Author Topic: Filters, Uni filter, K&N,?  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Snowy 76

• Legend
    • View Profile
Filters, Uni filter, K&N,?
« on: February 04, 2008, 06:58:23 pm »
What the general opinion, Pod filter for a dirt track project, and filter for Bandido, can get both filters for both bikes, whats the best easiest to maintain etc. Thanks Mark
Couple of CR`s

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Filters, Uni filter, K&N,?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 08:12:59 pm »
For my XT 500 for dirt track I'm going with a K&N pod with a K&N  Pre filter bag over the top,3 1/2"  Dia . X 5"long
ordered one with a 2" long Neck to give a bit of flow before carby mouth?
for MX I would prefer to use standard Box/ filter .( still cleaning the mud/ concrete of bike from Clarence )
Noel
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 08:38:57 pm by Noel »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 08:31:21 pm »
My understanding is that K&Ns aren't real flash at actually filtering... If you hold one up to the light, you'll see many spots where the light comes straight through. And even the K&N blurb says that they filter better when dirty, which I assume means that they require some built up dirt to close up those holes...

I do know that my rally car picked up a few HP changing from a Uni filter pod to a K&N, but I'd never be confidant using one on an engine that I expect to operate in other people's dust.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 08:36:27 pm »
for offroad use i prefer the oiled foam type eg twin air, moto air and unifilter. they are the only way to go in dusty conditions
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 08:42:13 pm »
you need to oil even the K&N paper filters before u use them, I'M going with the pre filter bag
as well so you don't have to wash the main filter as much,

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 09:17:33 pm »
The K&N filters are really great.....at filtering out small rocks and sparrows.Nothing more.In dusty conditions (after plenty of their oil) I found a trail of fine dust in the carb.With oiled foam no talc fine dust in the carb.The filter skin would be a must.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 05:28:02 pm »
I would only run a K&N with an oiled foam sock over the top. It's not a bad setup as you get double filtering. You can buy some air filter foam cut it to size and use contact cement to glue it together.
I found that on some of my bikes that don't get used enough the foam filters would disinergrate so I switched to K&N as they last a long time. But I do have foam socks on them.