Author Topic: TM's what do people think of them?  (Read 4596 times)

Bioflex

TM's what do people think of them?
« on: December 03, 2010, 04:26:13 pm »
I've just bought a 2000 model TM 125, which is about as new as I am prepared to go when you throw cost, reliability, depreciation, fun and other factors into the mix (Here is where VMX shines). They seem to be made up of quality bits and have a good reputation these days, though they are no doubt a hard core no compromise type of bike.

Anyway, after doing a bit of research on the brand, seems they've been around for longer than I thought, starting in the 70's and haviung models every year till now.

Has anyone hear had much to do with them? I see no mention of them in VMX, having an early version would be pretty exotic.

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: TM's what do people think of them?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 05:00:27 pm »
very hand-made, very trick. A bit poor on parts supply althought the guys at Cross Country Action (importers) do try very hard. So long as you keep it in GOOD mechanical condition and maintain it they are VERY GOOD as is everything else around that time (Euro or Jap).  Nice little bike, went like stink, if you are a 125 rider and maintain it correctly you will love it.

I think they started with engines only in go-karting in Europe? Then they supplied a couple mc manufacturers (Gas Gas early on) etc then went to their own full bike.

Kt

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 05:03:11 pm »
Did you buy the bike from ebay, cause i saw one there the other day and it looked good.
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 05:38:02 pm »
I've got two: An 04 125 Enduro, and a 94 125 Enduro.

Love 'em both. The 04 has been a bit 'tricky' with two DNFs from two outings (second one not the bike's fault), but the 94 has treated me very, very well.
It feels very old to ride now, but its still a great bike to ride - there are some aspects that I prefer over the 04 (brake feel in particular).

*touching wood* I've never had a drama with parts availability, even on the 94. Had two minor dramas with CCA - once an order 'got lost' before it was even placed and more recently I was quoted a fair bit less than I got charged.
I'd still rate them in the top 10% of bike shops I've ever dealt with - the two problems were disappointing mostly because they've always been so go and I've learned to expect no hassles...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 05:45:08 pm »
I believe they are no relation as one TM is Japanese and the other one more modern from Europe !!
We see more pre75 TM's than modern TM's on the start line,actually I dont think we've even seen one on the start gate..then again we are in West Aust  ;)  ;D..........Japanese still rule the day!!
cheers
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 06:10:55 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

TooFastTim

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 05:56:58 pm »
brake feel in particular

Having owned one that's exactly what I would have criticized. The rear in particular. Clutch feel/action isn't in the same league as a gasser either. Apart from that bloody good bike.

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 06:30:56 pm »
Just how many bikes have you got Nathan- roughly?!!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 11:13:53 pm »
35ish.
My defence is that I'm not as bad as TM Bill.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 11:57:27 pm »
I'd LOVE a 77 model TM125, but with SFA ever made, I'm not liking my chances...

Having owned one that's exactly what I would have criticized. The rear in particular.

Interesting - I was wondering if it was just my bike.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 06:11:08 am »
i had a 03/04 tm300 the best trail bike i have ever had the pleasure of riding.not to bad on the road if geared right.nathan had a ride on it as well.not a good day that for me(big crash).but made a good freind at the same time.tm125 rider.
they are made with the best parts at the time all good stuff.there are some 450s turn up to our dirt track club days very quick
jim

TooFastTim

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 08:57:00 am »
Interesting - I was wondering if it was just my bike.

At the time Rob Wicks (yup, he of South African VMX fame) was the importer and he suggested changing the return spring for a lighter, japanese spring.

Bioflex

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 05:43:06 pm »
Cheers for the responses guys.
Yep, I picked one up on Ebay the other day. $1800 for a 2000 model that looks to be well looked after was too good to refuse. Thanks to the big Maico 500 packing it in a few weeks before a big riding trip (I've been waiting all year for), drastic action needed to be taken, which came in the way of the TM.

What everyone is saying is consistent with what I have read elsewhere, trick bikes, go like stink, look after them and they should be fine.

Having never owned a 2 stroke 125, I have a few questions.

The last owner changed his rings every 20 hours, I believe pistons every second sets of rings?
Does this sound about right?

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 11:09:30 pm »
AUSTRALIAN SUPERMOTO TITLES recently held on the 4 & 5th .......

Although Gozzini won all the races, he hard pushed by Iddon who did everything in his power to get past the Italain, who only seven days ago was racing for the World Supermoto Championship in Salou.

"It was great racing with Iddon who made it hard for me, but in the end the Franzone TM Racing machine proved to be superior," Gozzini said.

and again quote::

In the S2 class sufficient riders started to ensure it achieved championship status, and WA rider Brett Stewart (TM 660) had a day to remember taking two wins in the first two races and coming home in a strong fourth place to secure his first National title.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 11:11:20 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 12:27:13 am »

The last owner changed his rings every 20 hours, I believe pistons every second sets of rings?
Does this sound about right?

Yeah, that's on the money. Obviously there's a million variables, but that's a good starting point.