Author Topic: Motcross bikes 1971 to 1980 pre-liquids  (Read 2068 times)

Offline sudman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Motcross bikes 1971 to 1980 pre-liquids
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:45:19 am »
This has to one of the best threads I have ever found for twin shockers, lots of pictures from the day.
CZ's with De Coster racing, Cheney CZ in action, Jim Pommeroy from 1974, 1972 Honda RC125, Everts Puch.

http://www.leguidevert.com/_V6/viewtopic.php?id=266382&p=1

It's a French site so let google translate do all the work for you.
PE175T,RM175T,C & J XL350 73,C&J XL350 75

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Motcross bikes 1971 to 1980 pre-liquids
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 02:48:58 pm »
Thanks subman thats  an awesome site ,with a bike pic for everyone :P  :P
Thats what I like about the big Classic Australian events, its a real show case of the different, the exotic and the rare..  8)
thanks for sharing
Cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 02:53:51 pm »
its mostly just CZ stuff or variants Ali, not much Jap if any early YAm.   :-[

74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 03:11:48 pm »
its mostly just CZ stuff or variants Ali,
There was a Puch too..I couldn't Falta it - great website  ;)  ;D a pic from West Oz cheers A
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:14:13 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Swiss

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 09:43:24 am »
There is also Honda XL350 stuff and Yamaha TT500 stuff if you search around the site.  Good postings and stuff that we don't normally see in the USA or AU..

Swiss

firko

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 10:30:56 am »
its mostly just CZ stuff or variants Ali, not much Jap if any early YAm.
Freaky, It's really hard for you young whippersnappers to grasp the fact that there was a time in our sports history when Japanese bikes were considered uncompetitive crap. In pre 1975 Europe you'd have been flat out finding a Japanese bike at an average provincial race meeting. Sure, the Japs were winning GP's but it was on unobtainium works bikes.  The more motocross savvy Euros were used to riding quality (for the day) bikes so they could tell a shitbox from a potential winner from 50 paces away, no need to actually ride them. The Japanese manufacturers knew that so they didn't export too many motocrossers to the European market in the early seventies. The RM Suzuki and monoshock Yamahas were the first bikes that they felt confident enough to offer to the Euros in any great numbers.
Add the fact that as all of the top makers at the time(CZ, Maico,Husqvarna, BSA and the Spaniards) were all produced in Europe, why would young Hans/Guztav/Miroslav or Nigel want to spend more money to buy an inferior Japanese product?

Disclaimer: Despite what might appear to be my slagging of the Japanese product of the day, my current bike roster actually concentrates on those very bikes. As uncompetitive as they were, I love 'em. ;D ;D

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 12:00:32 pm »

Disclaimer: Despite what might appear to be my slagging of the Japanese product of the day, my current bike roster actually concentrates on those very bikes. As uncompetitive as they were, I love 'em. ;D ;D
[/quote]

WOW, the Man in love with Yamaha's ;D, sweet dreams big fella :D

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 12:12:25 pm »
there is a nice speedway shot on page 6

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 03:32:36 pm »
Freaky, It's really hard for you young whippersnappers to grasp the fact that there was a time in our sports history when Japanese bikes were considered uncompetitive crap. In pre 1975 Europe you'd have been flat out finding a Japanese bike at an average provincial race meeting. Sure, the Japs were winning GP's but it was on unobtainium works bikes. Disclaimer: Despite what might appear to be my slagging of the Japanese product of the day, my current bike roster actually concentrates on those very bikes. As uncompetitive as they were, I love 'em. ;D ;D

so if i have a few of these unobtainable pre 75 bikes ( well the punter version )  im keener to see them,  so it holds some relevavance to my world.  you'd be surpridsed at how few original Early YZ fotos there are out there.   

Not that im against the euro/cold war stuff, im just into it as i dont have it, so i guess thats why my interests lies elsewhere.  beside who right shifts exept on a DT ?
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff