Author Topic: Rickman but not VMX  (Read 7557 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
formerly Marc.com

mx250

Re: Rickman but not VMX
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 09:40:45 pm »
That's one for the pool room  8).

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 09:47:54 pm »
Appears to be the one John Hartle rode in practice for the 1968 TT, with the disc front brake fitted...but I'll bet, not drilled like it is now... ::)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 01:58:40 am by GD66 »
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

mx250

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 09:50:53 pm »
A bit of controversy and history;

"The bike is gorgeous, and I trust it will bring a decent sale price. Just one comment on the front disk brake- The Rickman Bros. did not develop the first front disk, rather Al Gunter did, a So. Cal. flat track racer (Crazy Al). He began marketing a few of the basket-style hubs and disks, basket needed to fit a disk and properly laced wheel in the narrow fork tube spacing at the time, to racers in 1963. I have a published article about it from 1963 (and I have an Al Gunter repop hub and disk on my '64 G80CS/Metisse). The Rickman Bros shamelessly stole his design (in all exact detail, with the Lockheed caliper, etc), for which he had a patent application, and began selling them as 'their design' on their road-race bikes. Al died a few years later of injuries from hitting a track wall at speed, so he never got the opportunity to sue them. A black spot on the Rickman Bros record."

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 09:58:54 pm »
A bit of controversy and history;
Al died a few years later of injuries from hitting a track wall at speed, so he never got the opportunity to sue them. A black spot on the Rickman Bros record."[/b][/i]
I believe there was an article in one of the latest OBA mags somewhere on this subject !
oops thanks go to GD66 for the pic !!
cheers A

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 10:11:55 am by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 10:02:02 pm »
Thats a cool bike...i'd have it.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 08:31:03 am »
was that mechanically clamped disc or hydraulic?

there is always one freaking expert every time a Brit bike comes up for sale, what do you think it will go for Alison.
formerly Marc.com

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 09:48:17 am »

what do you think it will go for Alison.

Forked if I know,,but since you asked  ;D   
more than Ceriani forks with Rickman wheels --- to around the Norton Manx gear 40k mark  ;D
ps check out sellers other bikes for sale!!  :P
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 09:57:08 am »
Hi Alison, yeah I think with Bill Ivy history and how desirable it is about 40K. Yeah his Manx and TZ750 are also prime rib race bikes. Pricey but better than money in the bank.
formerly Marc.com

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 01:58:42 am »
was that mechanically clamped disc or hydraulic?

there is always one freaking expert every time a Brit bike comes up for sale, what do you think it will go for Alison.

Locheed disc, says so in the text. Bike didn't meet reserve at $27,760. Not an expert at all, just a wide scope of interest. Any idea why John Hartle didn't ride the Metisse in the TT?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 02:01:32 am by GD66 »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 10:32:56 am »

Locheed disc, says so in the text. Bike didn't meet reserve at $27,760. Not an expert at all, just a wide scope of interest. Any idea why John Hartle didn't ride the Metisse in the TT?
[/quote]

Yeah sorry I was being facetious of course Lockheed ;), I seem to remember they have differing rules for the Manx and Historic GP in regards to brakes. Not sure about John Hartle, better scour my Classic Racers.

at 27 grand it would have been a gift. Most good historic race bikes seem to have 2-3 times that amount in them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJD5KIfxdkg&feature=related
formerly Marc.com

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 07:11:39 pm »

Not sure about John Hartle, better scour my Classic Racers.

He had a guest ride on an MV after several years off, and had the gearbox lock up and spat him off the front, I think in the Quarry Bends. Certainly not the luckiest bloke to ever roll out onto a GP grid...
He was killed at Scarborough later in the year when he crashed his Metisse and hit a bridge staunchion.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 07:42:36 pm »

He had a guest ride on an MV after several years off, and had the gearbox lock up and spat him off
[/quote]

Guess the moral is if you are going to take a guest ride after several years off ride a Ducati  ;)

formerly Marc.com

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 07:50:53 pm »
 :D     ;)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 03:39:17 pm »
and another kidney  :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-AERMACCHI-350-GP-RICKMAN-METISSE-Motorcycle-Continental-Parts-Kit-/110808719901?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item19ccb6e21d

This motorcycle with its 350 GP Aermacchi engine with competition frame by Rickman Metisse was delivered new to the original Australian owner, in 1964.   It is believed to be the only Aermacchi Rickman Metisse in Australia.
I have owned this bike since 1983 and am the third owner.   (details of both 1st and  2nd owners are known).   
It's a very rare and original bike in unmolested and very good original condition, including its faring (faring has minor scuff damage to one side).      The bike is and looks fantastic!
This bike successfully completed its last two races, winning trophies on both occasions ridden by Jim Scaysbrook (who partnered the legendary Mike Hailwood many times).   A marvellous competition bike with history, the engine was rebuilt after its last race.   
Included in the sale is a full "Continental Race Kit", plus spare original Aermacchi Factory head in the following comprehensive list of spares:

1   Spare Engine Head - very good condition

1   New Engine Gasket Set

1   New Con Rod

1   New Set of Valve springs

2   New Inlet Valves

1   New Exhaust Valve

2   New Valve Guides

1   Used Piston (good condition)

2   New Push Rods

1   Cam shaft - as new

1   New Big end assembly

1   New Cam Follower and bushes to suit

3   Used Cam Followers

4   Main Jets

1   Set of Clutch Plates - good condition

1   New Set of Front Brake Pads

3   New Main Engine Bearings

5   Rear Sprockets - all different sizes – good condition

2   Front Sprockets - different sizes – good condition

1   Set of Shims - to adjust rear chain

2   Cam Followers - used in good condition

1   Fly wheel Puller

Aermacchi as the name implies originally made aircraft in Varese in Italy. Between 1948 and 1960 they manufactured some remarkable motorbike including many successful competition machines. Perhaps the two most famous racers of Aermacchi bikes were Alberto Pagani and Gilberto Milani. The factory ran into difficulties in 1960 and was sold to Harley Davidson, and subsequently sold again to become what is now known as Cagiva.
Rickman Metisse was a British firm founded in 1959. The Rickman Brothers (Don and Derek) who were among England's leading motocross riders of the time became well known for producing a range of outstanding frames (which they called Metisse and possibly means 'mongrel') and chassis kits for a variety of engines. Steve McQueen said of his Rickman Metisse, "This rig is the best handling bike I've ever owned." In 1973 the Rickmans received the Queen's Award for Industry and in October 2007 they were inducted into the American Motorcycle Hall of Fame.

Best is in the West !!