Author Topic: Any new pre 70 projects happening  (Read 5669 times)

SAABCOMBI

Any new pre 70 projects happening
« on: January 13, 2011, 07:55:22 pm »
Hi just making conversation, are their any new pre 70 pojects happening around the country.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Any new pre 70 projects happening
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 09:06:51 pm »
Not a new project, but my DT1 will re-appear in 2011 with Betor forks and a KX125 ignition.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 09:24:10 pm »
Dad and I are restoring the cz360 twin pipe. Had some issues with the later model rod touching the cases so they are being milled out atm. Then I can put the bottom end together which then in turn I can get the abortion of a head repaired. As the photo's I put in the cz thread show, Dad has been painting everything up as well. Should be right for cd8.

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 09:42:22 pm »
Brad, l raced my 67 montesa in south australia the track was ACUSA Park, the class was pre 70, it was a 5 lapper, l ran second from start to finish behind Bob Vomard and his mount was a 360 twin port CZ, my monty was a quick 4 speeder, just needed another gear. The cz 360 drives out of the corner with quick excelliration. You should like that bike.
Nathan, with the work and modification on your Dt1, do you feel that it will be a lot better bike, are you using the box wingarm as standard.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 10:09:55 pm »
Still working on the Sprite..getting a rebore done --worn out--. :P ,while working to pay for Starmaker engine.
Looking at Betors from Spain or NJB ??
Remaking seat-going for the trials looking seat.
Coming along at a nice pace.  ;D
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 10:33:38 pm »
Ongoing development of the Pursang. Forks rechromed, mikuni with modified inlet, improved lighter and easier to service airbox. Cheers Jerry PS Just picked up a scruffy MK 6 that my wife says I can start on when I finish the extension!

montynut

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 10:33:58 pm »
Out of those two brands I'd go go with NJB no contest. I have several sets of their shocks on my twin shock trials bikes and quality is outstanding. while Betors seem to blow seals with regular monotony.

I believe that NJB grew out of the remains of the Girling motorcycle shock remains but not positive.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:35:59 pm by montynut »

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 10:42:55 pm »
have any of you fellows checked out john bull rock shocks. worth a look.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 11:05:38 pm »

looks good, how much dealing have you had with them ??
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 11:08:40 pm »
still working on the DT1 with te frame work, going tomorrow to get sandblastd ready to pain.  rest of the gear is now ready to bolt up when its back.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 04:53:02 am »
I've only heard good things about rock shocks, a lot of guys swear by them in the Uk. They are custom built from what I understand

http://www.rockshocks.co.uk/

clutchslip

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 05:12:23 am »
I'll second what Tony27 says, in fact, he's one of the few guys in the vintage aftermarket scene in the UK that is happy to use email, and always responds quickly and efficiently - with great follow-up support after purchase to make sure everything is working right and that you are satisfied...

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 07:35:17 am »
vmx 247, l have spoken on the phone to John Bull he is a very nice fellow, l bought my alloy dot tank off him, it was the same tank as the ones he uses on his dots, he builds new dots and sells them, my tank at the time was $740 landed to my front door.

firko

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 09:59:49 am »
The Cheney has started its transformation from magazine centrefold girl to a working member of the staff ;).
The Ceriani front suspension has undergone some upgrades, the Rickman front brake has been fitted with new soft Raybestos linings and the rear Arnacos will be replaced by either YSS or Ohlins. The engine will be sent off to The Institute de Two Stroke sometime in the next fortnight for Lozza to do the ports and to factor in a new Lozzatronic ignition. A fibreglass B44 BSA replica tank is being prepped to be painted silver as I couldn't handle the unobtainable Cheney tank getting damaged while being raced. A new swingarm may also be made as I'm uneasy with the one fitted at the moment due to it being bent when it lived in a friends Cheney Ducati. I'm not sure if it's been weakend during the straightening process.

The bike will be ridden in the big meetings such as both MX and DT Nats by Tony Clarke from Bendigo whom, as most Victorians will know is a fairly decent racer. I'd do the job myself bar for being too old, too injury ridden, too fat and too slow. I thoroughly enjoy the 'owner/entrant' role these days. I also own two extremely competitive pre '70 class bikes, my 350 squarie Maico and the 'DT1 from Hell' but I have a sneaking suspicion that this bike will have the bottle to match or even outshine both of those bikes.
Time will tell. ;D

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 10:10:53 am »
pre 70 Dt1 engine, are these engine and frames where built from 1968 to ??????, So if a 70 or 7,72,73 model can be used in pre 70 class as long as it has a square wingarm fitted, the bike is eligible am l right or wrong. The flow on model rule should apply to this model.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 10:21:53 am by DAVID#46 »