Author Topic: Best mx race bikes, 70's & 80's = Trevor Flood Racing !  (Read 12523 times)

Offline GOOF

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Best mx race bikes, 70's & 80's = Trevor Flood Racing !
« on: March 16, 2011, 04:50:32 pm »
Some of the most winningest & trickest motocross bikes i've seen built were..

1970's  were Trevor's Maico's & Yamaha's.

1982  Darryl Willoughby   Yamaha YZ490

1983 My Suzuki Rm500 & 250,  Darryl Willoughby YZ490.

1984 Jimmy Ellis Yamaha YZ125, 250 & 490, Stuart Bennetts  Yz490
  "     Ricky Murphy's  Suzuki RM500

1985  Jimmy Ellis  Yamaha Y125, 250 & 490.

1987 Jeff Leisk Yamaha  YZ250  (burswood supercross)

1988 Steve Dinsdale Honda CR250.

The most talented individual i knew in regards to suspension set up,  engine knowledge & race craft to this day,  Trevor could have run & managed any team in the world with great success.
His talent did'nt stop at motocross only,  He was very influentual  in road racing with Michael Dowson & Kevin Magee & the Marlboro Yamaha super bikes.

Great mentor & clever man !!!! 

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
Re: Best mx race bikes, 70's & 80's = Trevor Flood Racing !
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 05:33:48 pm »
don;t forget Commonwealth racings Norton/Cosworth episode at Daytona with loopy lewis onboard,Trevor setup the bike,did something with the carburation,i can't remember whether he gave the carbs,or fuel injection the flick,(GD help me here ;)),flogged the locals bigtime,actually the only time the bloody bike ran well i think, :P
oops thread hijack,sorta  ::)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 05:46:22 pm by matcho mick »
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 06:28:11 pm »
Rod Sharp was another talented guy, also an A grader but I can’t remember how high he got.
In 86 I couldn’t get my KDX 200 set up properly and after it ‘swapped’ me off the side of a cliff I took it to Trevor Flood Racing where Rod was working.
He told me to bring the whole bike down, not just the forks and shock.
We talked about the bike for a bit and then he put his hand on the seat and pushed the rear end down a few times and told me my swingarm bearings were dry.
I thought to myself ‘bloody wanker’, thinks he can bullshit me.
I had been religiously pumping grease into the grease nipples until it squirted out past the seals after every major ride.
He told me I needed to have new springs and both ends revalved.
I told him I would think about it and went back home.
The following weekend I sat looking at the bike somewhat disillusioned about what to do.
Eventually curiosity got the better of me and I pulled the swingarm out to check it.
Well bugger me if the swingarm bearings weren’t dry.
The grease I had been pumping in had found a path past the bearings and then out past the seals.
All the grease I had been pumping in was doing nothing but deceiving me.

Rod had won me over there and then and I have also never believed in grease nipples since that day.
The work he did on my suspension was brilliant and I took my next bikes straight to him after running them in.

Been wondering what he’s up to now actually as I wouldn’t mind getting him to look at my KDX 175 shock
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Desert Rat

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 06:31:37 pm »
I had Trevor Flood do my engine and build White Power suspension in 1983.
The thing that impressed me most was how he grilled me on whether I kept everything else up to scratch before he agreed to take my money.  ;D
e.g. new tyres, chain and sprockets, fresh top end etc etc.
Good stuff!

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 07:08:12 pm »
Found this ad in March 1986 Trail and Track.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 07:09:30 pm »
Rod Sharp was another talented guy, also an A grader but I can’t remember how high he got.

He told me I needed to have new springs and both ends revalved.
I told him I would think about it and went back home.
The following weekend I sat looking at the bike somewhat disillusioned about what to do.
Eventually curiosity got the better of me and I pulled the swingarm out to check it.
Well bugger me if the swingarm bearings weren’t dry.
The grease I had been pumping in had found a path past the bearings and then out past the seals.
All the grease I had been pumping in was doing nothing but deceiving me.

Rod had won me over there and then and I have also never believed in grease nipples since that day.
The work he did on my suspension was brilliant and I took my next bikes straight to him after running them in.

Been wondering what he’s up to now actually as I wouldn’t mind getting him to look at my KDX 175 shock

Geoff how long is it since you've seen him? He had a bussiness in Ringwood a few years ago but Im not sure how its gouing or how his health is.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 07:10:51 pm »
Found this ad in March 1986 Trail and Track.

Yep thats Rod, he worked for Bert Flood before Trevor.

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 07:23:39 pm »
don;t forget Commonwealth racings Norton/Cosworth episode at Daytona with loopy lewis onboard,Trevor setup the bike,did something with the carburation,i can't remember whether he gave the carbs,or fuel injection the flick,(GD help me here ;)),flogged the locals bigtime,actually the only time the bloody bike ran well i think, :P

I think you will find that it was Gary Flood that looked after the Norton/Cosworth

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 07:26:35 pm »
I think the Marty Moates / Robin Rhodes RM500 engine in RM250 frame that I tested while working for Trail & Track was awesome for the time.  The pre production CR500RF of Jeff Leask's was another impressive machine for its time.

But for me personally I have to say my dads '74 TS125 with my TM barrell & chamber and Skunkworks 7" travel rear linkage had me excited at 15 years old, LOL
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 07:30:07 pm »
Geoff how long is it since you've seen him? He had a bussiness in Ringwood a few years ago but Im not sure how its gouing or how his health is.

It would have been around 04 or 05 when I took my KTM 300 over to Rod to get sorted.
I got a call from his parents not long after to pick the bike up as he couldn’t do the job because he was in intensive care.
I think it was actually touch and go for him for a while.

I did have a chat to him at a club enduro at Murrindindi since then but I don’t know if he’s still working now or not.

Still got the White Power springs he sold me that will be going back into some bikes soon
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 07:32:22 pm »

Mick, I think you will find that was Gary Flood not Trevor.  If I remember correctly Gary worked with John Surtees on that project.

(Sorry #8  I didn't see your reply)

Stan.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 07:35:01 pm by Stan S »

Offline gordon67

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 07:51:52 pm »
For me the bikes to have through the 70,s  had to be the Bulto 360 and 250 in that order, :)

Curly3

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 08:05:36 pm »
I don't know what all the fuss is about.
On Short Circuit, if you weren't on a Hagon Framed something or other, you were wasting your time.
Very different now.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 08:07:30 pm »
Geoff how long is it since you've seen him? He had a bussiness in Ringwood a few years ago but Im not sure how its going or how his health is.
[/quote]

Last time I saw Trevor Flood he was huge, and going as fast as possible on a TZ750 Yamaha in a roadrace at Oran Park. Always left a huge impression on an mx bike  though when he was in his pomp, smooth as silk and bloody quick.  I heard a few years ago that he was in police protection, but then I heard the same about Jimmy Ellis, and he's resurfaced and is racing again from time to time. SOMEBODY must know what ever became of Herman. Hope he's ok, 'cos he's one of our best...
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Doggy Digger

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 08:27:35 pm »
Drakey saw Trevor Flood at Bert's funeral (about two years go now?)

GMC ... I will PM you with Rod Sharp's email
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 08:52:38 pm by Doggy Digger »