Author Topic: What year is it and can I get bits for it?  (Read 1713 times)

Captain Bilko

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: What year is it and can I get bits for it?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 08:18:33 am »
I think that you'll find it's a bitsa. The frame and plastics are post 1983 but the gold swing arm and wheels are 1983.
The other give away is the chain adjusters on the swing arm and the engine has that rediculous water pump outlet commom to the 83 and the carb is a round slide, also 1983.
I'm taking a wild guess that someone has gone to get a rear guard for there 1983 125 and found how hard and expensive thay are and converted it to the later bodywork.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 08:21:54 am »
Pretty sure its an 83 model with 84 model side plates & aftermarket rear guard. (Semi-edit because Bahnsy posted while I was typing: Tank & rad shroud are 83).

In my experience, older Kawi parts are about 100 times harder to get than Yamaha, Honda or Montesa parts of the same age. The motors didn't change a whole lot year-to-year so with some time & effort you'll often be able to find something that works and is available, but plastics are a consistant PITA (unless Nightmare Racing is doing repros of the bits you need).

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Captain Bilko

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 08:25:24 am »
As I'm used to having to carve most of the parts for the bikes I own out of stone it shouldn't be any worse. I had a quick look at Nightmare and they seem to have the plastics. Pipes dont seem to be a big problem either.
Thanks guys...... :)

montynut

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 09:06:14 am »
Ross does the phrase Yamaha YZ465 mean anything to you ??? :P  The memory seems to have dimmed  ;D

Maybe you'll be looking to unload a VR250 to fund this project  8) (sell it to me, sell it to me) which means that the KX is a good idea  ;D

Captain Bilko

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 11:57:54 am »
Ross does the phrase Yamaha YZ465 mean anything to you ??? :P  The memory seems to have dimmed  ;D

Thanks for reminding me Greg. I was all ready to give you a call and offer up the VR however your down to earth good sense has got through and I'm aborting the idea.
Thanks once again ol' mate! ;)

I rang the guy and it does seem to be a good buy however it's breaking two of my golden rules.
a. Never have two projects on the go at once and
b. It's green  :)