Author Topic: Spray on chrome takes on a new concept  (Read 2461 times)

DR

Spray on chrome takes on a new concept
« on: January 02, 2011, 07:44:12 am »
unlike most, this actually looks the goods ;)

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/spray-on-chrome/1232328/

the life span may not be great for dirtbikes used regularly but there's bound to be some use for garage queens and people like me who simply like to stuff around ;D

SAABCOMBI

Re: Spray on chrome takes on a new concept
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 08:50:31 am »
That is brilliant, l wonder if it would work well on fork tubes.

DR

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 04:37:53 pm »
David in nutshell..no ::) like deckchairs on a submarine, it all looks great on the surface but.... :D

I was thinking things like chain guards, blinker bodies, instrument cases, headlight rims, heat shields stuff that doesn't normally suffer much scuffing or abuse.

firko

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 05:03:09 pm »
It might be the answer to restoring tarnished nickel frames. Worth a shot I'd reckon.

TooFastTim

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 05:04:19 pm »
I think he was winding you (us) up Doc.

Does beg the question though, how have the environmental laws affected hard-chroming?

TooFastTim

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 05:06:00 pm »
It might be the answer to restoring tarnished nickel frames. Worth a shot I'd reckon.

I reckon I would look like crap with 10 mins Firko. It's a process designed for silvering mirrors not having a Sidi "Joel Robert" boot rubbing against it for 10 mins.

firko

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 05:11:51 pm »
Maybe Tim :-\. Is it the same process involved in the ''chrome look" you see on the V8 race cars and some of the trick helmets you see some of the hot shots wearing? if it's the same painting process, it should last just as long as twin pack paint with a hardened clear coat over the top of the 'chrome'.

TooFastTim

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 05:14:39 pm »
Yeah and those crash hats look like shit after one "off". Great if you're sponsored by Troy Lee.

But it's certainly worth a bash. I reckon there's '74 Husky tank out there just asking for it 8)

mx250

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 05:32:04 pm »
Does beg the question though, how have the environmental laws affected hard-chroming?
Chrome is a heavy metal and they have to be careful before during and especially after (with the waste).

But I think Leno might be over playing his hand about Chroming been expensive and hard to get. I can think of at least three places in Sydney where I can get hard chroming done and another three for general chroming - all at reasonable cost. I don't think Oz enviro rules are that much slacker than the US or Cal.

The spraying of the frame would be an interesting application  8).

oldfart

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 05:43:35 pm »
Does he not mention , spraying a clear over to make it last longer, and recommends bumper bars should still be chrome plated.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 05:53:00 pm »
None of that shit lasts Mark as they cant put any UV treatments in the product....most of it has a lifespan of a couple of months and if the sun gets on it....gonskies....888 racing with the V8 Supercars spend a couple of hundred thou a year on that shit but thats the main sponsers colors so they fork the bill. It's a very unstable product. If it could be done ALL the manufacturers would be using it but when you've got warranties involved it aint gonna happen.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline RED ALERT

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 06:06:22 pm »
http://dna-paints.com/specialpaints/virtualchrome/prodinfo.htm
http://dna-paints.com/specialpaints/chromazone/prodinfo.htm
http://www.alsacorp.com/index.htm

These companys Both do a spray chrome system as well as other products called MirraChrome and Virtual Chrome.
The type shown on the Leno show use a sytem which last time I checked cost around $6000 to set up but I think
they might be offering a more 'backyard' version for less.

I have used Alsa Mirra chrome on a few helmets with mixed results. It looks awesome when you put the chrome paint
on but loses a bit of the brightness when you shoot the clear over the top. If the price comes down on the other systems
I'd be interested in maybe giving it a go as the results look much better. No, it wont do the job of the real thing on fork tubes.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 12:35:25 am »
Worth getting into, just think of the killing you'll make on Hodaka tanks alone. :D

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 07:56:34 pm »
That is brilliant, l wonder if it would work well on fork tubes.

For that application you would need a can of Spray on Hard Chrome
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

DR

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 10:49:32 pm »
Dunno about anyone else but I used to get Castrol Tool kit in a can. Worked well but you could never tell if it was going to be SAE or metric ::)