Author Topic: RM250A HELP NEEDED  (Read 2551 times)

Offline PRITCH39

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
RM250A HELP NEEDED
« on: January 04, 2011, 07:04:03 pm »
Hi all,

I have just done a freshen up on my RM250A. The bike was running very strong but was a bit down on compression so I fitted new set of rings and Boyesen reeds new gaskets etc. I went to ride it but the bike now continually floods and fowels plugs. Could there be a problem with the reeds? when I managed to get it to keep running it is extremely under powered and slow and seems to get hot.

Any ideas guys this is shitting me

Brian
I LOVE BIG CC 2 STROKES YEEHAA!!!!!

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: RM250A HELP NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 08:09:37 pm »
Have you got a gutfull of fuel?...needle leaking?...try and free rev it stationary untill it gets crisp.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 08:13:41 pm »
Brian ....Give the carb a complete strip down using compressed air blowing thru all bleed holes.

Check float level hieght etc      were the reeds sitting flat when tighted up ( with no gaps ) if not rotate thru 180 degrees

Hope this may help.

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 10:00:59 pm »
Sounds like the reeds. They are prone to crack etc.Check their gap/condition etc.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 03:03:25 pm »
You didn't take the piston off the rod by any chance.
formerly Marc.com

DR

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 03:12:48 pm »
 :-\ and put it back on facing the wrong way..arrow on crown points to exhaust, if no arrow the ring locating pins should be toward the inlet side (facing rear).

Offline PRITCH39

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 07:53:19 pm »
New piston, fairly sure it is on the right way but will double check and change back to standard reeds while im at it.

Thanks
Brian

TM BILL

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 07:58:58 pm »
Enlighten me as to how putting the piston in backwards would cause the described symptoms  ??? on this model all i could see happening is thr rings picking up in a port  ???

Offline PRITCH39

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 09:10:50 pm »
How well are reeds supposed to seal? I just pulled the barrel off and the piston is right. filled reed void with water and it just pisses out. Turned the reeds over to try and achieve a better seal with no improvement, so I put the standard reeds back in filled with water and SURPRISE no leaks. Could this be my problem? I pulled the carb apart and found no problems there. Am I doing something wrong with the new Boyesen reeds? I will put the bike back together when the base gasket arrives and let you know how it goes.

Brian

DR

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 09:36:12 pm »
There is an acceptable tolerance (gap) of 0.20mm for the reed petals in regards to an air gap clearance from the base/seat to the petal. The water test may not be an accurate indicator. I'd try the stock petals, process of elimination with what was changed ;)

Bill, with the piston around the wrong way I was thinking of rings (ring) jammed in the groove on the exhaust side not sealing making the engine struggle and non responsive. Just a stab..

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 11:27:26 pm »
Am I doing something wrong with the new Boyesen reeds? I will put the bike back together when the base gasket arrives and let you know how it goes.
Brian

Did you assemble with the stock reed stops or upside down.
formerly Marc.com

Offline PRITCH39

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 02:24:33 pm »
I used stock reed stops. I fitted reeds in the following order.

1*large reed
2*small reed
3*reed stop

Brian

Offline PRITCH39

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 09:28:26 pm »
Hi all,

I finally got it sorted, the problem was the stator. The bloke who rewound it for me said he hears the same story all the time, bike is running well, owner freshens up top end/full rebuild and bike wont go anymore. Apparantley the new compression puts out the flame/spark resulting in anything from very poor performance and flooding symptoms to no spark at all. $160.00 got my stator rewound, all new wiring and plugs and a new coil. The bike starts first kick and goes better than it ever has as long as i have ownd it.