Author Topic: '84 KX500  (Read 31743 times)

maicoman

Re: '84 KX500
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2011, 11:48:33 AM »
You are right Stevo the cases are marked KX500A1. Can't remember the number but it was an early one. Not a bad score for $90. I'm tracking down the rest of the bike at the moment.

Offline Stevo17

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2011, 01:51:13 PM »
Hey Brooksie, thats a good score for $90.  I have an 83 bottom end that I am going to offload shortly - no electrics or clutch tho.

maicoman

« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2011, 08:09:07 PM »
Sounds good, let me know when you are I would be interested. Cheers.

ted

« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2011, 08:28:59 PM »
I have a shitload of spares for a `83 A-1 if you are interested....shock and reservoir, swingarm, electrics,levers, cables, clutch basket, new plastics

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2011, 09:22:26 PM »
I have a shitload of spares for a `83 A-1 if you are interested....shock and reservoir, swingarm, electrics,levers, cables, clutch basket, new plastics
ted thats really good off you to offer those parts to the ********  who gave you the grief
about your kx 500  you have just gone up a notch in my book

ted

« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2011, 11:51:50 PM »
Oh well Paul..It`s like this. Old mate Brooksie has just spent $ 90.00 on some very pristine parts ( i am sure you would agree ) and i also have some pristine parts so i thought i would offer them to him.

I guess thats why my bikes all cost 5 figures to build

maicoman

« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2011, 08:31:17 AM »
Hey Ted mighty fine of you and as I've pointed out many times on this forum and Paul knows what I'm talking about because he personally attacked me about it you don't need to spend 5 figure sums of money to get a nice bike. Paul your Maico is beautiful but how much of the rebuild did you do yourself???
  I am a mechanic by trade and also have had some engineering and painting experience so I do everything in my rebuilds. I wheel and deal to fund my bikes and with a family it's hard to find money to spend on all my toys, but some guys have the luxury to afford all the nice gear for their bikes. Well good for them! If you want to spent 5 figure sums of money on rebuilds that's fine but don't expect to get it back, otherwise pick the correct bike before you decide to do a resto.

Paul you have just gone down another notch in my book WANKER!

ted

« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2011, 12:52:09 PM »

SOLD

Brooksie... I didn`t expect to get my money back on any of the bikes i`ve restored. If i did i would have advertised my 465 for 20 K, my 125 for 15 K and the KX 11 K.

Thats fine if you wanna wheel and deal and use second hand parts to build your bikes because of financial constraints but don`t have a go at Paul or Myself because we choose to use new ( OME ) parts ( price them up one day and you will be horrified.. eg: genuine 125 H radiator hose $ 525.00 ) and build them better than they were when they came off the showroom floor.

I am getting a trailer built that is also 5 figures....Crazy...maybe, but do i give a toss...Hardly

Good luck with your resto, and if you need to see one in the flesh you can come look at mine...you don`t live far away

Regards

Ted Brack

Offline zorroz

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2011, 02:17:43 PM »
( price them up one day and you will be horrified.. eg: genuine 125 H radiator hose $ 525.00 ) and build them better than they were when they came off the showroom floor.Ted Brack

Not these hoses I hope?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-YZ125H-NOS-WATER-HOSES-YZ125-4V2-1981-AHRMA-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230e38a0b7QQitemZ150562447543QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

maicoman

« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2011, 02:38:12 PM »

SOLD

Brooksie... I didn`t expect to get my money back on any of the bikes i`ve restored. If i did i would have advertised my 465 for 20 K, my 125 for 15 K and the KX 11 K.

Thats fine if you wanna wheel and deal and use second hand parts to build your bikes because of financial constraints but don`t have a go at Paul or Myself because we choose to use new ( OME ) parts ( price them up one day and you will be horrified.. eg: genuine 125 H radiator hose $ 525.00 ) and build them better than they were when they came off the showroom floor.

I am getting a trailer built that is also 5 figures....Crazy...maybe, but do i give a toss...Hardly

Good luck with your resto, and if you need to see one in the flesh you can come look at mine...you don`t live far away

Regards

Ted Brack

Hey Ted i'm all for using Nos parts and I do quite regularly. I don't need to price anything I've seen what genuine stuff is like. I have been lucky enough to pick up alot of stuff for my IT's at very good prices. I have a life long friend that works for Yamaha so parts are easily attained. I'll have a go at Paul any bloody time I like! he has been on my case since I joined this forum. Why because he is a know it all when it comes to all things 2 wheels. He SHUNNED my ability to resto bikes in a previous post when I mentioned restoring my KX on a budget and started attacking me personally. WTF who is he!

