Author Topic: bore vs stroke  (Read 9860 times)

firko

Re: bore vs stroke
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2011, 10:01:19 am »
desaxation(there you go firko)
Nice effort Loz.....now all I have to do is find a use for the word in my day to day work. ::)
Now, get back into my engine! ;D

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2011, 11:39:29 am »
didn"t some 6HR guys get busted for boring a kwaka 4 (desaxe),was permissable to overbore,but not all to the front of the barrell ;D, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2011, 12:34:39 pm »
 10+ YZF450 has offset gudegon.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 02:28:46 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2011, 12:55:07 pm »
01+ YZF450 has offset gudegon.

They don't count. ;D
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2011, 02:45:53 pm »
Umm sorry I am a little familiar with the workings of Nitromethane fuelers   :) Just being a serial pest again.... Cheers Tim754 ;)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2011, 03:44:20 pm »
01+ YZF450 has offset gudegon.

They don't count. ;D

And I think the YZF450 has its barrel offset from the crank centreline. Trying for the same effect [I assume] in a different way.
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2011, 08:34:07 pm »
 A shorter rod which increases conrod angularity while the piston descends the stroke increases the piston speed which in turn takes advantage of the rapid pressure rise occuring in spark ignition piston engines, resulting in increased torque. Torque plus rpm =horsepower.
 Similar situation occurs to a lesser degree in those engines where the gudgeon pin is offset [to quieten things down a bit], if you reverse the piston to put the offset the other way for a power increase. Ask the old "stock car" drivers who got sneeky extra power this way.
  Torque plus rpm=horsepower.
This explains to those who wonder why, when one looks at a rather large capacity V8 car engine sees it putting out 200hp, where as a motor cycle high performance engine puts out  half that figure from less than a quarter of the capacity.

dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2011, 08:48:57 pm »
what about a 2 stroke then ;D

seeing thats what 90% of us ride ???
follow me to first turn

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2011, 10:04:39 pm »
A shorter rod which increases conrod angularity while the piston descends the stroke increases the piston speed which in turn takes advantage of the rapid pressure rise occuring in spark ignition piston engines, resulting in increased torque. Torque plus rpm =horsepower.
 Similar situation occurs to a lesser degree in those engines where the gudgeon pin is offset [to quieten things down a bit], if you reverse the piston to put the offset the other way for a power increase. Ask the old "stock car" drivers who got sneeky extra power this way.
  Torque plus rpm=horsepower.
This explains to those who wonder why, when one looks at a rather large capacity V8 car engine sees it putting out 200hp, where as a motor cycle high performance engine puts out  half that figure from less than a quarter of the capacity.

Think you got yourself all befuddled there pancho, most high performance engines run >2.1 rod to stroke ratio. Aprilia GP 125 and TM/Pavesi 125 shifter kart engines(all over 50HP) run 120 and 118mm rods for a 54.5mm stroke. There isn't much pressure rise as the piston decends.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2011, 11:19:11 pm »
Long rods reduce peak piston acceleration, and reduce the angularity of the rod relative to the crank (meaning that the piston is marginally more efficent at pushing on the crank). They also hold the piston near TDC for longer, meaning that the rate of increase in compression pressure is more gradual, and that ignition timing is less critical.
This is all good stuff.

In theory, a long rod can make the engine more likely to detonate, as the additional time the piston spends at/near TDC can prevent the combustion gases expanding as fast as they want (poor explaination, but hopefully it makes sense). In reality, it is very difficult to find anyone who even claims to have experienced this phenonema - if it exists at all, it has far more to do with large bore sizes (4"+) requiring lots of time for the flame front to travel across the combustion chamber.

Long rods also increase the height of an engine, which is rarely desirable but not often a problem.

The trend in the last thirty-odd years for rod:stroke ratio, has been clearly toward longer rods in all sorts of engines.
Four strokes have also had a clear trend toward shorter pistons - the reduced side loading of longer rods has allowed this.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2011, 08:13:37 am »
The trend in the last thirty-odd years for rod:stroke ratio
mmm.. is that because of fuel quality or other factors?

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2011, 10:10:05 am »
It's because the longer rod 'works' better. Even a stock Banshee with just the 115mm rod swap feels torquier to ride. Something to consider for your PE ;)

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2011, 11:31:37 am »
Longer rod, when retro-fitted, changes valve/port/ign timing, increases dwell around TDC, & in 2T increases crankcase volume (unless compensated by piston w reduce deck height).

I waited a fair while for some-one to mention bmep

Torque, HP & BMEP are mathematically related to ea other by simple formulae.  Its hardly rocket science.

Getting back to the threads original question, one of the other effects/benefits of a long-stroke design is more compact/efficient combustion chamber (lower surface-area/volume ratio).

You can only go so far w oversquare 4T designs for better breathing via more valve area & higher rpm, till the size/shape of the combustion chamber becomes a problem (hi surface-area/volume ratio) & you start losing the gains.

In a 2t, its more win-win cos of more compact combustion chamber (lower surface-area/volume ratio) & more cylinder surface area allowing bigger/better ports (already mentioned) in long stroke/undersquare design.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 11:05:00 am by JC »

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2011, 06:09:19 pm »
 First of all let me say I enjoy this kind of discussion for the opportunity for me to learn more, I believe that one should never ever stop trying to learn more.
 As a 73 & a 1/2 year old I find the older I get the less I know [specially about 2 strokes]
  Lozza re.pressure on the piston. As I intimated on an earlier post, spark ignition engines are described as 'constant volume' which as I understand it means the fire goes BANG and the pressure rise is instant and short lived,which is the same as your post re 'not much pressure rise'.
 A short rod does have the disadvantage of more severe side thrust on the piston but conversely has a better straight line push on the crankpin.
 Added to this is the more rapid descent of the piston taking advantage of the short but rapid pressure increase from combustion. Less detonation?
 Going back in history [nothing new under the sun] 350 Gold Star BSA made up oval flywheels to allow a short conrod for a torque increase. More horsepower, from more torque same revs.
 Obviously rapid engine bore and piston wear follow.
 I believe the main reason engines in England, both car and m/cycles went to small bore - long stroke [to the detriment of good design] was the fact that the gov't taxed engine size on piston area times No. of cylinders for years so manufactures increased stroke to gain capacity.
cheers pancho
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2011, 09:03:16 pm »