Author Topic: Wasp-Cosworth  (Read 2537 times)

YSS

Wasp-Cosworth
« on: January 20, 2008, 05:25:04 PM »
This is a shot at Monza Park (VIC) with the unique 1000cc overhead cam Cosworth engine.
Very heavey ,but with endless revs .Similar to ride like a Weslake but more grunt. Unfortunately it hade a dry clutch and the oilfumes from the engine made it slip towards the end of every race, which meant pulling the clutch apart between every race......

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Wasp-Cosworth
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 05:45:21 PM »
 Wow ! Walter, more info on the Cosworth lump, please. Was it like a bigger version of the Cosworth twin used in the Norton P86 Challenge roadracer, watercooled etc ? Between this, and your use of extremely large capacity two-strokes, I'm beginning to think you're one sick puppy.... ;)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

YSS

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 05:50:12 PM »
Thanks for the complements, but it cant be too bad , I am turnig 50 and still here.
Yes that Cosworth was also used in road racing . It was virtually a slice of the V car engine.

firko

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 06:13:34 PM »
Here's another cool engine Walter. It's a unit construction dohc 4 valve Weslake 1000 v twin. Apparently they only made a handful of the twin cam Wessy V twins. Alan Jones owns this one mounted in a Terry Mead built road racing frame. It's going to go into a flat tracker eventually. Jonsey will be down there to visit you and pick up my shocks during the Clipsal V8 race weekend.

YSS

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 06:18:19 PM »
Yes thats also a unique engine , I have ridden one . But nowhere near the grunt as the normal Weslake.
The other problem was cooling . The back cilinder used to get cooked.

firko

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 06:21:59 PM »
Do you still own the Cosworth Walter?

YSS

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 06:24:49 PM »
I am trying to get it back . But you know how it is , sometimes you have to wait until the time is right.
At least I know the bloke and it is in safe hands.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 09:54:07 PM »
IM more impressed with the MOustache's
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff