Author Topic: RE:wrecker closing down  (Read 22059 times)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
Re: RE:wrecker closing down
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2011, 10:41:29 pm »
As for the shops /owners crying about aussie support,my question is
WHERE ARE YOU BUYING YOUR STUFF FROM?  ;)hmmm wouldn't be o/seas would it?

It’s not about where the shops source their merchandise from as yes, a lot of it comes from O/S.
The problem is that US retailers have the jump on every retailer here.
We have importers here that bring in containers of products that supply to the shops.
What makes it hard for the shops is the fact that anyone can buy a retail price in the US that is cheaper than the wholesale price for the shops here.
I have seen Yamaha parts in the US that are ¼ of the price of here but it would cost the same to send a container of parts to here as it would the US.
They use their buying power to source their product at a good price and then in turn allow any warehouse to sell this product.
Ever notice how there are warehouse companies in the states that discount parts from the ‘big 4’ but there aren’t any here. It’s because the ‘big 4’ have the monopoly here and don’t allow non-shops to resell parts.

Level playing field my arse.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2011, 10:44:18 pm »
Is it still a big arse......Brad wants to know? ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2011, 10:57:03 pm »
Why do retail outlets not source there stuff online from the manufacturer and by-pass the wholesaler/importer and ship direct to the customer?

One thing that has not been discussed is the very annoying habit of dealers have of consolidating orders and expecting customers to wait until they put their order in.That gives someone the ideal motivation to buy online. The dealer could just as easy take their details, contact the customer and get the go ahead and the dealer could by the item online.but they don't offer that kind of service. Granted there are probably a host of issues with franchise agreements etc etc. Ballards is a very successful model for retailers have yet to hear any bad reports and offer exceptional customer service.
Motorcycle wreckers never joined hands like the car wreckers have and networked to find parts for customers.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2011, 11:10:31 pm »
Why do retail outlets not source there stuff online from the manufacturer and by-pass the wholesaler/importer and ship direct to the customer?

Often it because ‘name’ brands appoint a wholesaler to distribute their stuff and so don’t allow smaller dealers to jump in.
Try dealing with Mikuni, Fox, Oneal, Dunlop etc. and let me know how you get on.

One thing that has not been discussed is the very annoying habit of dealers have of consolidating orders and expecting customers to wait until they put their order in.

Freight costs, I do this myself.

G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2011, 08:06:44 am »
There's little doubt that Aussie importers/wholesalers are a big part of the reason why Aussie retailers can't be competitive with OS retailers.

When your local retailer says that he can't buy an item for the price you can buy it from the USA, he's probably telling you the truth*.

*When anyone says that they can't buy the item for less than another local retailer sells it for, then they're either lying or a moron. Their worst case scenario is to buy from the other retailer... ::)

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2011, 10:40:28 am »
I understand it is for freight costs, but dealers do expect a customer to wait until it fits their schedule.They do not offer to have it posted in a bag from the warehouse.As I said this gives people ample motivation to buy online and have it shipped out. The days of bullshitting about the difficulties of international airfreight are dead.
All the clothing brands will be made in a factory in China,find the factory then provided you buy the miniumum order your in.Unit price will be very low indeed.  Isn't hard just takes persistance, Steve at the Twostrokeshop does this every day of the week. Has gone up the chain all the way to major component manufacturers. Ask him if you don't believe me ;D
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2011, 10:47:13 am »
There's little doubt that Aussie importers/wholesalers are a big part of the reason why Aussie retailers can't be competitive with OS retailers.

When your local retailer says that he can't buy an item for the price you can buy it from the USA, he's probably telling you the truth*.

Dead right, I used to retail some M/C acessories I needed a pair of fox pants. $180 wholesale $280 retail.  I went to BTO and got the same pants, jersey, gloves two pairs of socks and some goggle lenses for $180 landed when we were in the 70cent bracket.

I don't envy anyone trying to make a living out of a motorcycle shop.  The mark up is lousy and that's before the internet even gets into it.

The family car had a slightly weeping radiator from a soft spot in a couple of tubes.  I went to get it fixed. "Nah mate not worth fixing $770 for a recore has to get sent to S.A. take about a week".  Okay a week is about 10-12 days.  It's the family car and can't be off the road, so 2 weeks car hire on top. Let's say $1,200 minimum.  
Get on the net, new radiator $250 inc shipping to my door in 4 days.  I know I should support my local radiator bloke, but I saved two mortage payments.  

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2011, 01:00:30 pm »

Sometimes we can do that sometime not. More often that not manufacturers or overseas wholesalers will not sell direct to a retail shop overseas, because they will say you have to go via the authorised importer or wholesaler here. They also will not sell a small order to a retail shop and only want to sell a carton or crates worth to the importer/wholesaler. Most of the stuff i get from overseas is because no on in australia imports it or its NLA here. First stiop is always the importers/wholesalers here.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 01:02:20 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022