Author Topic: stencilling new logos/lettering onto seat covers  (Read 8964 times)

mainline

stencilling new logos/lettering onto seat covers
« on: January 26, 2008, 06:05:25 pm »
Has anyone had any experience spraying new lettering onto a re-upholstered seat? (a 79 YZ seat)

I see there are stencils for sale on ebay, but I'm wondering if you could just print the logo onto adhesive paper on a normal printer?

Either way, does someone know the dimensions of the Yamaha script for this model?

cheers

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
Re: stencilling new logos/lettering onto seat covers
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 06:22:04 pm »
I've tried it a few times and it never looks as good as oem, I wouldn't bother these days with such good repro covers out there...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-YZ125-79-80-81-Seat-Cover-W-logos-Vintage-MX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35581QQihZ021QQitemZ310016971483QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 06:49:16 pm »
thats what i thought. you can buy proper vinyl spray paint but by the time you stuff around with getting that, the spray equiment and getting the stencil made you can just get a new repro cover
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Oldrodder

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 07:01:37 pm »
If you want stencils I have a mate at ATC heaven (www.atcheaven.com) does mine for my trikes and for my CR he should also be able to do others.
We clean the area throughly with wax and grease remover, dry area and then apply stencil, remove backing paper, tape up balance of seat with paper.
I then do probably about 10 light coats of the vinyl colour you require for best results.
Good Luck  :) :)

Doc

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 09:01:40 pm »
I got some seat stencils from an Aussie seller on ebay..about $10 and pretty sure they'll do custom work if they don't have it. Worth an email and the stencils are the proper super sticky stencil adhesive film and not just a sticker that you spray and hope for the best..in my experience the later method near always fails  :'(

eBay username is stencilmaster

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 10:48:53 pm »
If you look at a Yamaha seat stencil you will see that the letter arent the same size. The after market copies are wrong. The letter Y should be 11mm but the right hand upright of the Y should only be 10mm, it gives the effect of being taller and slimmer. The letter 'A' is the same, and so on. The after market guys think that the letters are the same size and thats why they look fat.

As for stenciling your own letters on a vinyl seat I have done my seat and it has worked great. The stencil was a stick-on vinyl type sticker and I sprayed it with vinyl spray paint.

If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 02:19:07 pm »
I noticed these on Oz E-bay, have never seen them on US E-bay. Anyone know if Maico stencils are available.
  Yes, the repro covers are easy to get, but on a 76,the repro foams are slightly short, and on a 77AW, the supposed 77-80 pan, foam and cover are short. Fabricating/modifying the pan is not a problem, an auto trim shop can shape foam, and make cover to fit correct. The stencil would make it complete.

Thanks,  James
Life is suddenly very Monaro

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 04:42:01 pm »
Take a copy(photo) into a signwriters and get them to scan the image and they will be able to correct any faults(defects) and print it out on stencil vinyl (banner vinyl). You will have to get it done in negative form so you can spray the paint on.

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 04:59:20 pm »
Thank you.
James
Life is suddenly very Monaro

YSS

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 05:33:08 pm »
Mainly Maico has that stencil

mainline

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 10:06:47 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'd probably go for the repo seat cover if I hadn't already had the thing re-foamed (is that a term I can use in polite company?) and re-covered in plain vinyl.

As usual I go at things without enough research and the 32 seconds (on dialup) I spent searching the net for reproduction seat covers (with lettering) produced no results so off I went to the upholsterer.

Anyhow, i have a mate who is a signwriter and has access to stencil vinyl etc.

So my main problem now is finding the correct lettering sizing to give to him to print. Does anyone have a seat cover with lettering that they could measure for me?

Thanks again.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 02:10:54 pm »
Mainline,
I have an original yamaha seat cover that I keep for just that purpose, I can scan the lettering and fax it to you, so it remains original size.
DJ hit the nail on the head, but if I can give you a few tips on the process, always heat up the can of spray in a cup of hot water as it is quite thick when room temp. and when removing the stencil, don't allow paint to dry completly as some times it will bridge between the stencil and the seat cover and if completly dry it may tear the paint away from the seat cover.
Do a few light coats instead of less thick ones to prevent bleeding.
DON'T DO WHEN PISSED!!!!!!!! or you might end up with ahamaY
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 02:12:48 pm by evo550 »

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 04:02:13 pm »
If you look closely you can see the different sizes in the lettering.

mainline

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 04:24:42 pm »
Thanks again guys,

Evo, I don't have access to a fax but if you're able to scan and email it to me, I can make sure that when I print it I adjust the dimensions to original. Thanks it's very much appreciated.

my email is [email protected]

DJRacing, thanks mate, I've saved a copy of that pic and pass it onto my mate the sign writer. I really appreciate your effort.

BTW, if anyone needs some extra stencils done, let me know and I'll run it by him.

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 06:36:18 pm »
I have also used Stencilmaster to get stencils made for my Husky seat.  Very pleased with the quality.  Used vinyl spraycan paint from Mitre 10 but make sure you do really light coats other wise the letters are raised quite high.  I used 3 coats and it was too much.  1 coat  would probably have been fine.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE