Author Topic: 247 Cota pivot sleeve removal  (Read 1610 times)

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
247 Cota pivot sleeve removal
« on: April 26, 2011, 01:52:17 PM »
Any Monty experts who can tell me how to remove the swingarm's pivot sleeve from the swingarm on a 247 Cota (Mk5)?

The swingarm is out of the frame OK & the pivot shaft/bolt is also out, but I can't get the sleeve out of the bushes.

When I try pressing it thro, it wants to 'pick up' the bush & take it right thro the other side (whichever side I try it from) & just seizes up.

Any tricks to this? Am I missing something?

montynut

Re: 247 Cota pivot sleeve removal
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 06:17:58 PM »
I'm not sure from your description exactly how you are pressing them out. The inner pivot sleeve does have an 'o'ring on the outer edge which can be tight but I normally put a drift through from the opposite side and tap the inner sleeve out with little resistance. The inner sleeves and the bushes themselves push out from the centre toward the outside. Have you removed the oil filler screw and any grease nipples fitted? There is a seal on the inner edge of the swingarm to be removed before pressing the bush out.

I am not completely familiar with the 247 but all my Cappras, Enduro and 349 Cotas are like that. The Cota 200/242 have needle roller swingarm pivots but dismantle in a very similar method.

Hope that helps

Offline cappra

• Legend
  • Glendale, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Southwest Montesa
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 01:54:47 AM »
The 247 uses two rubber bushing and a sleeve in the middle.  Usually the sleeve gets "welded"
to the rubber bushing.  The bushing usually get destroyed when removing.  The best thing to do,
is to remove everything and have a couple of brass bushing made and be done with it.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 08:51:08 AM »
Thanks Jared, thats just what it feels like.

So I just use more force & press it thro, letting it take half the bushes with it?