Author Topic: Yamaha forks.  (Read 1283 times)

firko

Yamaha forks.
« on: February 19, 2011, 09:47:21 am »
Wanted.
I'm in need of a clean set of Yamaha 34mm forks, preferably DT/MX250. Failing the availability of a complete set of forks, a reasonably rust free set of fork tubes will get me out of trouble.

While I'm on the subject, seeing that these forks are for my flat tracker I'd like to know if the vavious fork tubes for different models are different lengths? I'd prefer the shortest available. Do RD/YDS 34mm tubes fit alloy DT sliders?

Sorry for all of the questions but I've never spent much time with these forks other than a straight seal and oil replacement. I don't really know what fits what so I'm hoping you early Yamaha brainiacs can help me out.

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Yamaha forks.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 10:05:57 am »
TY250 (34mm) tubes are 565mm long
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 07:37:16 pm »
The 34mm MX/DT/YZ fork upper legs have about 30mm from longest to shortest. The longer ones at ~30mm longer than the shortest, but the travel is all the same. The extra length is all meant to live above the top of the top triple clamp, so is immaterial.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 12:04:31 am »
SO do they all fit to the differant lowers >
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 03:53:13 am »
SO do they all fit to the differant lowers >
i've mixed 'n' matched a few Freaky and as long as you stick to 34mm it all seems to work.
damper rods and top out springs/all internals just swap right over ;)
"flat bickie"

firko

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 07:10:22 pm »
BUMP! :o I'm getting a tad anxious as I have yet to find a usable pair of 34mm Yamaha forks. I've got TM Suzuki and an offer of Kawasaki 34 forks but really prefer Yamaha as I'm using a conical Yamaha front hub and don't want to root around making adapters....I've got enough to do as it is. If anyone has a pair of DT/MX 34mm forks that they'd like to sell me I'll be eternally grateful.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 09:20:20 pm »
i have some pair but mostly are rusted on the slider section, hence have not got round to re chroming them.  might be too late to get that done now ?
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

firko

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 10:18:30 pm »
  I've got three sets of rusty ones Freaky. Thanks anyway mate.