Author Topic: The Passing of TK (Tony Kirby)  (Read 7732 times)

Offline crossedup2

• B-Grade
  • Never enough shed time.....
    • View Profile
The Passing of TK (Tony Kirby)
« on: December 18, 2010, 01:17:55 pm »
Tony Kirby passed away last night after a hard fight with motor neuron disease.

TK, one time editor of Australasian Dirt Bike and the founder of SideTrack Magazine, had a great following within all spheres of the motorcycle industry. His honesty about various makes and models could get him into hot water or make the bike a huge success. The industry support was universal; from Yamaha's support of the Across Australia Record in 1998 using the new and untested WR400 to Suzuki's support in a number of Australian Safaris including a class win on a DR250.

Despite being a Kiwi, his knowledge of Australia and the australian bush was almost unique.  There would not be a half decent fire trail, interesting single track or back road throughout Australia he hasn't travelled, writtern about or photographed. It could also be argued that he brought trail or adventure riding out of the small time and into a thriving sport. He was instrumental in the formation of the Dual Sport Motorcycle Riding Association (DSMRA), who's aims are to keep riding areas open and to bring like minded riders together.

If you travelled, rode or talked with TK you always received a smile and a dose of his notorious but unique laugh.

I now count every moment I spent with him as lesson on how to live life to the max, just as he did.

His passing was in Newstead near Castemaine in country Victoria. Funeral arrangements have not been made as yet but I will let you know when and where.

Head into the sunset TK and God speed.

Peter Barber

Anything Yamaha. AT1, CT1 (X3), RT1, DT3 (x3), YZ125X,  YZ250E, YZ400D, IT175E, IT250H, XR500RC . Always looking for Pre 78 Yamaha stuff....

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: The Passing of TK (Tony Kirby)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 02:37:15 pm »
Damn.

I never met TK, he was a big influence on me, through the pages of ADB and later SideTrack. His postiveness and enthusiasm for riding and (in particular) for simply getting out there & doing it, certainly changed my outlook on life.
Tony's openess about his battle with depression was a revelation at a time (not so long ago) when most blokes dismissed it as "talking about feelings and all that girl's stuff".

I'd always hoped for his writing to make a comeback, but some things just aren't to be.

Godspeed.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 02:42:18 pm »
I'm in shock :(
Tony was one good guy, told it like it was and paid for it sometimes.
I did a lot of riding with Tony, we were about the same speed and even with ear plugs in you could hear him laughing as he would put a block pass on ya.
What a loss.
RIP TK
Noel      
The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

firko

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 03:33:14 pm »
Damn....I've just walked in to find this bastard bit of news. While Tony and I were never mates in the traditional sense of the word, I liked him immensely and enjoyed his company. He was at the helm at ADB when GE was killed and despite the pressure that sad situation put him under, he managed to keep the magazines focus on a steady tack. I too admired his openness in dealing with the depression that dogged his life and was proud of him for publicly discussing it. I only went riding with hime a few times and each one of those rides will stay with me forever, especially one ride in the Watagans that turned out to be as funny as a hat full of farts for reasons best talked about with a beer in hand!

To be taken out so young in such as cruel way as motor neuron disease is a shit stroke of fate to a bloke who had overcame so much. RIP TK

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 04:17:01 pm »
I was fortunate to have ridden with TeeKay on many occassions, several of those in the Pilbara region of W.A. On one trip, whilst all the riders had a break, Tony climbed a hill to take a pic of us "down below" and realising he was tottering as he focused the lens, decided to squat. As anyone who has spent time in the area can attest, spinifex is a rather spiky grass and TK plonked his arse fair on it - the resulting YELP has had all on that trip, in stitches for years!

His courage in publicly declaring himself to be followed by the "black dog" was liberating to not only myself who has battled this insidious illness, but to all afflicted.

"Sweet is the sleep that ends all pain"

Ride on, mate - you'll not be forgotten.....Tbone
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 04:19:42 pm by TeeBone »
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 07:28:17 pm »
I remember when he launched SideTrack.  My old man bought a subscription to it and it was a damn good read.  Because it was just starting out, it was like reading TK's diary.  Fantastic writer and forever an advocate for dirt bike riders everywhere. 

