Author Topic: So what boots are we wearin Boys?  (Read 12330 times)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: So what boots are we wearin Boys?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 05:53:10 pm »
Hey do any of you blokes have any kitchen or postal scales, that you could use to post up here what is the weight of your boots?

« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 06:24:23 pm by MICK-DE »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 06:14:23 pm »
AS tech 6's - was all that I could afford as opposed to T8's and 10's but better than the Fox trackers etc.  I have had these boots over 6 years now and have only had to replace one toe cap - parts easily bought through Dennis Kirk.  Replaceable sole also.  I hit them with the high pressure cleaner when I wash the bike - then a liberal spray with WD40 and put them away till next time - still look really good also.  My only problem is that they don't have booties and the internal "fit" is tight first thing of a morning but then loosens up pretty quickly - but doesn't stay that way - gotta go through loosening them up each time.  Would have another pair of Alpine Star's - if funds permitted.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 07:39:53 pm »
CANT BEAT THE RED BAND KIWI GUM BOOTS  ;D SOFT UNDER FOOT AND THE SHEEP LUV THEM TO ::)
AND CHEAP AS CHIPS :D

TM BILL

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 07:49:34 pm »
I finally gave up on my original Full Bore(Sidi) boots - too stiff after 35 years.  Tried lots, the only ones which were comfortable, and fit my wide feet were $199 Answer boots - also I could get them in plain black like the traditional ones from the 60/70s.  The flashy coloured ones don't seem to suit VMX as I see it.
Mike

I agree to a point but the flashy modern ones offer a lot more protection  :) Iv'e been unfortunate enough to have broken both lower legs and both times wearing cheaper boots  ??? Maybe im just a soft cock but these days i will do all i can to avoid more broken legs even if i dont look period  ;D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 08:05:13 pm by TM BILL »

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 07:57:47 pm »
I brought some alpines stars tec 10 boots two years back took a bit to get used to a bit ridged to walk in ,than my old 15 year old
alpine stars boots, but the newer model ones have better protection i have to say...

Offline wmc83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 08:05:07 pm »
Tech 7s they have good protection but there a bit stiff for my liking I have problems finding the brake lever at times I liked my old AXOs better.

gilletty

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 08:23:41 pm »
I think there is a reason most pro's wear Alpine stars. Surely they don't sponsor that many guys. My son and I wear them. I got him some fly boots for junior in the early days. Never again. I have used Sidi flex in the past, but too many screws and moving parts that wear out.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 08:44:13 pm »
Bought a set of ANSWER Mode boots, they are rigid, heavy, and tight in the toes. Worse, the buckles are secured by clear plastic cam locks, which are easily smashed yet difficult to source, as are the screwed-on buckle bases.

Not worth consideration.      ::)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 10:17:38 pm »
alpinestar tech 8
follow me to first turn

Offline RED ALERT

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 10:39:20 pm »
Gaerne SG12's are the most comfortable and best quality I've ever worn. I love A-stars tech8's too but couldn't seem to get tech10's to feel right on my feet. Sometimes I think a light, more VMX appropriate boot would be cool but don't think I'll ever give up the protection the new stuff offers.

Offline RM Ted

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 11:37:12 pm »
I got Alpinestars Tech 3 boots from locomx in the US. Good prices
1978 rm 125 x 3
1981 rm 125
1987 rm 125

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2010, 12:55:51 am »
Boy child:
Tech 10's Alpine Stars
lasted whole year of MX
Plastics bits pulling off
Sole good..

The vmx bloke in the house:
cheap stuff 
gotta spend some money  ;D
Best is in the West !!

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2010, 07:09:51 am »
alpine star kenny roberts flat track/speedway boot.mix of speedway left flat sole and mx boot.bought them nos out of the uk great boot

mainline

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2010, 09:38:45 am »
I take it no one has tried these yet?

Probably still frightened off by the memory of Scott plastic boots?

http://www.jettboots.com/index

firko

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2010, 10:21:19 am »
I've got an old pair of white Oneal boots I've had for about 20 years, I can't remember what model they are but they were considered unbearably cool back in 1999 and they're still in surprisingly good nick. Because of peer pressure I got a pair of red/yellow Alpine Star Tec 8's a few years ago to match my red Maico riding pants and they've also survived the years in good usable nick but despite much less use they're showing the wear more than the Oneals. Last year I bought a pair of grey Fly boots at the Stony Creek Motorcycles fire auction for no other reason than nobody was bidding on them and they were my size (11). I got 'em for $80....a great deal I thought. The quality appears to be excellent with plenty of ankle support and good, double and triple stitching. I've only worn them once but unfortunately I doubt it'll be wearing them any time soon because of my bad ankle. Due to a long term injury my right ankle is in pretty poor condition and I'm unable to straighten it enough to get a stiff new boot on and off without a lot of pain. It took three people half an hour and a lot of pain to get my boot off at HBBB so the Fly's have been relegated to the closet and the Oneals will be modified with a stanley knife to enable easy boot fitting and removal. I can't bring myself to cut the Alpines or the new Flys yet. This is the main reason (along with my crap knee) that I rarely ride these days. :(
Does anyone know of a boot that can be fitted without me having to straighten my foot?