Author Topic: Stranded White Whale Returns to the Wild  (Read 7997 times)

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: Stranded White Whale Returns to the Wild
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 09:37:43 pm »
Got the stickers from MXM in the UK Graeme. They do the tank as a standard product on the website. I had them do the side panels and number plate as a special - their standard ones dont have model numbers etc. 

Just send them a picture of what you want and they will do them for you. Note the side panel should have had the H on the Husqvarna as a larger font than the rest of the text.  Also the tank lettering is not correct - font should be much smaller. All depends if you want same as OEM or just something that looks good.

Well done on snagging the 510 TE. Its a ripper.  I am keen on one for the next project .....but may be a while. 
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 11:57:07 am »
Looks awesome to me. The engine and hub paint-is is semi-gloss black? Thank you.
Life is suddenly very Monaro

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 02:46:46 pm »
Nice looking bike, but......... get another set of fonts on them numbers................ekkkkkk
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 11:13:36 am »
MJ - the engine is Wurth semi gloss on cases, VHT barrell paint satin.  The VHT is bubbling already though >:(

Freaky I just used the font MA specify in the rule book - arial round I think. Not very exciting I admit ;D

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 02:17:48 pm »
G'day Pez...I may have read it wrong..but was having a look thru the 2011 MOMs....and all I could find was a specification for numbers on Road Racing bikes...not MX or CMX...or others.....maybe I read it wrong... have another read tell me what you think!!...

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 04:34:49 pm »
You are spot on Watto! I didn't notice that before  :-[ :-[. As I said I thought the font was fine so it saved me having to agonise over others ;D ;D. Its good we can do whatever we like ...unlike our poor road racing cousins....rise up and rebel brothers....twitter like there is no tomorrow...get the rule makers overthrown ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 06:36:45 pm »
Not quite true : there was a requirement to run the dreaded Arial Round font in historic road racing for a couple of years, ridiculous. Looked utterly farcical on old race bikes. And a couple of years ago at the roadrace nats, Those Who Must Be Obeyed insisted the Arial Round font be adopted, but after the first 15 bikes through the scrutineering line had changed their numbers, the organising club ran out of numbers : game over !
 So I attacked when the Historic Commission minutes came out, pointed out the folly of the font and the ridiculous situation, and don't faint but the need for the font was deemed to be no longer necessary ! So that's gone from the GCRs for roadrace historics now.... gasp ! System at work...rising up and rebelling achieved !!

But a set of old, lairy numbers on the Husky should make it all the more gnarly, PEZ... ;) jeez, she's a good-looking unit, mate...
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 12:12:42 am »
Pez-thanks for the reply. I am using Dupli-Color semi gloss black for my 77 390. I have had VHT burn off quickly before-but had good luck with Dupli-color. Thanks again for the pics-great bike.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 10:22:41 am »
I use 2 pack satin black (mixed to match Suzuki engine cases) on everything that needs to be that color. Cases, cylinders, hubs, pipes etc. It's tuff as nails and doesn't burn or flake off anything. It is a tad more expensive, but you generally only do it once per season. VHT are the shitest paints I've ever used and anything from the $2 shop is better.
Cheers,
K
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 10:24:25 am by bigk »

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 12:13:29 pm »
The only $2 paint here is at Wal-Mart and it's not worth even $1.........K-i'm just really low bucking it now-given a better budget, I would have powder coated( have some here who can match all gloss levels etc well).//but hey it's pretty fun to see how decent I may can make it look with spray bomb cans......did I say that I really love my 390?

firko

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2011, 12:28:12 pm »
VHT are the shitest paints I've ever used and anything from the $2 shop is better.
I'm with you on that one BigK. I'm painting three engines with Two Dollar shop satin black and it's turning out fine. I use el Cheapo flat black as primer, the satin seems to stick better with the flat black basecoat. I'm about to give the outer cases their final coat and I'll then bake them at 100 degrees C for 30 minutes and then leave them in the sun for a few days to cure. I've been doing it this way for years and haven't had any problems. VHT and PJ1 are the biggest rip offs out there in paintland. I reckon it's the very same stuff as the budget stuff but with the fancy price tag.

*Nice Husky by the way Pez.....and welcome back James.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 12:30:04 pm by firko »

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2011, 10:10:16 pm »
To test paint.
Put in oven while missus is away. ;D
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.