Author Topic: Pre85 fourstroke allpowers class  (Read 10434 times)

Offline bigthumpa

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Pre85 fourstroke allpowers class
« on: February 10, 2011, 08:43:19 pm »
Was wondering what level of support there may be for a ''Pre85 fourstroke allpowers class''? Would this encourage all those CCM's, HL's, TT's, Husky 510's etc to come out and have a play? Maybe a support class for Crystal Brook and, just maybe, a championship class in the future. What do you guys think???? :)

Offline head

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Pre85 fourstroke allpowers class
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 08:50:23 pm »
I like the sound of that. Good luck

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 08:58:11 pm »
I think it's a good idea but i'd rather see it as an Evo 4 stroke class otherwise stock XR600's and TT600's will clean up and why would you bother with a mega dollar twin shock CCM or HL when a standard single shock bike would be better..

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 09:06:51 pm »
I very much agree with JohnnyO's take on this.

EVO 4 stroke all powers would account well for the twin shock hybrids
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Kane Mcguire

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 11:10:15 pm »
"stock xr and tt will clean up" , no way.  on vintage tracks (smoother) the difference is minimal. its the rider that wins not the bike. i think its more important to have pre 85 so we can have max number of bikes on start line.

Offline head

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 11:27:44 pm »
Pre 85 all the way. TC510 is way better than a XR or TT

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 07:15:53 am »
As I own a 84 KTM four banger I like this idea.
As most the singles would be trail bikes converted I cant see how a purpose built twin shock MXer would be at a disavantage? IMO a 84 Husky MXer would be the gun bike.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:41:50 am by Slakewell »
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 08:31:21 am »
As I own a 84 KTM four banger I like this idea.
As most the singles would be trail bikes converted I cant see how a purpose built twin shock MXer would be at a disavantage? IMO a 84 Husky MXer would be the gun bike.
You don't think single shock disc brake is better than twin shock drum brake??
Most of the purpose built 4 stroke MX'ers used frames designed and built in the 70's with trail bike engines from the 70's (apart from the husky).. Bikes changed a lot in the 80's.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 08:37:56 am »
"stock xr and tt will clean up" , no way.  on vintage tracks (smoother) the difference is minimal. its the rider that wins not the bike. i think its more important to have pre 85 so we can have max number of bikes on start line.
True it is up to the rider but i'd like to see the rules encourage people to bring out those trick '70's built 4 stroke C&J's, HL's, CCM's BSA's etc.
A field full of used and abused XR's and TT's would be about as exciting as a trip to the local quarry 20 years ago with all the bush bashers out in force.

Offline head

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 09:27:03 am »
If you make it EVO the Husky 510 1983/84 is still way better than any special built bike. It would have to be pre 78 to protect all those 70's specials. I am all for pre 85 but that is my opinion. People build bikes to suit the rules. Make it EVO and you will see Maico framed specials Huskies etc. They will still flog a lot of the early specials. Make it pre78 Then heaps of latter bikes miss out. Make it pre85 everyone can ride. There will always be bikes that do not fit the class or are not competitive, but that is the case with all VMX racing.

Offline Graham

• A-Grade
  • Fast TT meets Drunks Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 08:39:29 pm »
If you make it EVO the Husky 510 1983/84 is still way better than any special built bike. It would have to be pre 78 to protect all those 70's specials. I am all for pre 85 but that is my opinion. People build bikes to suit the rules. Make it EVO and you will see Maico framed specials Huskies etc. They will still flog a lot of the early specials. Make it pre78 Then heaps of latter bikes miss out. Make it pre85 everyone can ride. There will always be bikes that do not fit the class or are not competitive, but that is the case with all VMX racing.

Not so we have one of the best 4 stroke riders here in QLD Tony Caville, BSA 500 on methanol will beat a 2010 RMZ 450 in a start line drag,belive it was best of 4 ,it won every time,so bring it on any size and age up to pre 85, you might be suprised whats at the front of the field
Gosh its a shame a slow 4 stroke trail bike can go so Fast !!

Offline Kane Mcguire

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 08:51:10 pm »
your right graham "bring it on any size any age!" iv seen caville and his bsa give a tt500 engine in a 1981 maico 490 frame the big get out of my way for a whole race! most important to me is to get as many in each race as possible.  thats real racing!

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 11:13:46 pm »
Tony Cavell is a good rider and would be interesting to see how high up he could finish in a pre '85 race on that BSA but an equal rider on a TT500 engined '81 Maico should always win.
Maybe it would be better to start with a pre '85 class to make sure there are enough numbers to run the class, there aren't that many good twinshock 4 strokes around.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 08:45:18 am »
Why do you need a "four stroke" class? Just ride the bikes in amongst everything else in the appropriate class.
K

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 08:48:32 am »
Yea....like they use to....its racist really isnt it?....wheres the politically correct morrons....at the end of the day its usually the rider , not so much the bike.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.