Author Topic: Fork ID Help Please YZ, IT, TT?  (Read 3438 times)

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
Fork ID Help Please YZ, IT, TT?
« on: February 12, 2011, 01:21:47 pm »
Any Ideas?

Overall length is 910mm.

Fork tubes are 36mm dia.

Distance between centres is 180mm.

I have been scratching my head wondering if they are YZ or IT, but then it was suggested that they could be TT. When I bought them I was told that they were YZ125D, however, they seem too short and lack the air caps, perhaps IT175?

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 01:59:35 pm by rocketfrog »
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Fork ID YZ, IT, TT?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 01:30:15 pm »

Pinch bolt at top and bottom clamp.

Swept back handlebar mounts.

Looks like an aluminium dust seal retainer.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 01:35:55 pm by rocketfrog »
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 01:39:00 pm »

Top Bolt Cap is valveless type, spacer looks like a custom Aluminium item instead of the usual steel spacer.

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 01:43:08 pm »

Leading axle KYB, with bleeder screw on the outside of each leg. Base of fork to axle centreline is 75mm.

Nil internal thread on Axle Bores, Axle must require a nut intead of threading into opposite leg as per circa 1980 YZ.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 01:49:07 pm by rocketfrog »

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 01:54:25 pm »

Fork Boots have fewer "Deep" corrugations than circa 1980 models, These Boots appear to belong to the forks i.e not like aftermarket type.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Fork ID Help Please YZ, IT, TT?
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 09:53:18 pm »
Looks like 125D to me.
Although, I've never been able to fathom the differences between 125D, 125E, IT175D, IT175E, IT175F and TT250G forks - fair enough that the springs and stuff are different between the bikes, but they've all got different part numbers for both the lower legs and the upper tubes - even though they all look identical to each other. And this is despite me having all but the TT forks in the one place at the one time to compare...

The specs say that 125E have marginally more travel than 125D, but its less that I could measure (with the bikes on their wheels, so sag would make a difference).

Boots are definitely genuine Yamaha.

I've also got some very hazy thought that ITs (and presumably TT) have the holes in the front underside of the top triple clamp tapped (M6 x 1.0) while the YZs are just a plain hole. Will need to check on that when there's daylight.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 08:52:51 am by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 10:17:01 pm »
Thanks Nathan.

Yes, looking at all the pics I can muster, it is difficult to pick. Although the caps may have been switched at some point, did 125D have aircaps originally and 36mm?

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 10:26:46 pm »
Yes and yes.

I wouldn't place too much significance in the fork caps though - the air caps have commonly been butchered through rough mekaniking, so its entierly possible that they've been replaced with non-YZ parts in the past.

The alloy spacer under the fork cap is non-factory, too.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 11:04:31 pm »
the alloy spacers look like the ones used on ty yamahas
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 12:39:29 pm »
Thanks for your input guys, I am reasonably happy that they are 125D with non YZ caps and spacers. Perhaps TY as you say Iain, I cant say I checked that angle. Does 190 cm sound about right for the overall length? The crappy forks we removed from the bike originally were considerably longer, although the sliders were similar in appearance. I guess theres nothing to say that the forks fitted to the bike were stock anyways.

Cheers Jason

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 04:34:22 pm »
As the Front end is no longer required due to the bike being sold as an unfinished project, I will be offloading to recover some funds. If there is any interest from Forum Guys the price is $160 plus post. These forks are in great condition i.e no pitting on the chrome anywhere and seals are good, so just oil up and go.