Author Topic: 1974 yamaha YZ250A Completely Rebuilt......Ebay  (Read 17393 times)

mx250

1974 yamaha YZ250A Completely Rebuilt......Ebay
« on: February 24, 2011, 11:58:37 pm »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190503316846&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

If it's been rebuilt as described it worth every bit of the $750 being asked.

I'm intrigued by the "Ignition system; Electronic with electronic advance, comes with brain box, coil, kill switch and wireing. This is a slightly heavier flywheel than the Yamaha YZA internal rotor system. (Very trick, great power band with the larger flywheel and electronic advance) all parts for ignition come from a Kawasaki KX80 2000 to 2008, modified flywheel taper to fit the stock YZA Crank."

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: 1974 yamaha YZ250A Completely Rebuilt......Ebay
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 12:48:12 am »
yer i have been studying that ign, im not sure he chose it cause it fits or because there easy to buy.  he would have still stuffed about getting the taper on the rotr changed, but saying that why not a YZ80 or a Cr 80 etc ? whats the draw card, the bulky flywheel and weight.

interesting any way.  what i dont get is why he would think its a good thing that he ground off all the Engine numbers, i know where he bought the nos clutch etc from, so im even begining to think its RT1 morphed with YZ stuff to create a rebuild YZ motor with the obvious YZ stuff fitted. id be interested to find out if that gearset and crank are YZ and from that motor.... or
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 08:03:43 am »
Your loosing it Freaky....just buy it, you know you want to......have you sent my shit yet?
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

mx250

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 09:01:22 am »
yer i have been studying that ign, im not sure he chose it cause it fits or because there easy to buy.  he would have still stuffed about getting the taper on the rotr changed, but saying that why not a YZ80 or a Cr 80 etc ? whats the draw card, the bulky flywheel and weight.

interesting any way.  what i dont get is why he would think its a good thing that he ground off all the Engine numbers, i know where he bought the nos clutch etc from, so im even begining to think its RT1 morphed with YZ stuff to create a rebuild YZ motor with the obvious YZ stuff fitted. id be interested to find out if that gearset and crank are YZ and from that motor.... or
If you are interested Freaky talk to the guy. I think he is a DT/RT regular. I think this is some of his previous work.He does good, dedicated, informed work.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 04:43:00 pm »
Your loosing it Freaky....just buy it, you know you want to......have you sent my shit yet?

NO sorry....  im waiting to post it with the stuff to stewy.  Find me a 18" 36 hole rear rim for cheap and i wont need to hold back the post..........
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 09:49:42 pm »
The motor went for 2 grand.....just shows you that YZ250/360A's are THE most sort after and valuble japanese motocross bike EVER made.....Elsinore shit....ha ha......not counting "Works" bikes ofcourse. ;D

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 10:42:18 pm »
The motor went for 2 grand.....just shows you that YZ250/360A's are THE most sort after and valuble japanese motocross bike EVER made.....Elsinore shit....ha ha......not counting "Works" bikes ofcourse. ;D

Yeah not counting RH Suzukis I guess. I have been looking for one for a while now. One day I will pounce.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 11:04:29 pm »
An RH Marc or a YZee....I can do you a deal on DJ's one at Easter when I pick it up.....pigs ill fly before that one ever goes ;D.....I just need a 360A to go with my collection.....one day ;)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 10:01:15 pm »
Was about $800 tooo expensive.  PArts in the rebuild would at best be $500
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 10:30:45 pm »
Your on drugs again Freaky....it even had a trick ignition....I thought 2 grand was cheap....the NOS clutch cover and clutch actuation cover are worth more than 5 hundred....if I was looking for a spare engine I would gladly pay 2 grand....like I said, you must have had a big day today....now wheres my parts?

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 09:58:59 am »
An RH Marc or a YZee....I can do you a deal on DJ's one at Easter when I pick it up.....pigs ill fly before that one ever goes ;D.....I just need a 360A to go with my collection.....one day ;)

A YZ250A would be nice, just waiting on something suitable in bits to turn up.
formerly Marc.com

Offline 74yza

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 10:11:08 am »
I have one in bits or more of a complete core bike if you are interested.    Tom 
Looking for 74 75 YZ 250/360  WORKS parts  Anything !

firko

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 10:40:53 am »
Perhaps I've lost track of the market but that "YZ" engine looked a fair bit overpriced. Sure the clutch side cases are expensive if you can find them but if you're restoring an all points resto, money's no object. If it's performance advantage you're looking for there's nothing that can't be easily done to a $20 DT2 reed engine barring the gearbox ratios (which I'm told can be closely replicated with a little mix'n'matching). As far as the KX ignition being trick.....well perhaps it's a bit more advanced that the original but it ain't no PVL or anything as trick as any of the other quality aftermarket ignitions available today.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:03:39 am by firko »

Offline 74yza

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 10:48:12 am »
Guy's  Chuck Davis is the person that sold the motor and it is 100% YZA parts. The motor was offered to me before being put on Ebay and we discussed it extensively. The cases are original 431's because he purchased them from me a few years ago. Chuck does everything top notch being that he is a roadracer and a very good mechanic. The motor was intended to go into a roadrace frame but he wasn't allowed to have a reed cage motor. The clutch cover,clutch actuator (and push assy)are NOS as stated. I don't know who won it but they are getting a very nice engine.   Tom 
Looking for 74 75 YZ 250/360  WORKS parts  Anything !

firko

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 10:58:53 am »
That's cool. As long as it's 'genuinly genuine' all is well. I based my "DT1" suspicion on my and another mates impression after viewing the shots. It just goes to show that we can all get it wrong (sometimes) ;D
It's still expensive but I guess the YZa market's changed since a mate (the same one who thought it was a DT1) bought a 360A engine at a Swapmeet for $50 back in the mid 90's. I'll remove my evil accusations. ;)