Author Topic: Queensland floods  (Read 2083 times)

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
Queensland floods
« on: January 20, 2011, 10:27:06 am »
Having come back from working up in the flood affected areas of SE Qld as part of a NSW USAR team I have had the misfortune to see first hand how these floods have changed not only peoples' lives for ever, but how whole communities have been changed for ever !!!

While most of us on this forum are far from millionaires, and over time we may be slugged with a govt imposed tax or levy to pay for the flood damage these people need help right now from charitable organisations. Instead of buying a slab for the week or some other indulgence consider giving the money to someone who can really use it via a respected charity such as the Salvation Army so long as it is specifically targeting the floods. We saw them at work in the field and they are the best !

I heard Anna Bligh being interviewed on the radio this morning while I was doing a workout and she emphasised that ALL money donated to the Queensland Premiers Fund would go straight to flood victims with administration costs being borne by the Premiers Dept. (I hope that stands scrutiny?)

Do your homework if you must but GIVE SOMETHING !!!

This may give you some idea of what a has happened in Brissy on a grand scale and as we know the towns up in the Lockyer Valley were smashed !!!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/infographics/qld-floods/beforeafter.htm

Dave Mac  :(
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline T250K

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Queensland floods
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 09:56:16 pm »
I'll second that Dave.     There's going to be a monumental amount of restitution required, with financial and other support before most of these people are up and running again.     Neighbours over here who were bitching about how dry it is in W.A. have gone very quiet these last few weeks.

We just come back from town and have made a donation through Bendigo Bank.     Come on Guys, dig deep, and be thankful you're some of the lucky ones.  ;)

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 10:11:36 pm »
Our local council, Bathurst, has organised a collection of white-goods and kitchen appliances , they already have a truckload of stuff, 90 electric jugs , 80 toasters, 30 irons , some fridges , mostly new,freezers etc and the Bathurst businesses are challenging each other to meet or better their donations.
It has only taken 24 hours for people to donate all this stuff since the idea was mooted
Burkes Transport has donated the cartage of these goods to Toowoomba , where the local council will organise distribution.
The events in Qld have moved us all and its wonderfull to see all the volunteers and help that has been offered.
I echo Dave and say just DO something , no matter how small.
Foss

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 11:50:58 am »
From 24th till 30th our  board has decided  to give 50% of all our takings to the Salvation Army appeal, lets all get together and help . Lets see how many other suspension companies  match  up  and do the same ;)

Good on ya Walter, very generous gesture.

Regards Stan.