Author Topic: Decibels  (Read 61484 times)

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Decibels
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2008, 09:04:29 pm »
 Sorry I can't shed any light on why, Graeme, but Ross Martin indicated in his reply to my email that there was an indication in the 2007 MoMS that the 96db limit would be invoked in 2008. Rules of this nature, like the ribbed Quaife gearbox ban, and the conical hub drama that between them tore the arse out of historic roadracing in 1998, are only ever instituted by somebody with an agenda, because logically nobody would wish to complicate their lives trying to implement such an unfeasible and impractical rule. I'd say it's a kneejerk reaction, as part of the MA effort to be seen to be green, as outlined earlier in the thread. But FFS, they haven't tested, and it appears they won't be testing much, if at all, in the future. So hopefully, it's only window dressing. and if we sit quietly, in the fullness of time the focus will fade and those in the corridors of power will focus on something else to pontificate about to justify their position/ego. And if it all gets too hard, too political, too bureaucratic, I would remind people again, that vmx in NZ runs very successfully without being involved with clubs, and has no controlling body. Always worth remembering.... ;)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

firko

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2008, 09:45:45 pm »
In reality, no matter how many protest emails or letters were sent to MA, it probably wouldn't have changed a thing. Once the process to implement such legislation has started, there is little chance of influencing the outcome by petition, letter or email. However if the full force of the VMX community had protested the proposal at least MA would have seen that there is a solid groundforce of politically active VMX participants that are prepared to fight for what's right.
The old 'United we stand, divided we fall' political war cry rings true.

211kawasaki

« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2008, 09:46:17 pm »
Sorry to hear the news as well, I can assure the readers that the commission put together a pretty strong letter to the board of MA outlining the concerns of the riders and this was in conjunction with quite a lot of emails from the riders as well.

I as yet have had no news from MA of the decision so dont be premature in acceptance of rumour just yet. Lets hope that its incorrect.

I think we need to hear the confirmation when it comes but that said I really feel that there will have to be some effort to be seen to drop the DB of your bike; lets not get to a point where we have noise testing (like CD5 for example) and loose all or any arguement we may have to have our case heard by having a really loud bike there. In fact if you have your bike tested make sure you have done something about noise or dont have you bike tested.MA WILL BE THERE!!!!!

Doc

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2008, 10:09:48 pm »
Dave..when you say make sure you have done something, could that be defined as simply having your original muffler repacked (which is not possible in some instances i.e. OEM RM series) or, does it mean we'd have to fit something like an Answer or DG or GMC for that matter? Would fitting a directional tail pipe be defined as 'something'? I believe the new limit should stick but I also believe there should have been a transitional period where testing is done and written notice given but the bike not excluded from said event 'if obviously 'something' been done in an attempt to quieten the bike' The bike however will be excluded from   further events unless it conforms. This is what I reckon we should have asked for..the new limit will stay so we're flogging a dead horse there  :-\ my 2 cents..I go back to my needle craft now  :P 

211kawasaki

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2008, 10:25:00 pm »
Doc

I dont know, I guess that the best answer is to make sure that you have done something - anything, if we turn up there without any attempt and the guy with the really loud thing is the one that gets noticed its a problem in my view. We should and will still argue the case for 102db but in saying that its going to be hard to argue it if there are bikes at 110db running around having made no attempt to lessen the DB.

Show that muffler some love and its going to love you back.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2008, 10:29:24 pm »
I find all the whinging hard to believe as a friend here in Newcastle managed to get an old CZ 380 down to 88dB.Most will find as mentioned the mechanical noise from undamped cylinder fins(even cranks past rebuild date) can contribute significantly to the dB output. There is even a download out there that will help you pass dB tests.Jet slightly rich, proper packing, hole size, rubber fin dampers, an exit piece to angle noise downward is all very simple stuff and most of which is reversable ::).As stated before some dicking round will have you pass the test and not loose and more likely gain HP. 
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2008, 11:09:47 pm »
well i like to whine lozza, cause i dont have the time or inclination to fuc about building pipes , rejetting or otherwise spending all my time getting technical on a 34 yr old bike i should be able to enjoy as it is.  I dont care if you mate spent 10 years and has 5 enginerring degrees and can make his CZ 50 Db, i DONT HAVE THE TiME OR INCLINATION TO SCREW AROUND REMAKING A PIPE OR SPENDIN TIME OR MONEY TO REMODEL A BIKE TO FIT NOISE REGS.

Guys -IF you dont think they will be stepping up testing why have MA been training up operators in all states and buying up and shipping out testing equiptment ? if you thnk this is just going away and is window dressing you need to get you head out the sand.  We had test set up when i was road racing in the 90s so its just catching up and getting organised at wider meets.  its a pain in the arse for everyone, self regulation should have been moved in for up to 102db.

