Author Topic: CR125M still won't start or run  (Read 5261 times)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: CR125M still won't start or run
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 05:36:34 pm »
whats the compression like.must be over 100psi to get it to run.my yz125x would backfire and run as long as you pushed it as soon as you stop pushing it stopped.
checked psi it was 55.
getting bored as we speak pick the barrell up on friday.the motor now will be new top and bottom
jim

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 06:05:18 pm »
I'm told it is new top end Jim.  Compression feels Ok on the kicker  :-\

This thing won't even fire despite being pushed down the road (again and again ::))

If nothing else my fitness is improving  ;D ;D
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 06:09:34 pm »
i was told mine was as well ran it in then i raced it at the dirt track nats 2010 and yes i niped it up twice but it still went took high spots off but i think it was gone by then
jim

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 09:21:27 pm »
If its the same rotor on both the 74 & 75 models, you can use a 16mm bolt to remove it,thats basically all the genuine honda one is with a t'bar on the end. bang it off & check that key! I agree with the others,sounds like the timing's out, It's a bit hard to put the stator on upside down (180 deg out) with the stock wiring, as it's very short, allthough someone who came before you could have got creative,anythings possible & worth  checking, Basic timing check in the honda owners manual says to remove the top stator bolt which reveals a timing mark scribed into the backing plate that should correspond to a mark on the cases,then to fine tune with a strobe light,18 deg BTDC @ 6000 rpm (bloody useless to you until you get it to run) The manual does'nt give static timing specs but i have a clymer manual which does,let me know & i will  get it out for ya, I also agree with the worn out top end theory,have you ever had it apart & checked tolerances,some bikes feel o.k. through the kickstarter but are worn enough to cause hard starting,the kickstart gearing giving a false impression :)

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 05:32:07 pm »
 My bet is on a sheared woodruff key. Been there, had that. Good luck & cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 01:16:43 pm »
I agree with the others,sounds like the timing's out, It's a bit hard to put the stator on upside down (180 deg out) with the stock wiring, as it's very short, allthough someone who came before you could have got creative,anythings possible & worth  checking,

SMED wins the cigar.  Timing 180 degrees out.
Timing light shows firing on the bottom instead of at the top where the mark on the stator is. (Awesome tip there Pez  ;) I would have been there for months trying to work it out.  Static timing was perfect - that's what had me buggered)

So .... how do I fix that gurus ? :-\
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 01:19:04 pm by YZ250H »

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 01:53:50 pm »
SMED wins the cigar.  Timing 180 degrees out.

So .... how do I fix that gurus ? :-\

Have the crank pressed apart and get the big end pin bored on the opposite side of the crank.
Hope that helps ;D
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 02:04:41 pm »
Thanks for the gem of wisdom Geoff ::)  I was hoping for something slightly simpler  ;D.  I was thinking if I turned the bike upside down and set the timing again that could work  ;D ;D

TM BILL

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2011, 03:07:37 pm »
Tony turn the stator 180 degrees  :) or sell it and buy a KX 125  ;)

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2011, 03:43:25 pm »
Did that - and IT's ALIVE   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Now just have to fix up the wiring   :'(

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2011, 03:59:13 pm »
bugger - too late with an answer - had exactly the same problem with my CR250 T!!!
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2011, 05:48:17 pm »
So how did you fix it Rossco ??  Rotate the stator plate 180 and rewire it so it all goes together nicely ??

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2011, 06:21:05 pm »
I cannot take a bow for saying the timing was 180 out,that was lozza! But I'm happy you finally got the little beast to run, Can you just remove the windings from the base plate & swap them left for right & vice versa?                                                                                                               

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2011, 07:13:24 pm »
I looked at that, but the coils seem to be solid with the mountings (?).  The mountings are in quarters as well.  The Yamaha coils are a separate thing, but these seem to be different.  It still kinda works upside down, but the wires are all over the shop.  Not a big issue really.  I can still do the whole timing thing (now with the timing light  8) ) - it's just that it is on the bottom instead of the top.  I'll see what Rossco comes back with.

Apologies to Lozza as well for selling him short  ::)  Should have read back further.  You can share the cigar with him SMED  ;D

Thanks for your help fellas.  Saved me thousand of dollars worth of swearing  ;D

The good news is I will have crank seals and all new bearings on the shelf  to install in it when the time comes  8)