Author Topic: swapping vintage carburettors for modern ones, will it make more horsepower.  (Read 9919 times)

Offline PE MAN

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
will do think there is just the stock standard 16 on there now
1980 SUZUKI RM50
1980 SUZUKI PE400

monaro308

I agree with Lozza,i remember my old PE175 being a good allround revver,nothing amazing about the way it went through the rev range.
After having to run the TM34 flatslide in my RM175 project because of the lack room,i find it very crisp in bottom to upper midrange from what i remembered my old PE being like.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
The PE experts back in the day ditched the standard round slide mikunis for Delortos.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
I am interested to try my 38mm mikuni flatslide I can then get it really tuned up with my mate that has a dyno and do some plug chops and change the jetting and with the power jet I should be able to get it good all the way though the ranges. ;)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Once again, this forum amazes me with its members' denial of the last 30 years of technological development. Yes the old stuff works great if its adjusted correctly and not worn out - but the original question was about how an old motor would go with a newer carb and most of the time they will go better.

No doubt you all drive XE Falcons an VH Commodores because "they're just the same as the new ones"...  ::)

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Once again, this forum amazes me with its members' denial of the last 30 years of technological development. Yes the old stuff works great if its adjusted correctly and not worn out - but the original question was about how an old motor would go with a newer carb and most of the time they will go better.
No doubt you all drive XE Falcons an VH Commodores because "they're just the same as the new ones"...  ::)

I dont think its this forum in general Nathan ,just that some like a challenge and are keen to have a go..but in the end purchase that ellusive bit and still enjoy the game  8)
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Captain Bilko

Most people would get more benefit from shelling out for riding lessons than playing 'murder in the dark' with their engines....

rohan

PE Man, I just put a brand new 36mm Mikuni on my PE400 and before I lost my spark it ran great. good acceleration, easy to start etc. Only cost $220 delivered from the Aus Mikuni dealer in Townsville also. Couldn’t tell you if it ran any better as I don’t have the old carby.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Gee. It's amazing that the factories ever sold any bikes considering how much needs to be done to them to get them to (apparently) run properly. ::)

Man you have never owned a Harley  ;D

Anyway usually a flat slide well jetted will give you quite an improvement particularly if you started with a flogged out round slide with piss poor jetting. Jetting it right will make the difference of night and day to a 2 stroke regardlesss of carb.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
If I was building a new bike and was going to run NON BING I wouldn't even hesitate to buy a brand new Mikuni
For $200 bucks you get so much less hassle than trying to fix some old worn out stuff. Bings are a little different as there $600 plus for new ones.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
Most people would get more benefit from shelling out for riding lessons than playing 'murder in the dark' with their engines....
;D :)
No doubt the bike will probably make more hp with a new "modern" carb, BUT will you go faster?
When I was young I fell for the bullshit and changed the carb on my KTM. The motor went POP, so I changed it back and had no problems after that.
My point was that Gav WON on a bike that made 18? hp and he was racing guys on bikes making 48? hp. :o How did he do THAT?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 10:35:25 am by Mike52 »
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

firko

PE Man, I just put a brand new 36mm Mikuni on my PE400 and before I lost my spark it ran great. good acceleration, easy to start etc. Only cost $220 delivered from the Aus Mikuni dealer in Townsville also. Couldn’t tell you if it ran any better as I don’t have the old carby.
This is a classic example of why many of us shop overseas. I just bought a brand new 36mm Mikuni from Weekend Warrior for $150 landed. It's admirable to support local merchants but sometimes the much cheaper overseas prices make it a no brainer.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/36mm-Mikuni-Carb-AHRMA-Husky-Can-Am-Maico-Penton-CZ-/200569081741?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb2d94f8d

mx250

A beige Volvo 240 actually ;D - a classic. Much more reliable and easy to work on than the moderns, and a tenth the price .

firko

After twenty years of trying to build old bikes on a budget, one thing that I've learned is that 90% of your initial tuning problems and set up time can be saved if you start with a brand spanking new carby. A few years ago I was given a brand new 38mm Bing type 54 that had been removed at birth from a Monty of some sort. Just fitting the new carb to my Maico without any jet changes at all cleaned up the running from top to bottom. I'm just about to purchase a new 36mm Bing from the mob below so that I can experiment from scratch with both Bing and the new Mikuni (see previous post) on my piston port 360 Yamaha. It'd take me a lifetime using cocked up second hand stuff, even if they show minimal wear. I'd love to try a late flat slide on the early engine but I presume it'd take a lot of setting up for nothing as I couldn't legally use it anyway.
http://www.bingcarburetor.com/offroad/offroad.html
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 11:02:25 am by firko »

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
It may have been covered in this thread or some where else but what is the ruling on later model carbs or the GCR's for racing purposes are you allowed to fit a carb that was not available back in the day?