As for sneaking it through comments ? > wtf this was in 2007 MOMS and ealier indicating the changes in DB ratings as a rule, does anyone actually read the manuals or does everyone just put them back on the shelf and go into there own little world.  Based on what i have heard your bike can be up to 5db out at any time even if you get under the magical 96bd at one event you may not be at the next test, it can and does vary.   As far as your vioce its you Dirt track and MX MA reps from your clubs and state levels that meet to discuss and lobby you veiws, as you have never brought it up they would have been none the wiser it was an issue and would in effect probaly voted it in as they had no idea of the impact,  you need to lobby you club reps and state reps to lobby back up the food chain, classic vmx return 2 thirds of stuff all to MA so your not even a blip on the radar, everything is paid by the FIM cash injection from 1 round a year, everyting else is pennies, you could stop all vintage racing and i dot think MA would even notice, it would probally let them concetrate on there rider up right programs to get more kids involved.

Down with the dicking around and up with the DB to a normal level, i say
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 12:15:23 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2008, 11:44:21 pm »
Get over it Freaky and I don't f^*k around YOU F*^K around pointlessly railing against the noise regs, fix the noise, ride on simple init.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2008, 12:13:46 am »
even though I asked a couple of times (and these forums are where I get most of my info from) there were no answers to my question regards warnings for failing noise tests.

Anyway - have just spent the last God knows how long on a very slow internet connection checking out MA and found this:

12.10.4.4  - No person may compete in any event on a machine where noise emissions exceed the prescribed levels.

So I dont think there will be any warnings - or have I read it wrong.  Makes me start to think twice about going to Tassie - as others have said long way to go to not get a ride?

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Yamaboy

« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2008, 11:02:06 am »
The thing I can't understand is that MA in their wisdom has given Classic Road Racing 102db yet VMX got shafted with 96db. I'd like to examine the criteria that inspired THAT piece of legislation. I just don't understand it.

Freaky..I know that you are an excitable boy and are keen on this subject but could you please slow down and double check your posts for spelling and grammar mistakes before you post them. Your last post is extremely difficult to understand, I had to read it 3 times before in made any sense. I'm sure you can spell better than your posts show.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2008, 11:52:47 am »
im just being kriptic   ;D

ok I blame the spell checker. 

ok....ok i admit it im just lazy, sometimes i have so many windows open on differant forums, applications and are replying to so many things in a momentry window of time it gets too hard. 

Geeze you should hear me speak, i talk fast most folk cant understand me.   

Sorry bout that i just get on a roll and im onto the next thing.

if you notice most of my post are edited because i have pushed enter on the keyboard before i have even looked up ( work habit) ill try to keep it real, and at least use the spell checker a little more.

Soz.

P.S lozz i have nothing to add other than to say than you must remeber there are at least 50% of the riders out there who dont have your knowledge or skill set, its those folks like me who dont want to fuc about doing all this work on 5 or more bikes just to ride them at a local race meet, if you make it too hard and too much of an effort then they just fade away from the sport and so does the sport.   Its a very ridgit rule and based on your comments you may be the only one onthe start line so you become the winner of one, big deal thats not a competion its attrition.

Think about it from a wider mind set lozz, if folks cant be bothered to put in an email or speak to there MA rep about it, do you really think they will put in the time and money to build a quieter motor and pipe ?   NOPE, attrition is coming unless they loosen up the rules  :O)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 11:58:18 am by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Doc

« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2008, 12:27:19 pm »
bottom line is we all have to make some sort of effort to silence our bikes before the govt. does it for us through legislature. What we could have is a posting of ideas and methods used by other that will cut noise emissions. Kinda like a huge test bed. It's all well and good to complain and I too do not like the idea of modifying stock items but it's either this or no ride. After riding noisy bikes for many years it's actually a nice change to ride something a little quieter :) my TM which I feel pretty certain will pass is reasonably quiet simply from the fresh packing in the muffler. Engine noise is a biggy with the air cooled 2 smokers but  watercooled models will need little attention in this department. I remember years ago to wrap the pipe in heatproof wadding was considered noise deadening..lets hope it never comes to that! I feel we have to go with the flow and comply. No if's no but's no exclusions no excuses and no snivelling  :-X ;)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 12:29:59 pm by Doc »

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2008, 02:49:08 pm »
I might put a fairing on the Maico and claim it's a road racer slumming it in the dirt for the day.
They're allowed bigger noise apparently.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2008, 02:53:59 pm »
hey Vmx247, like the old elf 26 additive probally be banned too id say. Still a modern yamaha leaves the shop at 98 db so we have been pushed harder than most as easy targets, except for the half time moster truck which at a zillion decibels still get a run at any level at any meeting and the EPA guy dont even blink, same guy standing there with the meter measureing crowd noise.

Meh........... lets see where it goes.  who knows it could be worse, there was talk 2 strokes would be banned due the oil emissions. i think some tree huggers just need to show action and progress on paper to get there stars, pity they cant deal with the real issues like cars, plane , trains and automobile, that pump out the noise and pollutants at levels.

Problem with being in a civilised country is you all get given a concious and expected to lead, unlike the other 60% of the globe who do the dumping, burning and trashing  ::)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 02:57:14 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2008, 04:18:16 pm »
i had being in the 40% its tuff.  :OP
74 Yamaha  flattracker's