Author Topic: The age old ? Why do i have so much valve trouble on my 4/ bike  (Read 893 times)

Offline chrisdespo

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Called in at a local track and was watching some guys go around on 4/ mx bikes, doing a few practice starts and generally having a good time. This may cross over to another thread on repair costs. but i will continue, Hold the engine on the limiter and dump the clutch these blokes could get around the track fast but you know that the rev limiter is there just like a red line operate the engine on or above this and you will damage something. Before 2/ we used to all ride the old 4 stroker hell we even had an sl100 bombed to eyebrows its just what you did, i f you over reved it exploded new 4/ over rev that and it will explode just the same.  Road race bikes at four stroke had a tacho you learnt where they would operate reliably and set the red line for the engine at that and set the gearing for max speed at max revs get it wrong and rev into the red and bang bent valve or ventilated cases.You see people young and old abusing engines every day.just a thought i had so thought i would share it, i dont have a lot of these.
When in DOUBT GAS IT!!!

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: The age old ? Why do i have so much valve trouble on my 4/ bike
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 04:59:04 pm »
In the 'good old days' when I did regular rebuilds on my old B33 BSA 500 which is necessary when you get something like 40+ hp out of an engine designed for more like 24hp the rule was make sure that if the valve [generally the exhaust] does contact the high comp piston it hits it flat on. Then ensure that when the piston and valve are closest to hitting each other, force the valve down a further eighth of an inch before it can contact the piston. The piston cutaway may need to be machined a bit more to allow this.
 I never had a bent valve after checking this even counting full throttle starts at the gate IN NEUTRAL!
cheers pancho
dont follow me i'm probably off line!