Do you guys not do you research! the parts are out there.... I've been going to swap meets since I was 5 years old with my old man and the amount of stuff I have found over the years is a joke. Here's an example. I was at Gosford swapmeet a few years back and saw a familiar Yammy wheel off an IT200. It has a brand new Nos rim, hub z-spokes the whole works. Asked the guy how much $20, didn't know what it was off.
Done deal. Now that part is going in my current rebuild/rider. So now I've just saved myself a few hundred bucks straight away in not having to get a wheel made up. So please go ahead and spent 20K or 15K on your resto Ted but I'll sleep easy at night knowing that my bike will look just as good even if it's not all Nos for 1/4 of the price and it gets used and is not some glorified trophy.

Thanks Brooksie

ted

« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2011, 06:06:51 PM »
Glorified Trophy huh....I recall " I would pay your entry fee to Heavens first round" ...WHICH YOU DECLINED ... I will ride the KX as i did on Retro`s last outiong

So tell me Einstein...Do you backyard restorers count your travel time ( going to swapmeets ) and labour into your final costings. I sure as hell do. So it`s a hobby then. That justifys you upping everybody else that does.

Listen fella...I do sleep very well....but then again i am not a mechanic with a family ( all grown up )  And i don`t want to buy into any arguments about mechanics and family please...this guy referred that i worry about what i spend and maybe i don`t get enough sleep..( come to Buladelah and listen to me snore...hehe )

And my KX is advertised for $ 9K...so a quarter of that is $ 2,250.00... Good Luck

Brooksie..I am trying to be nice...don`t be such a prick

mainline

« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2011, 06:11:11 PM »
( come to Buladelah and listen to me snore...hehe )

You won't have to go to Buladelah to hear him snore, anywhere within a 100k radius should be enough.

ted

« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2011, 06:48:16 PM »
Forkin Chippies....Don`t you luv `em

ted

« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2011, 07:19:21 PM »
( price them up one day and you will be horrified.. eg: genuine 125 H radiator hose $ 525.00 ) and build them better than they were when they came off the showroom floor.Ted Brack

Not these hoses I hope?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-YZ125H-NOS-WATER-HOSES-YZ125-4V2-1981-AHRMA-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230e38a0b7QQitemZ150562447543QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

No not them...a couple of years ago i got On Two Wheels to price a hose up...NLA...but ( Yamaha Japan ) will make to order...$ 525.00

maicoman

« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2011, 08:15:10 PM »
Glorified Trophy huh....I recall " I would pay your entry fee to Heavens first round" ...WHICH YOU DECLINED ... I will ride the KX as i did on Retro`s last outiong

So tell me Einstein...Do you backyard restorers count your travel time ( going to swapmeets ) and labour into your final costings. I sure as hell do. So it`s a hobby then. That justifys you upping everybody else that does.

Listen fella...I do sleep very well....but then again i am not a mechanic with a family ( all grown up )  And i don`t want to buy into any arguments about mechanics and family please...this guy referred that i worry about what i spend and maybe i don`t get enough sleep..( come to Buladelah and listen to me snore...hehe )

And my KX is advertised for $ 9K...so a quarter of that is $ 2,250.00... Good Luck

Brooksie..I am trying to be nice...don`t be such a prick

Ted I was referring to the $20K YZ 465 not the KX. If they were worth that much then why don't they sell for that much. There is one for sale now in NZ, I think it's going for $12K and is a Nos bike (restoration apparently) but you know what the moment you ride it it's worth about half that, why because it is them classed as USED. So what good is it apart from a glorified trophy.

Secondly who in their right mind would spent $15K on a piss ant 125. A bike that was a nothing bike in its day and will never be worth $15K for aslong as my arse points to the ground. I have a KX125A6, it's 95% complete paid $60 for it bought a Nos seat $50, Nos head $69 and i could probably restore it for under $2K. Would I spend $15K on it no way why? because it's a 125, because they were a heap of shit. But I will restore it because it's rare.

I enjoy my backyard restos just like most other decent Ozzie blokes just trying to make a living and you obviously have more money than me to burn, so I don't count the travel to swapmeets or labour as I've previously mentioned I do it because i love bikes. I spend most nights when everyone is asleep fixing mine or other peoples bikes. There a few guys that can vouch for that, (polishing RM plastics all night...Adam N).I like to work in a BUDGET so things don't blow out. I go to the swapmeets as a family day out with my dad who i don't see often to talk all kinds of shit and he gets to see his grandkids. If I find something then it's a bonus.
  I am not running a business, but it seems you are otherwise you wouldn't be so hung up on your prices. Yes I declined Bulledelah why because of the pompus arse's that attend events like this. I've been to Heaven events and the welcome I got was cold at best. People snobbed me off why because I didn't have a fancy bike or didn't have the BMW X5 with the enclosed trailer. I made up my mind there and then that I was not wanted.
   Ted I'm not a mechanic anymore just to clear that up. But if I'm a PRICK then glad to be of service ;D ;D ;D