Author Topic: 1973 Yamaha MX360  (Read 2803 times)

firko

1973 Yamaha MX360
« on: January 13, 2011, 06:34:48 pm »
This bike was imported from the USA along with my Hindall DT1. I bought the bike from a bloke via Marks Swapmeet as a fixer-upper to tidy up and resell. Well, I've had a chance to have a quick look at the bike and it's a pretty decent core bike, much nicer than I'd anticipated. It appears to have been raced in recent times and has undergone a rattle can resto that doesn't look too bad in photos or from 10ft away.
The wheels are in good nick with almost all of the spokes being rust free, the tyres are almost new Trackmasters. The sprockets are new and the chain is AOK. The forks are in perfect condition and are fitted with Goki air caps The handlebars are straight and there's a Swedish Gunnar Gasser fitted. The shocks are Mullholland and appear to be working just fine. The tank is straight, the fenders and side panels are good and supple with no obvious splits or cracks and the seat base and upholstery are in good condition. The pipe is a stocker and appears to be ding free-there's no muffler fitted.
That's the good stuff.....the bad stuff is that the engine appears to have very little compression and I'd factor in the motor needing a complete rebuild. The carby is in a box that accompanied the bike, along with half a dozen ignitions and a spare set of wheels. I want to keep the ignitions and the spare wheels but the bike is for sale. I had intended to sell it as a goer but due to time and space constraints I'd now prefer to sell the bike as is. The plans I had to make a quid on the bike are now gone. I just want to clear it for what it owes me....around $1500. Potential buyers are welcome to give it as good an inspection as they're capable of. If it doesn't sell here, I may keep it and restore it back to original nick a year or so down the road....it's certainly a good enough starter for such a project.

Offline SimonC

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: 1973 Yamaha MX360
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 02:51:49 pm »
pm sent

firko

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 11:10:50 pm »
SOLD! Pending payment.

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 01:01:14 pm »
Good sale Firko...you'll be given DA a run for his money soon...Oh no..another "keeper" sold... ;D ;D

firko

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 03:38:54 pm »
Good sale Firko...you'll be given DA a run for his money soon...Oh no..another "keeper" sold... 
Jeez Brian, don't wish that on me ::). Dave's in a class of his own in that department. I never intended to keep the MX360, it was always going to be the ''seller'' to finance the ''keeper"...the Hindall DT1.
For the record, it's only the second bike I've sold since I got rid of a few Maicos and my Champion Honda in '99 and I've still got bikes I've owned for 20 years plus including one I've owned for 40+ years. So there ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 03:40:49 pm by firko »

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 04:36:09 pm »
Mark, maybe that's a subject for another topic.."Keepers"....would be hard to beat the old man..1960 250 Maico...still got the receipt for some spares he bought at the same time as the bike.... Would be even better if he would do some work on it and get it going....  :)

firko

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 04:43:35 pm »
The mx360's now definitely sold and will leave for Perth tomorrow to add to the pre '75 gene pool in WA.
I was just thinking about the journey this bike is enjoying. It began in San Diego and was then shipped to a friends home in Bakersfield. From there it was shipped to Long Beach, then the sea journey to Melbourne. It was then taken to Sunbury where it was then picked up by Caps 999 and taken to GMCs high tech engineering facility in Broadford where it was picked up by Nathan and taken to his house in Yass. I then picked it up and transported it to Casa del Firko in sunny Whalan. Tomorrow the bike will be picked up and taken to Phillip Island where it will be transferred to another van and shipped to its final destination in Perth. That's quite a journey to find a new home so I hope Simon enjoys it.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 04:47:03 pm »
mmmmm..............now where was that Sprite from again ?
take me forever  :P  ;D
Best is in the West !!