can moderns and VMX title races be combined

never , they are two separate disciplines
25 (75.8%)
who cares
1 (3%)
yes , lets tear up the tracks together
7 (21.2%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: mix moderns with VMX  (Read 3501 times)

YSS

mix moderns with VMX
« on: February 09, 2008, 09:11:15 am »
I think there is a movement to combine moderns with VMX . Is that really what everyone wants? Where would it lead to?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 09:23:12 am by YSS »

Maico31

Re: mix moderns with VMX
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 09:23:57 am »
We have the Thunder X series here in Qld where Evo and pre '85 is a support class with modern bikes on natural terrain tracks and it works well. But i wouldn't like to see modern bikes introduced to vintage meetings.

Offline bingil 6

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 10:01:03 am »
The classic meeting the Whitsunday dirt riders hold at Prosepine annualy incorpirates modern bikes on the program, it makes it a bit hard on the pre 78 & pre 75 bikes as by the end of the day the track is choped up and takes it's toll on the old fellas & there bikes

magoo

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 10:20:22 am »
Viper run 1 modern all in class at the meetings and it works well. It may be a way to help pay for meetings if a club is struggling for numbers.

Yamaboy

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 10:28:47 am »
It may work OK mixing moderns with Evo and pre 85 but it'd be disasterous for short travel bikes. As Bingil says, the moderns chop the track up too much.

gator

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 01:12:12 pm »
They said it was firko's idea :D :D

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 01:37:07 pm »
I think a modern meeting with a vintage class is a good thing but a vintage meeting with moderns is a no no which is the same as Maico31 said.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 02:17:12 pm »
this roughing up of the track stuff towards the end of the day "highlights" the shortcomings of anything pre78 and re-inforces the need for pre75 and earlier to run on different tracks.
i like my pre75.
"flat bickie"

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 12:49:53 pm »
Maybe the VMX support classes at a modern MX will serve to be a great recruiting tool?
At any modern MX you'll see plenty of oldies standing around spectating.
Their kids and their mates kids are out on the track doing the racing.
It's likely the majority of these older spectators are former dirt bike riders.
They'd recognise the old bikes from back in the day and probably enjoy having a look and swapping a few stories in the pits.

I've been to plenty of modern MX's over the years and was happy to just watch and go home.
But seeing the VMX bokes getting around after all these years gave me the bug and I'm getting back into it.
It worked for me.
and NO I don't think moderns should race on VMX specific tracks.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline bingil 6

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 01:14:53 pm »
I tend to agree with you Wombat as that is how I got back into the sport after attending a meeting that had an Evo class as a support for the modern classes I got all keen & went out & bought a bike the very next day, Also the advantages of running the modern bikes at a Vintage meet is that you will get a number of the younger riders showing interest in the old bikes & if any of them end up geeting involved in VMX that can only be a good thing as I think we would all agree the more the people involved in the sport the stronger it will be, I know that contradicts my earlier post on this subject but I'm sure we could come up with some sort of solution, Maybe have the track modified for different classes? I don't know but where there's a will there's a way

YSS

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 01:57:35 pm »
Perhaps the poll should ask :  A) is VMX all about racing ?  B) Is VMX about preserving history and ride the bikes for display to the joy of riders and onlookers.

Offline bingil 6

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 02:17:41 pm »
Personaly I think it's all of the above as which is what they try & encourage at the Proserpine VMX meeting, On the Saturday they have a show n shine where everybody into VMX in generaly gets involved & with the racing on the sunday all those who don't race get to see if all the shit us riders talk about with a bit of truth serum in us is accurate or not, but all jokes aside it's about the bikes & for people to enjoy them how the will.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 04:39:29 pm »
Of course there would need to be mods to the circuit for the older bikes, we all accept that.
Any Club willing to allow VMX as a support race could easily make a bypass for the snarly sections.
Those 'Supercross' style kick-arse multiple whoops (what do they call those f*ckin' things?) would need to be avoided.

The opening questions were:
Is this what people want? that will split the viewers...
Where will it lead? It can't be a bad thing can it?

"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

All Things 414

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 04:41:03 pm »
There seems to be so much concern about modern bikes ripping up tracks (and a 400cc 2 stroke won't  ???) but for the life of me, I can't remember ever riding on a track that was billiard smooth when I was 14. I'd still rather race on a gnarly track any day. At least I think it's appropriate for EVO onwards. Having a modern class in VIPER seems to work well. I haven't heard anyone bitch about it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 04:44:19 pm by All Things 414 »

YSS

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 05:26:47 pm »
414 you are on the top pointy end of the eara , but just think a minute of the 65 year old ex ( champion) racer trying to give his pre 68  a run . That would look and feel so mutch out of place , its not even funny . We are not even talking about his body or his treasured maschinery coping it hard.