Author Topic: VMX Bike for Learners  (Read 1317 times)

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
VMX Bike for Learners
« on: April 23, 2011, 06:57:47 pm »
What make and model would people recommend as a first bike for a reasonably tall 15 yr old to learn to ride on? Something with a friendly power band and parts not too scarce that its in the shed for months when need to fix the inevitable damage  ::) ::) Ideally something pre 85 but not essential. Two stroke preferred but I was thinking an XR 185/200 might fit the bill.
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: VMX Bike for Learners
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 08:11:37 pm »
As much as i love Honda, you cant go past a DT175, you will never kill it! and if my memory serves me correctly, they would be Pre-85:)
Cheers

Nada
Honda is the only way to roll!

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 10:37:26 pm »
both my daughters learnt on chinese bikes there are some quite good ones if you do your homework and parts are cheap.if you want jap bikes my average size 15 year old daughter rides a xr 100 plenty of parts available for these as they are the same bike from 85 to 04 just different colour scheme.only down fall with the 100 is gearing but change front sprocket to 15t and rear to 48t open up top of air box and unrestrict exhaust and there quite a quick bike and very light and easy to ride.my 18 year old daughter rides a 89 rm 80 haven't had to get parts yet so don't know how hard they are but wiseco has just about everything for engine rebuilds,gear levers and brake and clutch levers and perches are available on ebay in aus plastics are a bit hard to come by.it can be ridden quite sedately as my 18 year old dosen't ride hard.both bikes are very reliable although not pre 85 there still old bikes and are pre 90 hope this helps.your quite welcome to come and size him up on my bikes im on south side brisbane near yatala just send pm.cheers gary

mainline

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 11:03:21 pm »
What about an it175/200?

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 09:42:12 am »
You really can't go past an IT200 for a first bike for the budding VMX'er...wait a minute I think I have one of those http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=18574.0  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers
Shaun

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 09:51:41 am »
My tall boy (6'+ and almost 20 now) learnt all his tricks on the XR200 I rebuilt for him though he has always made it look small- too tall when he stands. But great bike to learn on.
I am working on an XR250 with a Loncin motor-the Honda motor will cost a motsa to rebuild, so I sorced a chinka from a mate and it has elecy start for him. ( how hard is it to teach kids how to kickstart a bike correctly???)