Author Topic: Motorcycle/motorcycling based movies.  (Read 21655 times)

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Motorcycle/motorcycling based movies.
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2011, 06:27:19 pm »
If we are talk'n tv shows as well how could we forget good old Arthur Fonzarelli,I seem to recall an episode where the Fonz was going to do a death defying jump but i can't recall if he did it or chickened out,anyone remember? When Happy Days was current i thought he was so cool " HEYYYYY". I have recently seen some old episodes & now to me he is mega cringeworthy  :-[

firko

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2011, 06:48:03 pm »
So, where can I get a copy or two???
As Tim says, I'm almost certain you can get it as a boxed set. The episode I saw last year was a part of a boxed set my cousin had been given as a gift. Try Google and see what comes up.

Curly3

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2011, 07:36:25 pm »
Hey marc, was Jay Springsteen an extra or one of the main characters in Chips?
Bruce Penhall replaced the blonde guy late in the shows life.
C'mon Smed, there's nothing cringeworthy about the Fonz, it's just a TV show of another era. ;) ;D
I found Steve Irwin embarrasing at first, until I found out an old mate of mine knew him well and I met him myself, " Enthusiastic " is what I would call him.
I think there is an old movie called the Wild Colonial Boy, made in the 50's about Speedway in England.
Any movie set around bikes is cool by me, as long as they don't put a 2 stroke engine noise for a 4 stroke bike.

DR

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2011, 07:48:08 pm »
Smed, Arthur Fonzarelli cleared the trash cans but he crashed into Arnolds Chicken stand. The next few episodes were about his buggered knee and the Cunningham's trying to get him back onto his feet again with series of supposed incidents one of which Richie looked out the window and shouted his bike was on fire! truly funny stuff! :D

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2011, 07:58:04 pm »
I think there is an old movie called the Wild Colonial Boy, made in the 50's about Speedway in England.
Hey , Slides, you're not thinking of  " Once a Jolly Swagman " are you ?
It starred Dirk Bogard as Jim Fox , an up and coming speedway rider and Sid James as the Speedway Team Manager, I think the team was called the Cobras, some good early bike to bike shots and the sound track included the sound of Jim Fox's skid shoe as he walked away from the medical room where the injured Aussie was, corny, but not bad for it's day
I've got a videotape of it.
Foss

Curly3

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2011, 08:02:06 pm »
I knew I was wrong, was it set in Brum there Foss?
Sid James, it should've been called, Carry on round n round.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2011, 08:07:58 pm »
It was set up north somewhere , I think, although the accents on most actors was a bit posh fer Brumagem, except the Yank rider,  maybe Brum, as the crowd was singing " On Ilkley Moor Bar Tat ",  at one stage .
I have a feeling that the Aussie character was based loosely on Bluey Wilkinson.
Foss
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:10:16 pm by JAP 454 »

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2011, 08:53:47 pm »
I always understood the character was based on Ron Johnson. New Cross stadium, where it was filmed, is in London.
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Curly3

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2011, 09:22:54 pm »
Hey Foss, there is some good footage from the movie on youtube.
Even closeup's of the Cricket Gloves they used to wear.
Interesting to hear how low revving the engines were back then and there isn't a lot of difference in lap times between now & then.
Different track surfaces ( Shale V Dirt ) makes a hell of a difference, if you were riding one of todays bikes on an old surface, you'd be lucky to make it round the first corner without bouncing off the fence.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2011, 09:41:43 pm »
Hey Slides,
I might ask old mate in Bathurst to copy the videotape to DVD, I'll send ya a copy when I get it done
Even closeup's of the Cricket Gloves they used to wear.
Interesting to hear how low revving the engines were back then and there isn't a lot of difference in lap times between now & then.
Different track surfaces ( Shale V Dirt ) makes a hell of a difference, if you were riding one of todays bikes on an old surface, you'd be lucky to make it round the first corner without bouncing off the fence.
When the ACU made us wear gloves , in the 60's , those cricket gloves were the first ones I had !!
and Yeah, the old long rod 5 stud JAPs were something else as far as torque went, pull ya arms out ,had one at Tralee, in that Paul Sly skids frame, all the bastard thing wanted to do was wheelstand on the hard surface, was all right in the Elstar on short circuit ,though , The 4B and 84s were a different kettle of fish, ya had to ride the 84s flat out if there was lots of drive, mind you , the 4B with 84s piston was a good motor !!
Foss

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2011, 10:34:03 pm »
What about the "Terminator"....I'll be baacck. 8)....got ya 2 stroke sound on the 4 stroke bike there (kids XR100).
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

DR

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2011, 06:34:39 am »
Davey, that really annoyed the heck out of me and detracted the whole deal somewhat. Same as Mad Max in the US and Canada. When I was over there I hired 'The Road Warror' aka Mad Max and the whole deal had been remixed using US voice overs. I was told they did it because Americans couldn't understand our accent :D funny, I never once had a single issue communicating in 3 trips and the months I spent there ::) to say I was a little dissappointed was an understatement as it turned the entire film to A grade crap ;)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 06:38:55 am by Doc »

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2011, 08:39:40 am »
Speaking of Ron Johnson, does anybody lnow where to find his daughter. She was last heard of in Brisbane doing some ice skating or something like that. I would like to find her before the Sidecar Spectacular as there is a special something there.
Also Bob Johnston, now in Sydney I believe, would like him to commentate but have no contact details.
Sorry for the thread heist.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2011, 09:29:05 am »
Also Bob Johnston, now in Sydney I believe, would like him to commentate but have no contact details.
Sorry for the thread heist.
PM sent
Foss

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2011, 09:40:12 am »
Hey Vaughn, are you getting Vern over for a ride?....say Gidday for me....
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.