Author Topic: Silver Suzuki plastics  (Read 5576 times)

pbear62

Silver Suzuki plastics
« on: February 01, 2008, 03:11:55 pm »
Hi guys, I know this has been discussed at length before but I never had reason (or the memory!) to remember what the outcome is/was. Now I've ordered a new RM front guard & they are now painted a lovely shade of silver instead of the original yellow. >:(  Because I'm obsessive compulsive this needs to be put back to the correct colour & needs to look perfect! (without painting it preferably) Could we please all go through the solutions again - pleeeeease!!!

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Silver Suzuki plastics
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 04:56:53 pm »
Hi PBear,
Yeah, blood Suzuki what are they thinking!!!!

Anyway, I had great sucess using a mild paint stripper and a scotchbrite pad.

I found the trick was to only apply the paint stripper [make sure it is recommended for plastic - most are] for a very short time. This softens the paint and then you GENTLY rub the area with the scotchbrite pad. You might have to do this 3 or 4 times until you break through the outer surface of the paint. DON'T LEAVE THE STRIPPER ON UNTIL THE PAINT BUBBLES!!! Just long enough to soften the surface.

Rinse the plastic under running water between every application of the paint stripper to ensure that is is all removed.

The initial surface is far harder, but once you have got through that the paint comes away very easily using the scotchbrite pad under running water. Any hard to remove bits, just hit with the paint stripper for a few minutes to soften and repeat the process until all the paint has been removed.

If you go slowly and carefully you won't damage the plastic.
Good luck
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 05:05:15 pm »
I have done many before using paint stripper and the pressure washer. Screw the panel to a piece of wood so it won't fly away when you hit it with the pressure washer. I let the paint bubble and away you go. The plastic has not been affected by the stripper I use, K&H brand from an automotive paint supplier. I have never had to use any abtrasives or scothbrite to finish the job, just wash in soapy water and polish. The silver paint is generally a very light coat and comes off easily.
Cheers,
K

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 05:07:31 pm »
Looks like I need to buy a pressure-washer.
Good tip
Thanks
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 05:41:22 pm »
your thumb over the garden hose will be fine. Just let the paint stripper do its work and when the paint is all bubbled up hose it off. Apply plenty of paint stripper, dont be tight, and you will find that the paint will just about fall off.  Dont apply the paint stripper in direct sunlight because it dries to fast and the paint will dry back on the guard. Do one side at a time and make sure the guard is dry each time before you start appling the paint stripper, it will work allot better.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 05:43:58 pm by DJRacing »
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

pbear62

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 03:29:05 pm »
Thanks for the info guys. Next problem is that when I went to pick the new one up the parts guy says "sorry, it's got a small scratch on it" - not too much drama I think but under the lovely glossy silver paint the guard is GREY!! - all the way through! It seems Suzuki don't make them from yellow plastic anymore.  >:( >:(  . Worth enquiring about before ordering in a part that is "non-returnable"
Plan B is get one ex USA - they apparently didn't have the silver paint problem that we have. Will keep you all informed.

80sminis

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 03:41:31 pm »
Just thought I'd let everyone know that I recently (1 week ago) bought sideplates and rear fender for my 1981 RM80 from Western Motorcycles Penrith. Genuine Suzuki parts and they are the original yellow colour (not painted silver).

Not sure if this applies for all models though.

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 05:45:46 pm »
Take a trip down to your local automotive paint shop and ask for bumper bar paint stripper. This is a specific solvent designed for plastic bumper bars that attacks the paint and not the plastic. Its a little more exxey than normal stripper and typically comes in a pressure pack. I've had problems with some of the industrical strippers that melt the paint into a sticky mess that stains the yellow plastic.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 08:45:21 pm »
If its enamel...

Carefully combine the following in carefully measured increments in a sterile flask

Step 1;1 part hydrogen and two parts oxygen

Step 2; combine with an equal amount of surgical disenfectant

Sewp 3; marinate for a day or two and hose clean.

If the above is too difficult to procure try 50/50 mix of dettol and water

Now i have to kill you.. ;)

oldfart

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 08:52:07 pm »
Shane ole mate , good to see you posting again. 

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 07:56:23 am »
I have just bought a couple of RMT genuine front number plates from Suzuki and the yellow is a bit off......more like DC plastics color....has Suzuki "made in japan" on it....I wonder if they have sent the machine that pumps them out to Thailand or something to pump them out cheaper?.....makes you wonder where they store their machinery after they think they have finished with it....wheres marcFX?...well have to put him on the case.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

DR

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 01:11:35 pm »
I bought a new genuine 400C/N/T front plate the other week, no colour issues at all ;)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 03:56:42 pm »
makes you wonder where they store their machinery after they think they have finished with it....wheres marcFX?...well have to put him on the case.

I heard the reason they started painting them silver was to stop guys bitching on VMX forums about the color variations  ;D Actually Suzuki is not bad you can still actually buy guards for 30 year old MX bikes.
formerly Marc.com

oldfart

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 05:42:34 pm »
Bike shop-  advised me that if they have enough B/0 and there is a demand , they will keep producing plastics ???

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 06:40:46 pm »
Bike shop-  advised me that if they have enough B/0 and there is a demand , they will keep producing plastics ???
What? Translation please, Stewart.