Author Topic: Motoplat HV Ignition Coils - Red Lead vs Black Lead?  (Read 1740 times)

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Motoplat HV Ignition Coils - Red Lead vs Black Lead?
« on: February 12, 2011, 07:20:52 pm »
Any Motoplat gurus out there know what the deal is with the Motoplat HT coils - red lead models vs black lead models ?  I have read that you can't interchange them and was wondering what the difference between the two types is  ??? ???. Thanks   :)
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

montynut

Re: Motoplat HV Ignition Coils - Red Lead vs Black Lead?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 06:38:29 am »
The black lead coils are just that a simple ignition coil.

The red lead coils have some of the electronics located in the coil. There is a transistor, capacitor and I beleive an SCR located in the red lead coils while the black lead systems have those components located in the stator.

I would assume (there is that word) these components where moved to the coil for better cooling.

The coils are interchangable in so far as you can use a red lead coil on all systems but a black lead coil is only suitable for a system with the electronic components located in the stator as without those conponents the system will not work.

Unfortunately I do not believe that if the transistor, capacitor and SCR fails in the 'black lead' stator you can not just replace the black lead coil with a red lead coil. Life is never that simple :'(

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: Motoplat HV Ignition Coils - Red Lead vs Black Lead?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 10:23:39 am »
Ah ha  :D :D Thanks montynut I knew someone out there would have the good oil.  Mucho gracias amigo ;D ;D
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE