Author Topic: Nice trials  (Read 2447 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Nice trials
« on: December 04, 2010, 12:20:58 am »
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Kawasaki-KT-250-Trials-only-2000-ever-manufactured-rare-/230554481659?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item35ae1e33fb

If you want one of the rarest classic trials bikes in the world that seems to be 100% original and complete then this is for you !
Up for sale is my Kawasaki KT 250 Trials Bike , arguable the most beautiful trials bike ever produced very very rare bike .
Totally original bike , could use full restoration or just ride it till you are ready to restore it,  surface rust front forks/ tank etc  , serious rust on exhaust pipe but no leaks  .
Could be a US import as exhaust tail pipe is stamped US Forestry Spark Collector Approved ?
Speedo not working but reads 6707 miles I believe this is correct based on the original state of the bike .
  Runs well but should be serviced  has slow puncher in front tyre and needs a new throttle cable and front brakes need service, but do work .
Im informed this bike would be one of only 30 sold to the Australian market in 1975 .
Im informed there was only ever 2000 of this beauties ever made as Kawasaki entered the trials bike production last of all the other  brands .
Frame number  KT2-00966     Engine Number KT2-001043 .
If you want one of the rarest classic trials bikes in the world that seems to be 100% original and complete then this is for you .
My best estimate is if you spend say $300 or less Australian , for a full service tune up fix puncher  replace throttle cable  , check brakes , in my opinion your,  riding this rare bike any place as she goes well . I have no problem riding it even as it is , but having  said that im a very experienced rider . I recommend at a minimum replace the throttle cable   
Best is in the West !!

DR

Re: Nice trials
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 05:00:14 am »
mmmmmm..silver frosted forks..enough said ::) 1500 tops in my eyes but eh..you never know what people will pay till you put it out there ;)

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 06:39:47 am »
It is interesting to hear that only 30 were sold in Oz in 1975 as I still have my KT250A that I bought new in 1975. It is not in quite as good a nick as this one. Might have to get my finger out and fix the old girl up a bit.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 08:43:52 am »
Don't believe all you read in a ebay seller's ad! They're not nearly as rare as he makes out.
See thread wrt that ad on trials.com.au

firko

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 10:24:10 am »
I agree with Doc......$1500 tops. It's a fairly original example but I think he's a bit deluded with his assessment of its rarity. He's probably right when he states that only thirty were sold in 1975 but I'll bet my sweet bippy that more than 30 were imported. The bottom line was that they weren't near as good as the TY Yamaha and too expensive when compared with the opposition. The unsold 1975 bikes were drastically discounted over the next couple of years to get rid of them to free up warehouse space. I remember speaking to Myles Stivano the boss at Kawasaki at the time and he was privately very critical of the KT (while publicly praising them, as was his job!).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 02:15:02 pm by firko »

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 11:11:48 am »
2000 total production of KT250 sounded way too low to me.

I just checked some nearby KT motors and found numbers spanning more than 6000 units. I would reckon 8000 to 10000 units total would be more likely. That still is a relatively small production run for a Jap bike but that eBay seller seems to be seriously overstating the rarity angle of KTs.

A comparable bike for rarity to the KT would be any one particular model in the series of Bultaco Sherpa Ts.

Oh yeah the engine numbers were
KT2E 001052
KT2E 007656
KT2E 007685
previous pseudonym feetupfun

DR

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 01:31:59 pm »
Our fearless leader Graeme M actually dirt tracked a KT at Action Park Maryborough. I remember seeing the picture, it didn't look half bad even when so far removed from it's element 8) they were an attractive bike that's for sure ;)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 01:45:07 pm »
It got up to 2 grand and didnt meet reserve.....he has now put it back on for 5K buy it now.....funniest thing I've seen all day,,,,the guys a comedian ;D ;D ;D ;D....that thing is probably worth $1500 tops.....he should have taken the 2K.......he should now go and watch "the Castle". He will still own that for another year :D :D :D :D :D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Beefa

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 03:35:16 pm »
Speaking of KT's

Anybody ever come across a frame, 2 engines and a heap of bits for the KT around Lithgow around 4 years ago ?

If so, they were mine. :-[

Long story, but basically had no room in the trailer when I moved to Darwin and I left them in the shed of the old house.

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 11:01:52 am »
i have one i hope mine is worth $5000 ::)
follow me to first turn