Author Topic: Another piece of Andy C history by rosco613  (Read 6304 times)

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Another piece of Andy C history by rosco613
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 11:15:25 pm »
Although it’s not VMX (Unless Pre-00 gets a guernsey ;D) this is belived to be Andy’s 98 ThumperNats bike, another month or so and she should be completed. Rosco613 was a good mate (i guess still is) of Andy's and has been helping the Caldecott family wrap up the bike side of his affairs post his death.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 11:59:18 pm by BAHNZY »
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 11:23:37 pm »
Andy’s 98 ThumperNats bike-do you know if the 98 bike will be at HBBB or around the tracks some place Barnzy..?

and if someone out there is a collector,hoarder or lover of Husaberg's there is also those bits up for sale..8)
cheers A
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Husaberg-Bulk-Parts-45000-Retail-Cheap-starting-5000-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cf4a1451fQQitemZ330521724191QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Best is in the West !!

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 11:29:37 pm »
My first Berg was a 98.....loved it....wish I had kept it....I spotted those parts Allycat...I wonder if the 5K is the reserve....argh, the mid to late 90's when Husabergs and Husquarna's ruled the tracks....there wasnt a big block jap shitter that could come near them.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 11:35:21 pm »
A,
I'd take it to HBBB but they have a Pre85 program, the same as Classic Dirt.
I'm not sure of the exact purpose that the bike will have, other than it will get ridden when there is a chance. The only thing i am chasing is a pic of the bike when it was raced so that i can reproduce the graphics. The bike is currently fitted with enduro graphics and plastics, i guess a result of the previous owner only being able to source enduro parts, a result of the rarity of the motocross parts.
Rod
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 11:47:29 pm »
argh, the mid to late 90's when Husabergs and Husquarna's ruled the tracks....there wasnt a big block jap shitter that could come near them.

Who could forget that lump of lard that Kawasaki built. That KLR650 that was close to 700cc and was a shocker, I think it was 145kg stripped out and fitted with Ohlins front & rear. If i remember correct even Mike Landman had a crack at running it before he wised up and bought a CR500.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 11:48:20 pm »
A,
I'd take it to HBBB but they have a Pre85 program, the same as Classic Dirt.
I'm not sure of the exact purpose that the bike will have,just cause you can!!  other than it will get ridden when there is a chance. The only thing i am chasing is a pic of the bike when it was raced so that i can reproduce the graphics.Ill have a internet/mag/book search for you !! The bike is currently fitted with enduro graphics and plastics, i guess a result of the previous owner only being able to source enduro parts, a result of the rarity of the motocross parts.something for you to cherish and behold-great memories  8)
Rod
cheers A

41 shite thats young now, for me  :) 
http://www.raptorsandrockets.com/mxsm.html

peoples avators also give pics away  :)  http://husaberg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11926&p=100775
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 12:14:34 am by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 10:32:01 pm »
Peter Melton raced one of those 650's in the thumper nats....said he thought he was going to die every time he rode it....it was that fragile Kawasaki Australia wouldnt let him practice on it.

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 10:44:48 pm »
One in the same bike. When Reggie finished with it Mike rode it for a race or two but it broke.
Mike then bought a CR500 and finished the series on that.
Wonder where the bike is now?
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 10:57:40 pm »
Hopefully someone burried it....what where they thinking......then there was the KLX250......how many people made fortunes turning that sucker into a motocrosser....geez, you could buy anything for one of them....and what was Yamaha thinking when people tried to turn the TTR250 into a motocrosser?....I'd rather ride Liz Hurley after Warnies been there ;D

