Author Topic: New addition to the family  (Read 30792 times)

monaro308

New addition to the family
« on: December 01, 2010, 01:00:00 pm »
Well i couldn't help myself...again  ;D
My new RM250...well thats how it was advertised :D even though PE is plastered over the seat and Vin plate. PE250 7/80   
T model to me PE250-203582 frame and PE250-203467 eng/no

Picked it up this morning and spoke to the mother of the 16 y\old son thats been riding it.
She said it was her brothers bike and bought it new,so its been in the family from day 1.
It died a couple of months ago...no spark she says....so  i'll be checking from the kill button onwards to the typical PE  cdi/stator syndrome.
It has fairly low comp too.....so a strip down will be on the cards
Rear shock numbers match.....ie  not the same# L-R but match Alpha part #.
No leaks and comp/rebound feels fine but bushes flogged out.
Original seat with a couple of tears,original air box lid,forks feel/look good,but it must have a diff front wheel 1/80 with a blanked speedo drive casting.
Oh well i didn't need another project and i can't find a PE175X,so bugger it,a PE250 will do me.
Stay tuned folks!  ;D ;D

TM BILL

Re: New addition to the family
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 01:06:24 pm »
Good score Mario  :) will follow this one with interest . MX conversion or Vinduro bike  ???

DR

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 01:09:42 pm »
 8) not a bad looking thing at all Mario. I am correct to assume you are going to refit all the the PE gear?

monaro308

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 01:42:20 pm »
TM BILL it will be vinduro and would actually like to use it for a change ;D
I've only ever ridden a PE175X (my old one)and kinda wanted the PE250 back then but never regretted getting the 175 (loved it) then karting took over for 13 years ::)

Chris,yeah as hard as it is finding all the PE gear i'm not going to lose sleep over genuine panels and so on (which i'd love)but DC plastics will do for usage and a dress up.
I could barely move in my shed...and now i can't move...lol...and the mower handle has finally hit the door.
I actually started working on the PE175D frame yesterday (section cut out behind left footpeg) and still debating about chasing another frame,but it looks like its going on the backburner again. :D

Already having visions and trying to remember if the 250T cases are similar to the PE175D cases and shoe-horning it into the RM175 that i did???? Only as a back up ;)
Nah this ones staying together but will measure it up just out of curiosity.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 02:01:51 pm »
I could barely move in my shed...and now i can't move...lol...and the mower handle has finally hit the door.

That's why the 'good' mowers have the folding handle - means room for 1 extra bike.  ;)
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

monaro308

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 02:05:19 pm »

That's why the 'good' mowers have the folding handle - means room for 1 extra bike.  ;)

HAHAHA ;D true but being a lazy prick i stopped doing that too.
Although i do have to fold the handle on the H@#da mower in my mums shed as the Monaro takes up that space as well   :D

oldfart

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 05:38:17 pm »
Welcome to the Pe club  ;D    you will be suprised how quick they are.  Does your front brake plate have   Magnesium cast on it ??? if so she be a Rm

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 06:11:29 pm »
Welcome to the Pe club  ;D    you will be suprised how quick they are.  Does your front brake plate have   Magnesium cast on it ??? if so she be a Rm

Dunno oldfart. I'm surprised at how SLOW it feels after my Rotax engined Canams. I seem to remember my old PE being quicker as well - my current 175T is healthy in the engine too. Still, its good as a dunny bike and to lend to my Vinduro novice mates  ;D
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

monaro308

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 02:02:12 am »
Will check the RM125T for the casting in the morning oldfart,can't say i've noticed but i thought RM's had just a basic flat plate,this one has the casting but not machined and will see if it has magnesium.

I think that dunger RM125alphabet :D bike i got early this year had a PE front end....will check that tomorrow as well ;)
I havent fully qualified yet for the PE club,the PE175D is in bits,one 175C is missing alot of parts,
another 175C is the same,the 175E engine is in the RM125 frame (which is great to ride) and another 175D engine in bits.
So this PE250 might get me in the club ;D ;D
I gotta pull me finger out and book the RM175 in for rec rego and put the RM125T engine together and make room to pull the PE250 apart.

cheers...mario

monaro308

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 12:57:11 pm »
Rechecked front wheel this morning and false alarm...the casting is blanked off with silastic and painted over,but wondering if the PE250 hub is larger than the 175.
This one measures 165ish mm and my 175 hubs measure 140mm

I also found my spark problem and typical with PE.....broken magnet :'( and stator windings have broken wires,but coil pulser winding looks good :)

Time to search the hard stuff....all in good fun!
cheers....mario

monaro308

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 02:14:46 pm »
Head down bum up time  ;D
Had a play with the bike this morning and cleaned the thread up on the end of the crank and searched  for a woodruff key.
Wanted to see if the flywheel would give any spark with a rooted magnet,bolted it all up and it did have a spark....not a strong one.
Gave it some fuel and a few kicks...nutting!!
Just the occassional big backfire :o.So i tried an old RM coil,same again.
Then i went through my box of PE175 stuff and tried the whole magneto set up and flywheel....same deal just to see if i had spark (i'm sure Luke said you can modify the 175 plate holes to use on 250's,i'll read up on that later).
No backfire with the 175 set up but has spark.
Pulled the carby off and cleaned and reset the float levels and tried again...same.
Refitted the 250 mag and at least got a backfire again....so i tried the RM cdi off the alphabet bike and after a few kicks it roared into life!!! and idled pretty much straight away ;D

At least i know it runs now,so i'll figure out what to do with the electrics next and may have to run the 175 set up as the 250 flywheel is bastard to find (am i correct Luke and Leith)??

cheers.....mario

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 04:40:04 pm »
The "large" 250/400 T/X flywheel is indeed a bastard to find, as they had a history of dropping the magnets!

Live with the 'old' smaller flywheel and stator. They work fine.

Luke

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 08:24:10 pm »
Can the magnets be secured better by running a bead of something like loctite or super glue around the edges. I have had a couple of PE's and luckily never had the problem but I thought about it afterwards etc. How are they held in place anyway? I saw a good PE250T flywheel at a wreckers recently- unfortunately he knew what it was worth- he wanted $150. Not so bad if you really want one.

oldfart

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 09:12:00 pm »
Most electric motor rewinders should be able to tell you if this is feasable.  ( replace magnets & glue type )

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 09:45:11 pm »
Yeah, they are glued in. The 250/400 T/X larger flywheel magnets seems to have been afflicted with dodgy glue or something. I have seen oh, at least 4 or 5 of them broken, yet I have never yet seen a busted small one (all the 175's and 250's up till then shared the smaller stator/flywheel). The bigger magnets are thicker - perhaps some resonance caused cracking?

The flywheel is effectively exactly the same as the small one, the centre being identical, just a few mm larger in diameter, which increased mass by 33%. The matching stator pushed the coils out a few mm to match and for a reason I have not yet fathomed, they rotated the assembly mount points. I had a PE400 engine with the old/small 175 stator and flywheel and that ran!

Luke