Author Topic: How's this for an insane price.  (Read 6569 times)

mx250

Re: How's this for an insane price.
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 07:36:59 am »
This is one way you can improve the suspension and handling  ::).

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 07:55:56 am »
Yea, nah GD....went to all the Gracfield races aswell but this was a local up and comer. Old Billy Wetzel had a 750 in his shop and I still remember them starting it by selecting 2nd gear and giving the rear wheel a gentle push and then this thing would light up ....burble, burble, burble, burble....on the workbench of course. They have their own unique sound those tripples....love it. Saw Kork Ballington ride one of his ex works bikes last year at the Aussie Classic champs at Warrick....ya gotta love "Green". If I had the dough-rae-me I would have a couple of tripples along with a TZ750, TZ500 (KR style), RG500, Yoshimura 900 Kwaka and a Roberts GS1000 Suzuki....where the f#@k's Santa-claus.....who said money cant buy happiness....  :( ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 08:05:48 am »
Got it, just that I lost a friend that way in the Gracefield esses in 1975 while I was doing commentary at the far end of the circuit. Re your wish list of bikes, more than half of them will be on view at the Phillip Island Classic on Australia Day weekend.... ;)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 08:41:49 am »
As bad as the H1 and H2 were they could be made to work. A few years after I sold my H2 I met a bloke who was owned a few Kawasaki triples who had made it his lifes mission to tame the beasts.

I think they suffered badly from budget suspension .... like most other Japanese bikes of the day ... at least the Japanese improved, Harley are still using it  ???.
formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 09:12:42 am »
Did he improve the fuel economy (or non-economy as the case may be .)
If fuel economy is a concern, perhaps an H2 wouldn't be your bike of choice anyway. I've never let minor considerations like economy cloud my judgement, as owning only V12 and V8 powered cars may indicate :D.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2010, 09:23:40 am »
I like the way the two guys following the ''smoker'' outfit are trying to get their heads out of the way. :D

mx250

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 09:27:39 am »
Did he improve the fuel economy (or non-economy as the case may be .)
If fuel economy is a concern, perhaps an H2 wouldn't be your bike of choice anyway. I've never let minor considerations like economy cloud my judgement, as owning only V12 and V8 powered cars may indicate :D.
Ya musta been a Boulevard Poser Firko  ;D. Back in the day for me fuel range, a function of fuel economy and tank size both of which the Kawa's lacked, was a major selection criteria - I hate pulling into every servo ya go passed.

firko

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 09:57:58 am »
Ya musta been a Boulevard Poser Firko  .
You got me in one go Graeme...I still am a cafe cruiser and proud of it, I've never much liked long distance touring on two wheels. I prefer the idea of being out of the weather in air conditioned comfort, some cool jazz on the stereo and good conversation with my passenger. I've done the legendary Bucketts Way up to Walcha, considered by many to be one of the best bike roads in OZ on both big roadies and in my Jagwah and the big cat wins hands down. I do however love cruising the capuchino trail on my roadies. There's nothing like an early Sunday morning thrash up the Bells Line of Road to Leura for a nice cup of Java and a cup cake on my mates borrowed Bonny..... 8)

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 10:09:46 am »
My loving old H2 was not stock in the engine department, ie chambers ,porting ,42mm Mikunis , beefed up gears etc but ran stock frame. Did effect the fuel economy (and being  only 19 years  old at the time probably did not help..) Melbourne to Echuca Victoria 212kms = three and a half tanks of good old leaded petrol.... 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 05:34:24 am by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

TooFastTim

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 10:22:24 am »
Never rode the 750 or 500 Kawas but I have ridden the 250. Interesting is how I'd describe the handling. Thing would snake and wallow in the mildest of corners.

mx250

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 12:14:53 pm »
I've done the legendary Bucketts Way up to Walcha, considered by many to be one of the best bike roads in OZ
Bucketts is an interesting trot but I would never rate it near the best. The last time I did Bucketts, about 4 years ago, it was a death trap for cars and bikes with broken edges probably being the biggest danger.

There are many favoured road in Oz  but for uninterpreted ride, challenging, scenery, corners, corners and corners, good predictable surface, yarda, yarda, yarda - The Oxley 8). (But there are others.)

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2010, 07:58:39 pm »
I guess it's way off topic now anyway....but didn't Warren Willing win a Castrol 6 Hour on a 750? Never ridden a triple but few of the Japanese vintage back then handled well.......ya just learned to live [survive] with it.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2010, 11:15:55 pm »
was chesterfeild series at amaroo,all in brawls on H2's, willing,Gary Thomas,Hansford,thats all i can remember offhand,think around the middle to late 70's, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

DR

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2010, 06:49:52 am »
Warren Willing and John Boote claimed 2nd place in the 1973 6HR but Mike Steele and Dave Burgess won the event outright in 1972 riding the 'evil handling' 750 H2 ;)

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2010, 07:42:37 am »
Chris, I think that was 1971 (win) and 1973 (2nd) ?   Anybody alive remember for sure?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 07:47:17 am by lukeb1961 »