Author Topic: twinport fork springs  (Read 2431 times)

Offline stump magnet

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
twinport fork springs
« on: December 14, 2010, 11:56:55 pm »
my fork springs are sacked out any idea what the standard length should be? these are progresive wound springs with 3.8mm dia wire, are the progresive ones standard? i would like to replace with the same if possible cheers

Offline stump magnet

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: twinport fork springs
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 08:42:19 am »
have 160mm travel in the forks and 180mm of available spring movement before coilbound + a 17.5mm preload spacer, are the springs knackered or not? seems to ride ok

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 03:56:39 pm »
I'm not sure on how different the twinport forks are but have you talked to Gerard Copping from CZstuff?
I use a set of springs that came from CRhighperformance in the states in my 73 & it looks like they share suppliers so it would pay to ask them or send Brad(090) a pm to see what he uses in his

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 09:25:36 am »
All the forks are pretty much the same as you can legally use later forks. At a guess grab a set out of a yellow tanker etc.

firko

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 09:45:19 am »
The '75 Falta period forks are the go but it might be seen to be a bit naughty using them on a TP ;D.
A couple of well known identities have used them on their pre 65 Metisses in the past and thought that nobody noticed/cared. ::)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 09:49:48 am »
and the falta ones are the different ones to the rest.the legs are longer and the fork bottoms are different.i have sets of all 3 yellow tank radial and falta.they all interchange falta tops on yellow tanker bottoms.triples are different as well not much though. only a weedy could tell the difference
jim

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 02:46:27 pm »
Hi,
the genuine twinport and sidepipe tops and bottoms are the same,different steering head stem length, 1 inch shorter, than the later ones(see parts book) the yellow tanks, black frames have the same internals but visually different bottoms, red frames have different internals, damper rods, top out springs,guide bushes,are thinner at the top and no bronze bushes in the sliders,75's have external spring load adjusters at the top and double bolted lower fork clamps and longer springs,tubes  and damper rods  but shorter top out springs.
Changing the springs, damper rods,top out (rebound)springs and guide bushes,on the earlier forks  you can get a real 7" travel or more if you aren't careful,
As you can see they are all look the same, except for the bits that are different !
cheers

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 03:02:34 pm »
Hi,
I'd be interested in knowing the REAL/NEW length of both the early and later springs , I never seen two springs the same length from any of the CZs I have ever dismantled.
cheers.

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 03:51:57 pm »
Funny to hear you say that Jikov,that's the same with me.