Author Topic: Catalina GP (warning contains VMX footage)  (Read 1023 times)

TooFastTim

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
Re: Catalina GP (warning contains VMX footage)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 10:00:22 am »
Good get Tim reminds me of the Elsinore GP in "On Any Sunday" Whatever breed that Yamaha was he could ride that's for sure. Jerry

TooFastTim

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 10:06:14 am »
Whatever breed that Yamaha was he could ride that's for sure. Jerry

He starts off slowly and gets into his stride doesn't he? Pity about that corner on which he made a mistake, he lost a whole bunch of places he'd just made up.

mx250

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 10:19:12 am »
Thanks Tim. I have posted that Vid earlier...

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=16856.0

.......but I still watched all of it and enjoyed it. I enjoy every bit of it.

I really feel like I'm on the bike. It sounds like my old YDS right down to the missed gear changes (I'm not sure if the YDS had dodgy gear selection or this rider missed under the 'pressure of combat' and I missed because I was a novice ::) when I rode the YDS (my first bike)).

That rider is a decent rider getting that pace out of a basically road bike ( as seen against some later MX specific bikes - riders not withstanding). I'm not saying that I'm as good but I felt comfortable 'riding with him' looking over his shoulder. His speed and risk taking and passing moves are about what I would do.

I think Fumio's ride was probably the first Japanese 'works' dirt/MX racer and Yamaha's first international racing attempt. Of course the Yank jurno's gave disparaging remarks about Yamaha's efforts (like the Brits of the time) - probably fired up the Japanese to get the 'almond eyes' to eat their words.

And hence every grid of every race of every discipline is filled with Japanese bikes today. It all started with Yamaha at Catalina (unless someone can correct me).

mx250

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 10:42:01 am »
Did you see this as well....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wNUl4ebXrI&feature=related

The footage is great but the commentator is hysterical - sounds like Max (not so) Smart ;D.

TooFastTim

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 12:55:21 pm »
Thanks Tim. I have posted that Vid earlier...

Sorry 'bout that. Didn't mean to steal your thunder.