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 11:42:09 pm »
They all gave it a crack back in the mid/late 90's.
Honda tuned the XR250/400/600/650 within an inch of their life, and did pretty well on them.
Suzuki diddn't give it a serious crack untill the DRZ came about. I watched Team Suzuki tear down a brand new RM250 2T and transplant all the suspension & wheels over to the DRZ. S.O.R.D was commissioned to make a pair of carbon fibre fuel tanks that allowed the RM seat and body work to be used. They punched them out to 440cc and were pretty good things.
Yamaha failed dismally with the TTR250 and had an odd Belgrada running around but nothing till the YZF400 hit our shores.
Kawasaki, the 650 has been discussed earlier and that poor old KLX250 was a temperamental thing. Its a pity that it bit the young New Zealander at Wonthaggi.
The euro's had it easy, KTM had the 400&620SX, which were to heavy but were pretty much bullet proof. The Husky TC's were pretty good but suffered the same fate as the KTM's, they were to heavy. The Berg was a different story though. With riders like Vaughn Styles, Andy Haydon & Andy Caldecott they did very well. VOR/Vertematti were in there as well but they were fragile at that level.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 01:58:15 am »
argh, the mid to late 90's when Husabergs and Husquarna's ruled the tracks....there wasnt a big block jap shitter that could come near them.

Who could forget that lump of lard that Kawasaki built. That KLR650 that was close to 700cc and was a shocker, I think it was 145kg stripped out and fitted with Ohlins front & rear. If i remember correct even Mike Landman had a crack at running it before he wised up and bought a CR500.

You sure you dont mean a KLX650? No one in their right mind would race a KLR650 in the thumper nats. I thought the KLX was pretty good really, better than the XR600

And here we have the KLR

Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 11:57:04 am »
Getting my X's and R's mixed up. Was certainly the X model.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 05:06:29 pm »

I just thought I would clear up a couple of things about that lump of lard that Mike Landman rode. I built that bike in 95 along with a couple of KLX250/300's ready for the 96 Thumper Nat's series which I sponsored a couple of riders in. We did the whole series and knew we would be behind the 8 ball because of not having a light weight purpose built four stroke motocrosser to go up against the euro bikes that we winning at the time. Anyway having a Kawa dealership at the time I had no choice but to try and modify a couple of trail models and give it a go if we were to be involved. The KLX650 was always going to be a porker at 122kg's wet but we were able to make very competitive power and that year it holeshot 4 or 5 of the main races, be it only for the first half lap or so but to the riders credit finished in the top 10 in more races than not that year. So if that constitutes a lump of lard then I guess we were guilty of building one.
It was either 97 or 98 that Brian Trollope from Kawasaki in Victoria rang me up and asked would I loan the bike to Mike for the Vets class that year. After getting mike up to talk about it and making sure he was under no illusions of the bikes ability I agreed and he did a number of meetings before he decided that he would never win a race on it although he said it never lacked in speed just handling with it's weight and suspension. Anyway we had a go.
As for the KLX250/300 we ran in the stand alone 300 class, my rider won most of the races and the series that year. He even won a round at conondale on the white steel tank model after someone wrote a test in ADB saying it was the worst trail bike on the market so I got one and ran it for one meeting before the genuine 300 arrived. Come time for the round write up in the next ADB surprise surprise no mention of the white one winning.
Here's a couple of pic's of the offending bikes at the Thumper Nats in 96.
Also from memory that modified TTR250 built by Cisco's for Yamaha Australia and ridden by one of my riders won the 300 class a year or so later.

Stan.

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 07:09:52 pm »
Stan,
Lump or Lard is more of an affectionate term for the KLX given that it was as heavy as a sherman tank and handled about the same. At the time Mike was working at a Kawasaki dealership where I also worked part time and we knew he was up against it given the experience we’d had with the standard bike.  Are you sure about the 122kg's wet? I remember speaking with on one the techs and we were discussing that it was better than 10 kg's heavier than an XR400 and they were around the 120kg's dry. I thought the KLX was up around the XR650 weight of 135/140 kgs. Do you know what happened to the bike?

From memory the Cisco TTR was a heavily worked TTR engine in either a YZ or a purpose built chassis with no semblance to the TTR being sold at the time. The XR 250/400 got much the same treatment as the TTR with CR style bodywork, seat & tank mounted to a XR chassis.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn