Author Topic: Remanufactured bikes  (Read 4610 times)

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
Remanufactured bikes
« on: March 12, 2011, 05:14:22 pm »
What is the legalality for racing remanufactured bikes, or copies.

TM BILL

Re: Remanufactured bikes
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 05:26:38 pm »
Specifics  ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 05:29:32 pm »
Like what.. a py50 chinese copy of a Yamaha peewee 50??

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 05:31:28 pm »
Not wanting to sound like a smartarse, but what’s your definition of a "Remanufactured Bike"

In my world, remanufactured or what some may call resto-modded, is where an older piece of equipment is stripped and rebuilt using the latest technology, materials & processes, yet still resembles the original piece of equipment
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 06:55:17 pm »
Paul,
Perhaps taking it a smidge to far.  ;)
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 08:42:54 pm »
py 50 copy of yamaha are made by a yamaha part owned company on the same production line a peewee 50 is made on well ones made by jianshe anyway.try getting a yamaha dealer to admit it.cheers gary

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 08:48:31 pm »
liffan are making a copy of a yamaha v twin cruiser i think its a copy of a virago there regoable in aus i think there a lf 400 or 440 and look a lot better than the original dont know how reliable they are.cheers gary

TM BILL

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 08:54:30 pm »
like this thing
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Maico-onlys-S-1-SPECIAL-Motocross-Twinshock-490-/260651774547?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3cb00e7253

What are they a copy of  ??? they never existed in that configeration in the day, i guess it would be pre 85 legal  ???
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:57:00 pm by TM BILL »

TM BILL

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 09:09:51 pm »
like this thing
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Maico-onlys-S-1-SPECIAL-Motocross-Twinshock-490-/260651774547?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3cb00e7253

What are they a copy of  ??? they never existed in that configeration in the day, i guess it would be pre 85 legal  ???

Actually i retract that  ::) i suppose back in the day you could have bought a single shock Maico and then fitted the motor into an earlier twin shock chassis , at the time it would have seemed daft but with hindsight the 78 / 79 maico was a much sweeter handling bike than those ist generation single shock (shock breaking )efforts .

Those S1s are a cool bike in there own right but as i understand it pre 85 legal only  :)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 09:40:08 pm »
Those S1s are a cool bike in there own right but as i understand it pre 85 legal only  :)
Pre 85 in this country.. Twinshock(Evo) legal in the UK

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 12:42:01 pm »
As I said a copy eg copy a 79 cr 250. Not restor or build out of new parts. Would this be evo legal. Or a 74 CR 250, would this be pre 75 legal. I know people like GMC make rep fram kits, but what about coplete bikes.

TM BILL

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 03:26:34 pm »
As I said a copy eg copy a 79 cr 250. Not restor or build out of new parts. Would this be evo legal. Or a 74 CR 250, would this be pre 75 legal. I know people like GMC make rep fram kits, but what about coplete bikes.

So are you going to build Everypart from sratch ? ie cast the engine cases , cylinder, head, hubs, gears and shafts. Jig for a frame and build an exact copy and all these parts built with no improvments over the original parts ie the elsinore 250s weak gearbox and using period materials and period tooling = period tolerences and period quality control.

The HL and CZ frames are as i understand it (happy to be put straight ) are copies of what was availble in the day and are a good starting point to build a vintage racer. Im not aware of anybody building a complete bike from scratch ? Would be great to be able to buy copies of RM A and B frames to start a rebuild knowing that your frame is straight and not rotting from the inside out  :)

The bikes you mention are a dime a dozen so i dont quite understand why anyone would copy somthing thats readily available .
Maybe Joels RH 72 may be worth the effort as i far as i know Terry Good has the only one .

Copy or Clone ?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 03:39:22 pm by TM BILL »

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 04:42:55 pm »
Was in CZ a month ago and was able to get a day to go and see Jiri Starec the CZ magician (hospitality plus). He builds CZ twin ports "from scratch" for 10,000 euros or thereabouts. 

Had a look at his workshop (mini factory) and it's a work of art in itself, even a foundry and all the casting moulds for cases and cylinders and hubs and everything, even the ability to make the frame "as it was" and you can have any level of improvement (update) you want, he said electronic ignition is the most popular followed by mag' parts.  When I was there he was making "factory" racer mag' tripples for a UK racer.

Still, he does use NOS parts where available because it's simply lower cost, for example for gearbox shafts.

His skills come from being naturally talented, trained as a rider with the Czech Army motorcycle team, CZ factory as a first class machinist and worked at the construction of factory racers.

It was very impressive but I suppose the point is that at 10k euros it's something that seems to sell in Europe only -- perhaps a bit more money over there?

But, if you really liked you CZ's and were not fussy about "provenance" and wanted a competitive bike it would be an easy way to go racing.

firko

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 07:15:59 pm »
What is the legalality for racing remanufactured bikes, or copies.
John, I can't get my head around what you mean by 'remanufactured'. To me a remanufacture bike would mean a restored bike or a replica. If you mean replica, using a replica frame, newly manufactured replica engine components and cycleparts, I can't see any problem as long as the bike is visually identical to the original bike. One example I can think of is the fact that a 2011 Indian made Royal Enfield is legal for the pre 65 class because it's essentially a copy or remanufactured version of the 50's British product.