Author Topic: I've won WHAT ???  (Read 3713 times)

Offline T250K

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
I've won WHAT ???
« on: February 03, 2008, 11:16:16 pm »
 Anyone come across this before ?   Last week I was checking eBay and came across an Ossa SDR at $1800 with zero bids and almost four days left to run.   Overpriced at that so I did not Bid.   Four days later I cop a cheerful  " Congratulations, you have Won . . . . . . "  notice from eBay, with contact detail for the Ossa seller and a closing price of $1800. 
          Complained to eBay asking for confirmation of when and how much they reckoned I had bid, and how come the price was still $1800 if anybody had bid.  Ebay response was crap.   Sent a second, firmer email to eBay.   No response at all to that one.    Meantime the seller is getting edgy and has contacted me wanting shipping info, and his deposit.  Sent a third email direct to the seller through eBay and he came back with  ' Yep, I had kinda wondered    ??? '.    Honest computer glitch or do eBay play games ?     Cheers,  T250.

Tony T

Re: I've won WHAT ???
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 07:15:29 am »
I can't imagine eBay would be dumb enough to start doing things like that.
Double check the source of the "eBay" emails and make sure they are actually from them and not someone pretending to be them.
I had a PayPal issue last week. 2 emails and no reply at all.  >:(

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 07:39:02 am »
 PayPal seems to have a network/buddy system of problem solvers to sort their dramas out, I won a set of boots from some people in NSW and clicked through immediately on Pay Now, heard nothing for days, then received an invoice from PayPal. Turned out a woman had placed the ad for her son's boots, my payment had gone to his user account, not hers. I emailed PayPal twice to try and sort it, heard nothing and patiently sifted thru the evidence myself and tidied it up. About a week later, I received an email from an eager beaver from the PayPal buddy system who said he'd looked at my request but couldn't help, but was keen to receive a satisfaction rating for his response. Yeah, right ! I ignored it and haven't heard back. Luckily, the boots arrived, cost half the new price and fit great !  ;)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Doc

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 07:41:10 am »
T250K that sounds pretty weird alright. eBay are a big business and have no need to play games. You didn't happen to leave the page open on the computer did you? Have heard of others including youngsters placing bids after the parents walked away leaving the computer logged in to their eBay account. I can't think of any other way it could happen unless as Tony said it is a scam but then you didn't even bid so how do they know who exactly was looking??

Tony T

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 08:17:32 am »
That's a good point Doc. Unless you bid, the seller doesn't know who you are.
What does your 'my eBay' page say? Does it show that you bid?

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 08:34:38 am »
Check your emails, if you have an "eBay bid confirmed" email then someone at your end bid for you. If there's no bid email then it's a scam. Check your computor for spyware too.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 08:55:27 am »
yeah, that one sounds weird alright,
about 18mnths ago, i put in a bid for a bike and lost the auction, the good old spammers sent me a 2nd chance offer which sounded good, but after a few emails things just were'nt adding up so i never went through with it. lucky.
they can be smart buggers and ebay, with all the cash getting thrown around can be a haven for them.
"flat bickie"

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 09:14:58 am »
I copped the same thing a couple of years ago. There was a late model Mazda 929 at about half the going rate, with a oddly worded ad... I emailed and asked where the car was located, etc, and next thing I know, I've been sent an invoice.

Yeah right: GAGF!
Definitely a scam.

Your MyEbay should show your bid history - bet there's nothing there.
If there is, then you'd better work out what happened...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 12:53:35 pm »
Had exactly the same "Scam' happen to me  >:( For a chain saw, three months ago. Response received from ebay to my inquiry confirmed just that. The others are spot on ,no confirmation of bid email , no bid. do not pay or respond to emails unless you are totally sure it is ebay.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline bingil 6

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 03:31:17 pm »
I nearly got fleeced once myself with the old second chance bullshit which was emailed to me on my first attempt to purchace of ebay, but fortunatley I know a few Lads who are big users of ebay & the best advise they gave me was to never respond to ebay emails only go through youre ebay sign on & check your messages on ' My Ebay '

Doc

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 07:24:35 pm »
was watching that TM75 airbox that Mr. Tanner had on offer out of idle curiosity. I didn't need it so I held back bidding..it was very very difficult but I did it!! *insert proud smile here*
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 08:39:33 pm by Doc »

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 08:10:13 pm »
T250 ........and everyone else who has had this happen too
The way to ensure that this is a genuine Ebay email is to look at the top of the email, in small print it will say something like "dear ...insert your ebay name here... then beside that it will have your real name... this is an email to notifiy...blah blah blah.
Only the real ebay will know your tag and name, if it does not have this delete it.
DO NOT click on it and then enter your tag and password as the sender can then use your tag and password , I have had my I.D. stolen and used to sell a whole heap of cameras around the world, they got the money, no one got their goods and I got the blame.
Now I just check the top of the page and delete if looking suss.

firko

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 09:25:33 pm »
If you're not sure of any emails from either eBay or Pay Pal, forward the eBay email to [email protected] and PayPal one to [email protected]. They'll get back to you pretty quickly telling you whether the email is legitimate or not. I've almost been caught by scammers in the past but was saved by the spoof service. I now send every eBay and Pay Pal email to them for my own confidance.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 08:13:10 am »
Logged onto ebay the other morning to start "not buying" and was advised my account password had been changed.  Didn't believe it until I tried to log on - anyway long story short Ebay had restricted my account because it had been hijacked by someone who listed about 100 cameras and accessories under my user name to evade the ebay fees??? Dont know how they expected to get paid etc but all sorted in the end by the Ebay on line support.

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline T250K

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 06:45:33 am »
Update.  The seller lodged a ' failure to sell ' notice with eBay and the reason given was that the buyer ( that's supposed to be me ) bought the bike ' by mistake. '  eBay notified me that if I verified No Sale the seller would not pay fees and that our Ratings ( both 100% ) would not change.
          My rating was one thing I was worried about when the thing hit the fan so I verified, but advised that it wasn't my mistake, and asked eBay for the third time, to explain how there is a winner with no bids.  That was 2 days ago, no response.
          I've checked all details right back to the beginning. I wasn't even registered when I looked at that item, but within a few minutes I had registered and I bid on a different item ( Maico ).  The Congratulations notice had the small print details on it as mentioned by EVO, so it's presumably from eBay, but there were no earlier notices from them advising me that I had bid or that I was high bidder. I still reckon nobody bid.  The bike went back on ebay and topped out at, I think, about $800.
          Certainly hard to believe that ebay as a company would do this, maybe they employ a Frenchman with a history of insider trading.        Cheers,    T250.