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 08:06:55 pm »
That's very sad to hear. He was a bike journo par excellence. I had the good fortune to go on his Dingo Tops ride and meet him. He was one of lifes 'Top bloke's'.

He sent us down a steep 3 klm downhill. "You'll be right mate, the track's been swept."......Yeah right.

All dowhills are now a piece of cake and I think of him every time I navigate one.

Thankyou Tony Kirby.
May you Rest In Piece.

Evil Rudy

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 09:34:01 pm »
Well, 2010 has turned out to be an absolute crappy year.

TK was my introduction to moto-journalism in Australia. I was lucky enough to be around Off Road Imports when he took over ADB and went out on his own with Side Track. He was the most enthusiastic MF I’ve ever met, and our owner, Ross King had a lot to do with TK.

I was lucky enough to write a few things for him at ST and to just be around him a few times out of work. He hooked me up with some old test bikes when I needed transport, and was always willing to have a chat about anything, not just bikes. I was astounded that he could produce such a great magazine (Side Track) from the front room of his house (in Harris Park I think).

Somewhere in my archives I have a few slides of TK washing my KX 250 in my front yard for a “before and after“ contest we ran in ADB. I picked up the camera and shot a couple of snaps, and joked to him I will one day be able to say I got the “famous” TK to wash my bike. He was humble enough to drop them to me with a laugh when he had them developed.

Sadly like most things in life, we moved on and didn’t have anything to do with each other since. Sometimes only in knee deep sh!t do we realise the effect people have on us.

May God have mercy and provide you endless traction and a horizon to chase TK. Godspeed.

TT

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 09:37:41 pm »
It's all been said before, so here's a couple of my favouite shots of TK from a 3 week ride we did a couple of years ago. Turns out it was one of his last major trips.

RIP mate

firko

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 12:02:31 am »
This has been one shit year. I heard the horrible news of TK's passing during a brief stop in at home after some Christmas shopping this morning. After a quick splash in the shower I was off to an afternoon Christmas drink with friends. When I got there I was confronted with the shock that one of my best mates of over 40 years Bill had died earlier this morning from what they think was a stroke. Ironically his was one of the Christmas gifts I'd bought this morning and I had it in my hand ready to give him when told of the news. I'm shattered. What made it so surprising is that he was one of the fittest blokes I've ever known.

If you add the passing of my American mate Bob Neilson a couple of weeks ago, my old mate Artie six months ago, a couple of family friends  and of course Magoo this has been a deeply depressing year. I feel so fu*king sad right now....it's all caught up with me. Every one of these guys were wonderful human beings and were way too young. To top it all off we got the news during the week (in a Christmas card of all things) that my ex mother in law had died a month ago. Granted she was 94 but she was a sweet lady and I loved her.

Enjoy and appreciate the love of those close to you as much and as often as you can as you never know when it'll all end. I'm sorry to unload here but I've just arrived home and I needed to get it off my chest.

Evil Rudy

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 01:14:18 am »
Firko,

No bullshit aside, mate, I've enjoyed getting to know you and having a laugh and a cry in the last 12 months. Beyond Magoo and TK and a couple of other extremely shite things this year has been terrible.

I'm thankful you passed through my life.

Man love,
Rudy

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 04:32:48 pm »
 Feel the love from over the pond Firko
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

suzuki43

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 05:33:44 pm »
Feel the love from over the pond Firko
Ditto Uncle Firko.Hang in there old mate.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 06:25:35 pm »
"Enjoy and appreciate the love of those close to you as much and as often as you can" - never a truer word said - it's a shame that we have lost so many good friends this year - everyone - take care eh!  I am glad I have my forum friends always here though.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Damo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 07:33:28 pm »
I too was lucky enough to know Tony, having raced with him in the mighty Hawkesbury club and also having been a test rider for Sidetrack magazine doing a couple of 4 stroke tests including a 400 shootout in 1994 aboard the Husky TE410.
He will be greatly missed.
Godspeed TK.
Damo