Author Topic: My new bike transporter  (Read 13422 times)

Offline bingil 6

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
My new bike transporter
« on: February 09, 2008, 10:22:47 am »

firko

Re: My new bike transporter
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 11:22:37 am »
Too cool Bing. How did you find a clean rust free XM (or is it XP,I can never remember) ute in tropical Nth Qld? I assume it has upgraded running gear going by the five stud bolt pattern so does it have a V8? I love the period venetian blinds and old school wheels. These old Aussie Falcons are getting as rare as shit as they all rusted away years ago. It's great to see a survivor!

Offline bingil 6

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 11:39:48 am »
Thanks' Firko, Yea she's a beut, I bought her as is of a guy in Vic, It's an XP & everything is  just about new on it, Glass, Rubbers, Suspention, Disc's etc etc only got a pre crossflow 250 with a 3:23 to 1 diff so it pulls real nice, Iv'e got some good gear that might go into later on , 289 , 8 3/4 diff etc but I'll leave here as it is for a while , It's my 3rd XP ute so you could say Iv'e a bit of a fetish for them?

Tony T

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 12:02:33 pm »
That's one seriously cool car, Bingil.  ;D
How's the engine bay. Where is everything?
Compare that to the shit that's under the bonnet of my '74 Benz coupe.  ???

Offline bingil 6

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 12:03:21 pm »
Here's a couple of my old ute with My 490 just arrived from the states & one a few hours later going for our first blast.bucket.com/albums/gg258/bingil6/Picture002.jpg[/IMG]

Offline bingil 6

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 12:58:19 pm »

Offline bingil 6

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 12:59:17 pm »

Offline bingil 6

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 01:14:48 pm »
Tony T , who changes the plugs in that thing for ya? I wouldn't like to pay them by the hour, But they are a classy rocket the old Mercs

Tony T

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 01:33:43 pm »
I spent the first decade of my working life on those things, so I'm used to it. Still ain't fun though............  >:(
I reckon I'll be able hear Firko from here when he sees the shot of the ute with the Maico in the back.  :D
Great stuff!

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 04:44:11 pm »
Bingal Make a hinged piece of C/section to put your bike tyres on and spread the weight load. Your tailgate will love you for it. To nice to buckle and bend it. Cheers Tim.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline bingil 6

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 05:19:38 pm »
I used to be able to wedge my old 75 250 Maico in the back of the ute with the tailgate up & it sat in there so snug I could travell all the way to Proserpine without any tie downs, miss that bike.

firko

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 03:51:51 pm »
Tony.....You call that sad little V8 an engine? ::) Now This is an engine! ;D And yes, Bing, changing the plugs on the V12 is an all day job that I usually shop out to my Jag guy who has all of the specially bent plug spanner gizmos to get into those tight spots. Since I fitted the Motek engine management system it doesn't seem to use plugs any more so I haven't had to change them for a couple of years now.....Love the shot of the Maico in the ute. I used to fit my old Maico in my EH ute with the gate closed. Like you and the Falcon, it wedged in and didn't need tie downs!

Tony T

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 04:07:11 pm »
Tony.....You call that sad little V8 an engine? ::)

:D :D
All of a sudden, my engine bay looks really quite roomy.  ;D
I remember watching one of our techs doing valves on an old LP400 Lamborghini Countach once.
All the carbs (6 of them) and Christ knows what else had to come off. Can't remember all what he had to do but the service part took him more than 2 days.  ::)
Hey Mark, you must have seriously girly little hands to be able work on that bloody thing.  ;)
Bet it's nice to drive though................  ;D

firko

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 04:21:49 pm »
Tony, I wish I had tiny girly hands to work on it. Unfortunately I have gnarly old boilermaker hands that fit nowhere!
Through a mate I managed to find an old retired Jaguar mechanic who is a walking encyclopedia on the Jag V12 engine. He loves them with a passion and is an old world craftsman who really takes his time but doesn't charge by the hour. He even uses a stethoscope to listen inside while it's running! The Jag is going to him in a month or so to have a 3:55 XJ6 diff fitted so the thing is better around town. The 2:9 diff in it now is a hoot on the freeway for the big speed numbers but it's a tad sluggish around town as it  doesn't come alive until 5000 rpm.  I've only got 2 points left on my licence so I can't take advantage of the speed any more. Yes Tony, it is a nice thing to drive, as your Merc is I'm sure. She passed rego today so she lives on for more on road fun.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 05:35:13 pm »
No wonder the pommy car industry fell over. The Motec is very high tech unlike you firko, easy conversion?
NIIIIIIIIIIIICCCEEEEEEEE ute BTW
Jesus only loves two strokes