Author Topic: MotoXfox paint colors.  (Read 4344 times)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
MotoXfox paint colors.
« on: March 05, 2011, 09:21:32 pm »
OK all you geniues out there, does anybody know the correct shades or paint codes for the motoxfox tanks they painted up in the day (RM's in particular). I know they where yellow in the middle, orange on the top and red on the bottom (red and orange could have been around the other way?)...there are a few tanks out there that are done wrong so I dont want to go down that road. I have 3 to paint...2 125 tanks and 1 250 tank. Any leads or tips would be greatly appreciated....it's got to be better than Jerry's Bulcrapo stuff ;D...cheers DC.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

TM BILL

Re: MotoXfox paint colors.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 07:14:28 am »
3 tanks Jezzzus going by the price of the Nogouchi tank thats about the price of a works TM 250  :o

Dont forget the yellow band runs straight across the tank not on an angle  ;)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 08:15:26 am »
I know that.

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 10:06:01 am »
Mr Tite , I am still not convinced these are the right colours ???  Rm 125  race # 12
check out the 1980 colours and they seem to much closer.
 http://www.vintagefactory.com/New%20Index.htm

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 11:51:31 am »
I can't grab the photo from the site because of work IT restrictions but have you had a look at the Steve Wise replica RM370 on Arizona Mikes Vintage bike page.  That might help.

cheers
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 06:09:59 pm »
Those bikes are still not original Fox bikes from the 70's so are just some ones interpretation of the colours. You need the '76 and '77 MXA mags that have the pics of Pat Richters MotoX Fox bikes.
I'm still not sure that all Fox bikes were orange/yellow/red, some look to be just orange/yellow.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 06:17:28 pm »
Have you got the mags Johnnyboy? ;D

oldfart

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 06:18:47 pm »
John, I read an article just recently and said the colours were   .. orange
                                                                                             yellow
                                                                                             Bright red
See If i can dig it up again.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 06:23:54 pm »
Have you got the mags Johnnyboy? ;D
Yes i have the mags somewhere, i used them when i painted mine about 6 years ago. My tank has been sitting on a shelf until i recently started using it.

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 06:28:35 pm »
I'm trying to find the pic I found on face book the other day to show it here. The fox transporter is painted in the same colours

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 06:32:18 pm »
John, I read an article just recently and said the colours were   .. orange
                                                                                             yellow
                                                                                             Bright red
See If i can dig it up again.
See what you can find Stew, i'm just not sure about the 2 or 3 colour paintwork.

oldfart

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 06:38:40 pm »
Fox Racing first opened for business in 1974, when Geoff Fox, a Ph. D. who taught physics at the University of Santa Clara, launched Moto- X Fox, a tiny distribution business for European motocross bikes in a 1,500-square foot building in Campbell, California. Within two years, Moto-X Fox was manufacturing high-performance and engine components for racers looking for an on-track advantage. In the spring of 1977, determined to show the American motocross public that his products were superior to those of the competition, Fox created his own privately-owned professional motocross team, Team Moto-X Fox. Going up against the might of the Japanese factory teams, Team Moto-X Fox riders placed fifth, sixth and seventh in the highly-competitive AMA 125cc National Championship series, thereby achieving Geoff's goal of proving that his handmade parts were the best that money could buy.

During that same summer Fox also managed to impress American motocross fans in a way he had not initially intended. While competing in the heat, humidity, sand, mud, rain that came along with the six-round series, Team Moto-X Fox riders wore red, yellow and orange race outfits. Handmade by Fox, the clothing became an instant hit with the fans and interested enthusiasts started calling the Fox shop in Campbell inquiring about its availability. Fox knew he was onto something big, and by 1980 he had completely reorganized and repositioned his company to be a major player in the U.S. motocross apparel industry. In 1980, Fox Racing rider Mark Barnett won the company's first National Championship, and two years later, Brad Lackey won Racing's (and the United States') first World Motocross Championship. In the ensuing two-plus decades, Fox Racing-sponsored riders have won over 30 National Motocross and Supercross Championships. In fact during the summer of 2002, Fox Racing riders Ricky "RC" Carmichael (an eight-time AMA Champion) and James Stewart (a 16 year-old rookie) re-wrote the American motocross record books by completely dominating the National Championship circuits. Wearing his signature orange Fox gear, RC won 24 out of 24 motos, on his way to the sport's first ever “perfect season.”

oldfart

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 06:53:06 pm »

oldfart

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 07:52:43 pm »
Here are the colours as described by Fox..........paragragh 4

The early history of Fox Racing and Fox Racing Shox were intertwined. Fox Racing Shox is a brand of offroad racing suspension components founded by Geoff Fox's brother, Bob Fox. Fox Racing Shox were distributed by Moto-X Fox and Bob's company was originally under the corporate umbrella of Moto-X Fox. In 1977 Bob's division split out as a separate company called Fox Factory Inc.[1]

Fox Head, Inc. headquarters are in Morgan Hill, California, with additional offices in Irvine, California and Newcastle upon Tyne in the United Kingdom. Fox built its business by developing clothing for motocross. Through sponsoring and working closely with riders such as Ricky Carmichael, James Stewart, Damon Bradshaw, Rick Johnson, Mark Barnett, Doug Henry, Jeremy McGrath and Steve Lamson,[citation needed] the company has researched and developed race clothing that provides riders with protection, performance and freedom of movement.

Fox Racing first opened for business in 1974, when Geoff Fox, a Ph.D. who taught physics at the Santa Clara University, launched Moto-X Fox, a distribution business for European motocross parts and accessories in a 1,500-square-foot (140 m2) building in Campbell, California. Within two years, Moto-X Fox was manufacturing suspension and engine components for racers looking for an on-track advantage. In the spring of 1977, Geoff was determined to show the American motocross public that his products were superior to those of the competition. He created his own privately-owned professional motocross team, Team Moto-X Fox. Going up against the Japanese factory teams, Team Moto-X Fox riders became the top non-factory riders in the series, finishing fifth, sixth and seventh in the highly-competitive AMA 125 cc National Championship series.[citation needed]

During the series, Team Moto-X Fox riders wore bright red, yellow and orange race outfits. Handmade by Fox, the clothing became a hit with the fans and interested enthusiasts started calling the Fox shop in Campbell enquiring about its availability.[citation needed] In 1980, Fox rider Mark Barnett won the company's first National Championship, and two years later, Brad Lackey won Fox 's (and the United States') first Motocross World Championship.[citation needed] In the ensuing two-plus decades, Fox-sponsored riders have won over forty National Motocross and Supercross Championships.[citation needed] In 2006 Fox rider Ricky Carmichael won the AMA Supercross Championship, while Lifelong Fox rider James Stewart won the FIM World Supercross Championship.

In July 2006, Fox Racing decided to change its name to Fox Head Racing, Inc.[2] The move was complete by the fall of that year. Fox decided such a change would help the brand further penetrate sporting venues aside from motocross, such as surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding.

Today, Fox remains a family owned and operated business, with the second generation working full-time at the company.[3]

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 09:29:18 pm »
Find that truck Bradley.....there are so many variations out there, who knows whats right?.....I'll send a email to Fox....see, I told you it would be better than Jerry and the pacemakers....where's the big fellow....he would have been living there then?