Author Topic: RE:wrecker closing down  (Read 22064 times)

firko

Re: RE:wrecker closing down
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2011, 07:01:16 pm »
bargain hunting key pad jokey  should have got it by now .
Walter, you talk as if the bargain hunting keypad jockeys are doing something offensive or wrong. As we discussed on the phone......we're the smart ones Walt. I paid $22.50 for a complete NOS MX360 piston kit today. You find a bike shop that'll match that and they'll get some of my business..

I don't think you quite get it mate. I think I speak for most folks on a budget when I repeat.....my need to save a quid far overrides the wreckers/ bike shops need to make a quid . If a business can't compete with what I pay on eBay that's not my fault or my problem. There are some local businesses that I support, especially for my Maico parts but frankly, everything else I get comes from the USA.

oldfart

« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2011, 08:12:51 pm »
Not at all Walter, why should I pay top dollar for an  item ( local in Oz ) when I can buy it in USA and have it posted here at half the price. My name is Willy Hunt  not Silly c--t 

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2011, 08:34:30 pm »
i don't know were yous find all these bargains on ebay and other places as you can see by my typing im not puter savvy that maybe my problem.but stuff ive needed ive allways found cheaper in aus at local stores.87 cr piston kit from serco,rebuild gasket kit for the same bike bk performance parts for my 72 sl100 at bk performance.maybe i dont know were to look but usually the price of stuff im looking for is on par with what i can buy for locally then add postage compared to petrol id use its usually cheaper for me to go for a short drive and bring the part home.got my xr100 brake plate from the wrecker this thread is about this morning $30 wich i dont think is a bad price considering new from honda is $90.even clutch kit for my 02 kx125 my mechanic could order and have delivered to his shop cheaper than i could find on the net.cheers gary

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2011, 08:46:02 pm »
It takes skill, knowing what search terms and key words to use and searching from different ebay sites. If you just go to the Australian one and click 'worldwide' it will not show everything world wide at all. I also find it far easier to find anything on the internet if i do a image search than a website search on Google or Yahoo etc. Then click on the photo and see where it takes you. It can also be a lot quicker too.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2011, 08:54:38 pm »
hey stewart when it comes to searching for stuff on computers i think i might be that silly fellow you mentioned :o.cheers gary

Offline b490

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2011, 11:15:16 pm »
Bought this parts bike recently ...Wonder what the wreckers would have wanted?
Only missing the airfilter cage & a few minor bits
Regards ,
               Steve
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190503445717&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 11:20:01 pm by b490 »

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2011, 09:52:10 am »
I've been following this one for a while and thought I'd give my two bobs worth.

Wreckers:

definatley a dying breed, I haven't been to one for a couple of years now, for me OHS killed them, I would spend half of my Saturday morning wondering around the back of Australian dirt bike wreckers in Slacks creek looking for bits, not finding what I wanted but still leaving with half a ute load of crap I didn't. Once they stopped allowing you through to do your own search, all the fun went out of it.
I never begrudged them the price they charged, being in business myself I realise it's not what you think it's worth, but what it cost them to provide that part to you.

Online shopping:

I haven't found it to be the bargain heaven that some people have, especially O.S. shopping, more the convenience of finding everything you need from the comfort of your lounge chair. Sure there are bargains to be had, but I think they have always been there, the internet just makes them accessible.
I am currently shopping for '89 cr 500 bits'n'peices and there certainly isn't the massive difference in prices between U.S. and Aussie ebay, but moreover, a clutch/waterpump cover from U.S. ebay is only $30 cheaper(shipping included) than my local Honda dealer.
I will always try and support my local small business/dealer whenever possible. Just 'cause.

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2011, 10:15:23 am »
pretty much what i recon evo half the fun was walking around through all the old crap.speaking of crap just got back from a swap meat at beenleigh showground saw a mid seventies yz250 pretty tidy the fella said he races it number was 333 $3500 and a rm125 in pieces but all there around 87 mod complete motor turns freely low compression rest of bike in pieces good frame forks only had very minor rust between triple clamps all plastics there not to bad $180 or make an offer they will be there till about lunchtime.cheers gary

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2011, 10:17:47 am »
sorry anyone interested let me know before lunchtime and i can go and grab there ph number.cheers gary

monaro308

« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2011, 09:21:42 pm »
My 2 cents.......like firko,i am here to support myself firstly.
I will then support anyone that is the cheapest i can find.....the key is homework....prices here and the rest of the world.
When i work it out,they get my money.
I've supported my local Suzuki or any Suzi shop that has/can get the part i want thats within a few bucks of O/Seas prices inc delivery.
My mates  have starting getting tyres or is that tires from Rocky mountain in the US at approx $70.00
Here ? ?  $125.00 + ..........which would you buy? ::)
As for the shops /owners crying about aussie support,my question is
WHERE ARE YOU BUYING YOUR STUFF FROM?  ;)hmmm wouldn't be o/seas would it?

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2011, 09:07:38 am »
yes i do buy os -when i need to, if i cant get the parts here apart from the bikes i import which is a different situation

TM BILL

« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2011, 10:12:09 am »
yes i do buy os -when i need to, if i cant get the parts here apart from the bikes i import which is a different situation

Different in what way ?

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2011, 11:14:50 am »
I'm with Evo,92 XR400 valve train in my SL350 racemotor,try working that one out off on/line shopping,sat morning ratting through my local wreckers engine room,(BMW1100rs valves were a failure in my MV :(),their metal scrap bins an eyeopener too,such a waste,best avoided if the sympathetic hoarder "disease" in you is strong ;D,they are necessary,so support them when you can,we do need them,remember how much was lost at Newie when taken for scrap, Mick De will vouch for that one! :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2011, 06:24:37 pm »

Different in what way ?

you cant go and order a new kx250 A3 from your local dealer ;D

TM BILL

« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2011, 06:25:42 pm »
Fair call  :D