Author Topic: 250XL elect  (Read 1144 times)

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
250XL elect
« on: April 27, 2011, 05:27:02 pm »
 I have a 250XL [1981] which was given to me about a year ago and I've decided to see if I can make it go.
 It is only missing a nipple on the end of the throttle cable, a tail lamp, rear blinkers and ignition key-lock.
 [It even has tools.]
 Of course the battery is cactus and I was hoping that one of you Honda gentlemen could advise me if I can get ignition by merely hooking two wires together without achieving meltdown, and if so which wires?
yours in anticipation pancho.

dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 250XL elect
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 05:42:08 pm »
If you are just wanting to get it to run you shouldn't need a battery, I,m pretty sure it just powers the indicators,horn etc,they would maybe even work without it but would be very weak/dull. They are only a fairly small battery & shouldn't be that exxy :)

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 05:53:51 pm »
 Yes smed I might just bite the bullet and buy a new battery, its just that I dont know what to do with it when I get it going!
 cheers pancho.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 06:00:41 pm »
 Thanks traily

trailietrash

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 06:06:00 pm »
If you just want to get it going, I have sent a PM on how to start it without the key but do keep the dead battery in circuit as it will still act as a load on the charging circuit and may prevent damage to the regulator and rectifier or regulator/rectifier depending on what it has.
You may be happy to keep the old battery when you find out just how much the dealer will want to charge you for a new after-market one.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 05:36:59 pm »
 It goes!
 I decided to look again so I fixed the throttle cable, then I got a torch and peered down the hole where the ignition barrel and key once lived and saw a slot where the lock mechanism pokedI poked a screwdriver down there and turned it, gave it two kicks and presto! it lives.
 I'l give it a good wash and change the oil and think about what to do with it.
 cheers pancho