O/Drive

Offline HuskyPete

• A-Grade
  • Huskys Only, maybe a CCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 07:13:33 am »
The last time i talked to Hans he said he would be there ;)

1967 360 Viking, 1969 360 Cross, 1974 250 Mag x 3, 1974 400 Cross x 1, 1974 450 WR, 1975 250GP, 1976 250 WR, 1978 390 Auto, 1982.5 500 Gold Bullet. 1976 390 OR, 78 CCM

TooFastTim

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 09:10:31 am »
I had no idea LINDSTROM and JN ROBERTS raced Downunder (before my time).   Has anybody

There's a write up about the latest edition of Transmoto. The article is about Tim Gibbes.

firko

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 10:22:41 am »
Excerpt from 'Australian Motorcycle News-The First Thirty Years'....... circa 1982

Australia suffered the first of its many embarrassments at the hands of overseas motocross riders during the summer of 67/68 when Gunnar Lindstrom (Husqvarna development rider), John Lewis (Welsh champion), J.N.Roberts ((USA), Morley Sherrifs(NZ) and Ivan Miller (NZ) rode roughshod over our national pride in a series of meetings. Miller returned to Australia in mid-'68 to dominate and upgrade the standard of local scrambling with a pair of Montesa Cappras.

That's about all I can find right now but I'm yet to go through my REVS collection.

The exciting attendance of Gunnar Lindstrom at CD8 is a testiment to the dedication of Husky Pete and Shoey, the grand poobahs of Husky Central. Gunnars appearance is totally down to them. Peter was also responsible for the surprise appearance by the legendary Matt Daley at CD6 and there isn't a more dedicated fan of the Swedish marque than him. With Suzuki seemingly reluctant to sponsor any more legends for the time being, we owe Pete, Rob and the others at Husky Central a big pat on the back for keeping the concept alive.

If you know a legend of our sport who hasn't attended a Classic Dirt before, try and twist his arm to come along and become a part of the show. They don't have to ride if those days are past them, simply meeting these old greats is one of the real joys of the Classic Dirt concept.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 10:27:04 am by firko »

Doggy Digger

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 10:29:07 am »
Yep, good on the Husky Central crew.  More snore-fests will echo out of the valley this year, no doubt   :-)

Miller, Firko.   Now there's a guy I'd love to see again!!

TooFastTim

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 10:43:52 am »
Australia suffered the first of its many embarrassments at the hands of overseas motocross riders during the summer of 67/68 when Gunnar Lindstrom (Husqvarna development rider), John Lewis (Welsh champion), J.N.Roberts ((USA), Morley Sherrifs(NZ) and Ivan Miller (NZ) rode roughshod over our national pride in a series of meetings.

I think it's a bit harsh to describe a whitewash AT THAT TIME as an embarrasment. Like Australia (I suspect) SA was in the dark ages, with experience in the sport having been acquired internally. It was only when air travel and telecoms (international phonecalls) and the like became affordable that the shutters began to lift and the local riders began to realise what was necessary. In South Africa this began to occur in the late seventies when riders like Carlqvist, Everts and others became regular visitors but it really took off when Rex Staten, Jim Holley and a few other yanks made their base in SA. The results weren't long coming with Albertyn, Langston, Cooper, Herring, Dugmore and Rattray reaping the benefits of the exposure to the posse of yanks.

As another example consider the scene in the US. They were, until the early seventies, clueless. Riding to rules and on courses that were based on their own understanding of the sport. This understanding having been acquired from the occasional European magazine. It was only when the trans-AMA series started that the US began to understand what was required at world level and, like the Saffies, the results weren't long coming.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 10:58:34 am by TooFastTim »

firko

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 11:05:53 am »
I think it's a bit harsh to describe a whitewash AT THAT TIME as an embarrasment.
I agree Tim, but that little piece was written in 1982 when Aussie riders were just starting to hold their own with some of the overseas visitors and begin to emerge from the Aussie cultural cringe. In 1982 most of us could still remember overseas racers coming here and literally whipping our local arses and to many it was embarrassing. I can remember how confident I was that local heroes like Per Klitland and Brian Martin could compete on the same level with DeCoster, Aberg, Weil et al at Oran Park in 1972. The embarrassment of seeing them lapped on the second lap of a four lap race really brought home how far we had to go.

For the younger amongst you who aren't familiar with Gunnar Lindstrom, here's an interview which gives a pretty good insight into his history. He's an interesting dude.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/302/6019/Motorcycle-Article/Gunnar-Lindstrom-Husqvarna-Interview.aspx
Below: Gunnar on the cover of the August '72 issue of Dirt Cycle

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 12:09:10 pm by firko »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 11:17:36 am »
Sorry about two pages-couldn't dismantle the scanner lid  ;D
International Scrambler Demolish the Locals..Still haven't come that far now (Reedy may change that)  ;)   ;D  :-X  Actually you've got to give us a bit of credit with the like of Ray Fisher,Ray Owen,Geoff taylor,Matt daley,Laurie Alderton,Voumard and many more that made up the grid and took these world riders on.. :P... Aussie Aussie Aussie oi oi oi  8)

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 11:25:47 am by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!